Food for acid reflux?

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    in rare cases, it is a symptom
    that was just one article. i'm not speaking to the validity of the source but there were many similar articles claiming the same thing
    like a toothache can be a sign of heart disease (Frasier)

Are you an oncologist?

no but i can read articles from scientific journals.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Dairy gets me every time.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    PLEASE please please Anyone who suffers from chronic GERD Please get your PANCREAS checked for cancer.
    It is a deadly cancer because it’s rarely noticed before it has spread to other organs. It most often presents as acid reflux first. Please. Insist on testing.

This is very true. This happened to someone I know.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    While I don't know about cancer, acid reflux can be a sign of a lot of different issues. Celiac disease can present that way, for example. Food intolerances can sometimes present that way. Low level food allergies can present that way sometimes. And...sometimes pregnancy can show up like this, too.

Definitely, you'll need to figure out what your trigger foods are for this (often an elimination diet and food journal is required). If, however, you are planning on eliminating gluten at all for this part of things, I'd highly recommend getting a quick blood test for celiac disease first. Celiac disease is the disease that is triggered by eating gluten. Sadly, though, our testing is still pretty crude, and it can only detect celiac disease by looking for weeks of accumulated markers of a reaction TO gluten, and damage from it. Once a person stops eating gluten, the markers slowly go down and eventually a celiac will test negative for the disease.

But for many celiacs, if they go gluten free and start feeling better, they can't physically tolerate what would be required to get tested (which is, currently, to go back ON gluten until you damage yourself so much that the tests can detect it). So it's usually better to get tested before you go gluten free, especially if you have gut issues at all.

Just general acid reflux thought - staying upright as much as possible after eating, while digesting, can help keep the reflux lower. So not before-bed snacks for example.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    that was just one article. i'm not speaking to the validity of the source but there were many similar articles claiming the same thing

Are you an oncologist?

Are you?

Just because you give smart a** comments doesn’t mean everyone does.
    I was sicerely asking because it is not one of those cancers that’s covered as much. Steve Jobs’ death brought some light on it, but it’s not like googling breast cancer. My mother died of it. That’s why I’m interested in it. Alerting someone to be an advocate for their health is not hunting unicorns. I hope whatever has made you so cynical gets better.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For me it was a symptom of being too fat. Lost even 40 lbs and it was gone.

Ditto. I used to buy Gaviscon at Costco every second week. Now it's rare that I have heartburn and can track it to eating too much. I'm not set off by any particular food (that I can tell).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For me it was a symptom of being too fat. Lost even 40 lbs and it was gone.

Ditto. I used to buy Gaviscon at Costco every second week. Now it's rare that I have heartburn and can track it to eating too much. I'm not set off by any particular food (that I can tell).

Mine definitely trends based on my weight and Visceral fat level.
  • stanmann571
    edited June 2018
    Options

Are you an oncologist?

Are you?

I was sicerely asking because it is not one of those cancers that’s covered as much. Steve Jobs’ death brought some light on it, but it’s not like googling breast cancer. My mother died of it. That’s why I’m interested in it. Alerting someone to be an advocate for their health is not hunting unicorns. I hope whatever has made you so cynical gets better.

Hunting unicorns is hunting unicorns.

I'm sorry about for your loss, but that doesn't change the fact that pancreatic cancer is a unicorn. Especially when compared with breast cancer.

Hunting unicorns makes great TV(Thanks House), but it's not advisable as a lifestyle choice.

• HestiaMoon1
    Options

Are you an oncologist?

Are you?

I'm sorry about for your loss, but that doesn't change the fact that pancreatic cancer is a unicorn. Especially when compared with breast cancer.

Hunting unicorns makes great TV(Thanks House), but it's not advisable as a lifestyle choice.

I’ve never seen House.
    I’m not going to stop encouraging people to be strong advocates for their health.
    Again I’m sorry for whatever is troubling you.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Are you an oncologist?

Are you?

I’ve never seen House.
    I’m not going to stop encouraging people to be strong advocates for their health.

