Need some advice on further training

Options
Hello! My name is Kseniia (female) and i am new here and need some advice.
I have been doing mostly glute workout for the last 4 months (and eating accordingly). My butt toned up (not perfect size still but better). I realize that i have some fat on my belly area (as many other girls). I am thinking of changing my workout routine so i can loose some belly fat. But i do not know how i should start because i do not want to loose my glute muscles.

Right now my weight is about 54 kg (119 pounds)
I eat 2200 cal a day; 120 gr or protein; 50-55 gr of fats; 280-300 gr of carbs.
I am thinking to start from reducing calories to 2000 cal a day by reducing carbs; no changing in protein and fats. And will keep doing weights workout for my glutes but also add workouts for abs and some HIIT.
Maybe somebody could give me an advice how to get lean (reduce fat) but at the same time preserve glute muscles that i was able to achieve. I understand that if i reduce calories my glutes will not grow but i realize that right now i need to loose belly fat that i have and maybe later get back to lean mass adding training and nutrition.
I will appreciate advices ;)

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. A moderate deficit is what's needed to lose fat but we can't pick where it comes from.
  • edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I understand that if i reduce calories my glutes will not grow but i realize that right now i need to loose belly fat that i have and maybe later get back to lean mass adding training and nutrition.
    I will appreciate advices ;)

the calories you take in are not going to your glutes. If your glutes have grown, then it's due to the exercises you've been doing. Cutting calories won't necessarily reduce your glutes, cutting the glute exercises will.
    If there is a calorific deficit between what you eat and what you burn, the body will start to metabolise excess fat for energy, not the glute muscle.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Your workout routine shouldn't change much to lose fat, that will come down to your calorie intake. And while you can't spot reduce fat, you can help retain muscle in areas.. so adequate stimulation of the muscles with progressive overload from your training can help do that.

Now you say you are 119lbs.. how tall are you? If you are shorter and are still healthy if you lose a few lbs, eating in a small deficit with adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb bodyweight) and following a progressive lifting program, with focus on the glutes if that is your goal.

If you are closer to the lower end of a healthy weight for your height, I would recommend looking into recomp.. so maintaining your weight. Also getting enough protein and following proper programming.

• kseniiakhramtcova
    kseniiakhramtcova Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Your workout routine shouldn't change much to lose fat, that will come down to your calorie intake. And while you can't spot reduce fat, you can help retain muscle in areas.. so adequate stimulation of the muscles with progressive overload from your training can help do that.

Now you say you are 119lbs.. how tall are you? If you are shorter and are still healthy if you lose a few lbs, eating in a small deficit with adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb bodyweight) and following a progressive lifting program, with focus on the glutes if that is your goal.

If you are closer to the lower end of a healthy weight for your height, I would recommend looking into recomp.. so maintaining your weight. Also getting enough protein and following proper programming.
    Thank you for your advice!!!
    I m about 5.2 (160 cm). So my weight and height are okay, but that belly area irritates me. I started from growing glutes as I was very skinny in that area (all fat is concentrated in belly area). During last 4 months I've got a little bit muscles on my butt area but I would like it to be bigger. However I realize that probably I should first reduce some fat from my belly area so decided to change my workout. I was doing 3 workouts a week for glutes and maybe 1 more day HIIT cardio and abs. Now I would like to do 3 days a week glutes, 3 or 2 days abs, upper body and HITT (no more than 15-20 minutes) and of course eat proper (about 2000 cal; 120-125 gr or protein; 50-55 gr of fats; 240 gr of carbs ).
    Thank you for your advice again!!! ;) Probably it is better to start from fat reducing and after that try to add some lean mass.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thank you for your advice!!!
    I m about 5.2 (160 cm). So my weight and height are okay, but that belly area irritates me. I started from growing glutes as I was very skinny in that area (all fat is concentrated in belly area). During last 4 months I've got a little bit muscles on my butt area but I would like it to be bigger. However I realize that probably I should first reduce some fat from my belly area so decided to change my workout. I was doing 3 workouts a week for glutes and maybe 1 more day HIIT cardio and abs. Now I would like to do 3 days a week glutes, 3 or 2 days abs, upper body and HITT (no more than 15-20 minutes) and of course eat proper (about 2000 cal; 120-125 gr or protein; 50-55 gr of fats; 240 gr of carbs ).
    Thank you for your advice again!!! ;) Probably it is better to start from fat reducing and after that try to add some lean mass.

If you are uncomfortable with your bodyfat now, you can cut down a bit (with the advice I indicated above) then once you are lean enough you can bulk again. Alternatively you can recomp as I mentioned. It is really up to you and your goals, time frame, comfort level. Working your abs that much is fine if you like it but you don't have to focus on them so much to retain muscle there (working them more won't make the fat go down from there any faster).