Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

More people need to get educated on weight loss surgery.

Options

Replies

• Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    3reglamc wrote: »
    I personally don’t care what someone else chooses to do with their body, I however on my journey to being healthy and thinner I look up to woman/men who haven’t had gastric surgery because I admire the strength & dedication that it takes not just to workout but the struggle to go out and have to face temptation and either say no or make a healthier choice and watch your portion. Someone how has had any kind of gastric surgery has a smaller stomach, they can only eat as much as an egg or so = reducing the amount of calories you can take in. Just my humble opinion and everyone should choose whatever path works for them.

Funny I have had RNY gasyric bypass and i can eat more than an egg. It is also a malabsorptive procedure.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    One of my good friends who had the bypass surgery several years ago is in hospice right now, in kidney and liver failure as a result of type 2 diabetes. A few days ago she gave the order to stop food and fluids and now is just waiting. The surgery sometimes reverses diabetes but it didn't for her. She lost a lot of weight, but not enough that she wasn't still what a stranger would call "really fat," and she nearly died from complications of the surgery which lasted over a year, and then she stretched her stomach pouch back out due to refusing to change her eating habits.

The surgery was nightmarish for her and in the long term did not save her life. But when she got it, she was unable to walk without assistance and her doctor believed she would die in six months, and it has been I think seven years. So, not a complete success, but seven years of life is not nothing, either.

I wish I understood what about her drove her to be unable to change her lifestyle. She is a brilliant person otherwise, and strong willed and responsible. But she also made garlic mashed potatoes with alouette dip which were the best tasting, fattiest thing, and then she ate them even though after her surgery they made her throw up. I wish she had lived her life differently, so she could keep living. I'm going to miss her.

So sorry, rheddmobile.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Yachts need bling. That's what bariatric surgery is really for.

ಠ_ಠ
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    anuwine wrote: »
    Here's my experience with WLS: I am a former VSG patient from 2007. This weight loss surgery was for cosmetic reasons only. I wasn't extremely obese and wanted the easy way out. That's how I see it now but didn't back then. After losing all this weight, I couldn't eat for months and I started feeling skinny and sexy and I was able to dress sexy. Well this was a trigger for me to drink. Drinking wine was way easier then eating. My drinking progressed in a years time after my surgery. To make a long story short, with God's help, I have 9 years sober. My addiction transfer was to sugar and carbs. I started grazing and have gained all my weight back.

Weight loss surgery is "A double edged sword". Here's how I see it; you need to lose weight because of high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, which can lead to heart issues. There is also joint pain, etc.... What got you there in the first place i.e., food addiction? It is a symptom of something deeper. If this isn't dealt with, addiction transfer is inevitable. Remember, all addictions, if not dealt with, will lead to death.

My lesson: There are no "easy-way" outs. Hard work it what it takes to be successful in a healthy mind and spirit. Having a relationship with God has been a big part of my alcohol recovery so I am going to work this journey the same way.

Question: Has anybody else experienced the VSG in this way? Am I alone?

Cross Addictions is very popular. You have to deal with the reasons why you eat or you will either regain or switch your addiction. You are not alone but I am glad you got through that and have maintained your sobriety!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is not the easy way out. If you think it is, you have been lied to. There is a very long approval process and a very long adjustment period after. There can be pain, sickness and follow-up surgeries afterwards not to mention comments made in ignorance by people who have no clue what you go through emotionally, physically, spiritually and finacially. All of this just to get you a little closer to being ready to diet and EXERCISE for the rest of your life just like everyone else or gain it all back! There are no free rides!! Surgery is a tool not a free ride!! I put this under debate because I know a lot of people are against getting the surgery.

I wish I could tag my M.I.L in this. She got weight loss surgery and is using it as an out to eat the same, not exercise, etc. I keep trying to tell her that just because the weight is gone does not mean she is now healthy, but she doesn't get it. Never will.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the post, if her excess weight is gone then she's not eating the same as she was before. She's eating less.

She's gaining everything back. Not eating less.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    While i personally don't believe that surgery should be an answer for people, I have at least one friend who has had it done. She initially had the band. She went from morbidly obese to a very healthy weight - not stick thin or wanting to wear a bikini, but no one would have called her "fat." She remained in this range for a number of years, at least 6 years that I'm aware of. Her lifestyle, you would think, would have adjusted.

I think many of the responders to this debate this of WLS as only the gastric bypass. Because people can still eat the same afterwards (after the honeymoon period) and re-stretch out their stomach, people think WLS has no advantage. I might agree with you on gastric bypass. But the lap band/sleeve PHYSICALLY constrains the person as to how much they can eat. So for a person who does not have the willpower to change their habits, it FORCES them to eat less calories, resulting in weight loss. Yes, there are still ways around it, like drinking your calories, but it's a lot harder. For people with life threatening medical issues who just WILL NOT change their habits...but who still want to live, this is a viable procedure to me.
  • amalalalawi
    amalalalawi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am one of who is against the surgery. After surgery you need also to take care of your food if not then you may gain weight again. Actually, I know some people who did weight loss surgery and they did not keep their food good, they gain weight and become worse than before.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is not the easy way out. If you think it is, you have been lied to. There is a very long approval process and a very long adjustment period after. There can be pain, sickness and follow-up surgeries afterwards not to mention comments made in ignorance by people who have no clue what you go through emotionally, physically, spiritually and finacially. All of this just to get you a little closer to being ready to diet and EXERCISE for the rest of your life just like everyone else or gain it all back! There are no free rides!! Surgery is a tool not a free ride!! I put this under debate because I know a lot of people are against getting the surgery.

I think unless you’ve been told that you have probably a week to live due to your weight then you should aim to eat less and move more until you lose that weight