I thought I was pretty clear. It's troubling that you're fearmongering. It's troubling that you're clouding the issue of reflux with a highly improbable distraction by bringing unicorns(pancreatic cancer) into the discussion.

Fearmongering is not advocating for health it's advocating for fear and paranoia.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options

Are you an oncologist?

Are you?

I’ve never seen House.

I thought I was pretty clear. It's troubling that you're fearmongering. It's troubling that you're clouding the issue of reflux with a highly improbable distraction by bringing unicorns(pancreatic cancer) into the discussion.

Fearmongering is not advocating for health it's advocating for fear and paranoia.

It’s troubling that you don’t want others to take the best care of themselves they can.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    PLEASE please please Anyone who suffers from chronic GERD Please get your PANCREAS checked for cancer.
    It is a deadly cancer because it’s rarely noticed before it has spread to other organs. It most often presents as acid reflux first. Please. Insist on testing.

This is very true. This happened to someone I know.

I have a friend with pancreatic cancer...it wasn't so much that it presented as GERD but that it was diagnosed as such by the doctor because it was much more likely to be GERD than pancreatic cancer. They gave him some medication and it persisted so he went back a week later which is when they found the cancer.

The likelihood that someone suffering from GERD has pancreatic cancer is pretty low...and really, at that point if it is pancreatic cancer, it's far too late. That pain is one of the first physical symptoms, but by the time you have that pain, the cancer has been around awhile and has typically already spread to the liver and/or other organs.

In most cases, someone suffering from that pain who actually has pancreatic cancer will be dead in a matter of weeks...maybe a month or two tops. My friend has the kind that Steve Jobs had which is more rare and they give him 3-5 years, but it's incurable.

I do think this is all a bit scare monger...it's highly unlikely that someone with GERD has pancreatic cancer...not impossible, but really, really, really unlikely.

As to the OP...I used to get acid reflux all the time...really didn't seem to matter the foods. I think it was a combination of serving sizes that were too large and being overweight. The only time I ever get it since I've lost 40 Lbs is if I have a very large meal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 don't be all reasonable now. :wink:
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This is turning into a WebMd search...
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    I guess I have a different level for labeling fear-mongering. If I’d said, “Oh my god you belched after eating! Start chemo now! You’re dying.” That would be fear mongering to me. This was just suggesting someone resquest an extra test to be on the safe side.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    I guess I have a different level for labeling fear-mongering. If I’d said, “Oh my god you belched after eating! Start chemo now! You’re dying.” That would be fear mongering to me. This was just suggesting someone resquest an extra test to be on the safe side.

Getting extra and unnecessary tests is what pushes up everyone's healthcare costs.

The Placebo effect is powerful as is the WebMD effect . Seeing cancer behind every door and pursuing cancer tests for every toothache and rumble in your gut is the exact definition of fearmongering. Encouraging people to suspect the improbable instead of the mundane is fearmongering. I choose to not live that way. Emotional and Mental health is part of whole wellness and advocating for your own health. Chasing waterfalls and rainbows and unicorns doesn't benefit anyone.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Getting extra and unnecessary tests is what pushes up everyone's healthcare costs.

The Placebo effect is powerful as is the WebMD effect . Seeing cancer behind every door and pursuing cancer tests for every toothache and rumble in your gut is the exact definition of fearmongering. Encouraging people to suspect the improbable instead of the mundane is fearmongering. I choose to not live that way. Emotional and Mental health is part of whole wellness and advocating for your own health. Chasing waterfalls and rainbows and unicorns doesn't benefit anyone.

I am sorry you are so anxious. I do hope your life gets better.

I'm not the one who sees cancer behind every door.

LOL

You're confused. :)
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options

I am sorry you are so anxious. I do hope your life gets better.

I'm not the one who sees cancer behind every door.

LOL

You're confused. :)

You can project your worries onto me if that makes you feel better, but I’m not the one using the word “every.”
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had heartburn for a very short while. When I cut my evening snack the problem went away. So mess around with food timing and see if that helps.