New Runner... help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1. Running on the treadmill is harder on my body than my outside runs. I have no reason why. It’s also easier for me to maintain a faster pace outside. Try it out slowly.
    2. I love doing runners stretch, and I too. Pigeon stretch. Anything to warm the hips and hamstrings!

For me, I don't know if the treadmill is harder but I cannot do more than 30 mins on it. Outside I can go for a couple of hours. Might be all in my mind.
  • kbs52582
    kbs52582 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much again... tips on "proper"'running stores? I live in Southern Massachusetts if anyone is local and knows of a great place! Will try outdoor running also, have heard that running on a treadmill can be more rough on your knees and lower legs/feet. Knee feels ok today but again I have taken a break so trying to figure out when to jump back in. Thinking a mod paced walk on treadmill tonight? Not feeling a good burn is completely frustrating!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kbs52582 wrote: »
    Thanks so much again... tips on "proper"'running stores? I live in Southern Massachusetts if anyone is local and knows of a great place! Will try outdoor running also, have heard that running on a treadmill can be more rough on your knees and lower legs/feet. Knee feels ok today but again I have taken a break so trying to figure out when to jump back in. Thinking a mod paced walk on treadmill tonight? Not feeling a good burn is completely frustrating!

http://www.fleetfeetlongmeadow.com/
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I do a higher incline at a slower run pace when on the treadmill. The incline seems to alieve the joint pains. Outside I’m able to run faster and longer but being from Canada, I’m limited to how much of the year I can get outside.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I do a higher incline at a slower run pace when on the treadmill. The incline seems to alieve the joint pains. Outside I’m able to run faster and longer but being from Canada, I’m limited to how much of the year I can get outside.

Of course, it can also lead to achilles tendonopathy...
  • ashleyrebekah392
    ashleyrebekah392 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As mentioned it could be the shoes. I had this happen to me a few months ago being a beginner runner I just jumped right in and my calves and knees were hurting within about a month. I started back after a couple week break and walked about 5 mins then did a slow jog for about 5 mins then ran. And I stretched really good afterwards. I don't know if any of this was helpful but I hope it's better soon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,960 Member
    Options

No tips for stores but hello from South of Boston :)

Please do not try to "work through" knee injuries. I hurt mine in 2009 and still have to baby them.

I do these regularly:

mthetr53n9c6.jpg
  • kbs52582
    kbs52582 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As mentioned it could be the shoes. I had this happen to me a few months ago being a beginner runner I just jumped right in and my calves and knees were hurting within about a month. I started back after a couple week break and walked about 5 mins then did a slow jog for about 5 mins then ran. And I stretched really good afterwards. I don't know if any of this was helpful but I hope it's better soon.

Very helpful, thank you! I think I jumped into it too quickly too (the adrenaline from running is pretty great