Food for acid reflux?

Options
Does anyone here suffer from acid reflux, and if so, what do you eat? I'm a very picky eater as it is, and this is limiting my food options even more, so I'm at a loss as to what I can actually eat without making it worse.

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What foods aggravate a reaction? Everyone is different and foods that make my acid reflux kick in might not do the same for you. I try to avoid dairy, spicy/peppery foods, heavy tomato based sauces, bbq sauce, ketchup, raw vegetables, ripe bananas, citrus, some sweeteners, coffee, heavily salted foods.

Figure out what you like, and them see if you can just remove the reaction causing food.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I avoid dairy before bed and know to take a Nexium if I eat tomato based foods for dinner.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Fatty foods are what kick mine off
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I rarely get it, but it's always after I've been asleep for 10-15 minutes. I get up and eat a cracker and go back to bed. Carbonated drinks (diet soda for me) work, too.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I have GERD and was also recently diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia and Erosive Esophagitis. The things that have worked for me -- I eliminated gluten and dairy, chiropractic adjustments, increased water intake, supplemental HCL.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    I avoid dairy before bed and know to take a Nexium if I eat tomato based foods for dinner.

Nexium is supposedly bad for us now.

To the OP: I eat a heavier lunch and a lighter dinner. I avoid dairy, fatty foods, high fiber, and beef at night. I shoot for easy to digest small dinners and it keeps me from reaching for the pill bottle most of the time.
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What really helped for my boyfriend who suffer from reflux was eating way more slowly and avoiding fatty foods.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you look into alkaline foods. Google foods that cause indigestion & exclude them from your diet.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    I would suggest you look into alkaline foods. Google foods that cause indigestion & exclude them from your diet.

Except that for many people alkaline foods are what aggravates their reflux :)
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    PLEASE please please Anyone who suffers from chronic GERD Please get your PANCREAS checked for cancer.
    It is a deadly cancer because it’s rarely noticed before it has spread to other organs. It most often presents as acid reflux first. Please. Insist on testing.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Avoid high protein foods, especially before bed. You can also put something under the legs at the head of your bed, giving it a slight angle, to keep the acid from creeping up the esophagus while sleeping.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    keep a food diary. find your trigger foods
    i'm good with dairy but others can't. i can't do tomatos or bell peppers but others can

this is an all encompassing list

i can do many of these foods but it is a good place to start
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Avoid eating 2 hours before bedtime, and sleep elevated (they make special 'wedge' pillows for that - I slept with one for years). Avoid acidic foods - tomato, broccoli... Seriously, just google 'foods to avoid with acid reflux'.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    PLEASE please please Anyone who suffers from chronic GERD Please get your PANCREAS checked for cancer.
    It is a deadly cancer because it’s rarely noticed before it has spread to other organs. It most often presents as acid reflux first. Please. Insist on testing.

Curious what the link is? What if you've had GERD your entire life as does your mom... uncle.. etc.?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    in rare cases, it is a symptom
    that was just one article. i'm not speaking to the validity of the source but there were many similar articles claiming the same thing
    like a toothache can be a sign of heart disease (Frasier)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me it was a symptom of being too fat. Lost even 40 lbs and it was gone.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    that was just one article. i'm not speaking to the validity of the source but there were many similar articles claiming the same thing

Are you an oncologist?
  • stanmann571
    Options

Unicorns, zebras or horses?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Are you an oncologist?

Are you?