Keto Diet Advice?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I mean, you don’t NEED to track calories, but don’t come running back to the “my fitness pal police” when you’ve plateaued in a month or two after losing a bunch of water weight wondering why...

Weighing your food and counting calories is the only sure fire way to ensure you’re eating in a deficit, which is the only way to lose weight. It doesn’t happen any other way. Can you lose weight without counting? Yes, but it leaves minimal room for error, especially if you’re already smaller and have only a little to lose. Counting calories is a good way to give yourself freedom in your diet and peace of mind.

It's not he only way and for some people it's not even the best or easiest way.

I saw a member post this on another thread and thought is was worth quoting:

"Calorie counting is not an exact measure. You don't know exactly how many calories were in the food you just ate and you don't know exactly how many calories you burned that day. The good news is you don't have to. Because you get feedback over time from the scale. It's like a very long game of hot and cold. If you're losing weight over time at the rate you were going for, your counting is close to the actual amounts, if you're not losing weight at the rate you were going for, you have to adjust."

That memeber was me.

I'd like to know what the other ways for being sure about your calorie intake are though? The only other way I could think off the top of my head would be eating exactly the same every single day and adjusting the portions.
    Cause I certainly don't know how an omelette compares to a steak, compares to a bowl of cereal etc. calorie wise without counting and I wouldn't know after a month of my weight not changing which days were the problem where I'd have to adjust apart from a vague "I have to eat less".
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Precision is not important to those who have already figured out what helps them stay in a deficit, but that doesn't mean that OP will have the same experience. It's important to know that there are options, and keto is one of them. That's it's okay to try it, and that it's okay to stop doing it if it's not working.

Without calorie counting, it's pretty much trial and error, and trial and error is a valid choice of doing this as long as the person is aware why something isn't working. It isn't because they're somehow doing keto wrong and need to go on an egg fast, it's simply because they're eating more than they should and that's what they need to address. Same goes for intuitive eating, plant-based, Mediterranean, IF, or any method a person chooses to experiment with.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I mean, you don’t NEED to track calories, but don’t come running back to the “my fitness pal police” when you’ve plateaued in a month or two after losing a bunch of water weight wondering why...

Weighing your food and counting calories is the only sure fire way to ensure you’re eating in a deficit, which is the only way to lose weight. It doesn’t happen any other way. Can you lose weight without counting? Yes, but it leaves minimal room for error, especially if you’re already smaller and have only a little to lose. Counting calories is a good way to give yourself freedom in your diet and peace of mind.

It's not he only way and for some people it's not even the best or easiest way.

I saw a member post this on another thread and thought is was worth quoting:

"Calorie counting is not an exact measure. You don't know exactly how many calories were in the food you just ate and you don't know exactly how many calories you burned that day. The good news is you don't have to. Because you get feedback over time from the scale. It's like a very long game of hot and cold. If you're losing weight over time at the rate you were going for, your counting is close to the actual amounts, if you're not losing weight at the rate you were going for, you have to adjust."

That memeber was me.

I'd like to know what the other ways for being sure about your calorie intake are though? The only other way I could think off the top of my head would be eating exactly the same every single day and adjusting the portions.
    Cause I certainly don't know how an omelette compares to a steak, compares to a bowl of cereal etc. calorie wise without counting and I wouldn't know after a month of my weight not changing which days were the problem where I'd have to adjust apart from a vague "I have to eat less".

Essentially that is how I do things. It is kind of like taking shots in the dark at times. If the scale isn't changing... I either eat less (cut out portions, snacks etc)... or move more (add more cardio, walking, jump around the house etc). I used to log my food years ago so I have a general idea what is going on. Sometimes I will weigh my snacks or meals, or just my protein. It's definitely not exact though, and for many it would be easier to just track calories. That for me would be a last resort only if I had to and only for maybe a week or so.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    LW3380 wrote: »
    To lose weight, you need a consistent calorie deficit and patience. You can eat whatever you like. It's easiest if you eat food you like.

that's not keto advice at all

Neither is your comment...

Neither is yours ;)
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    LW3380 wrote: »
    To lose weight, you need a consistent calorie deficit and patience. You can eat whatever you like. It's easiest if you eat food you like.

that's not keto advice at all

Neither is your comment...

Neither is yours ;)

Touché! :p
  • Klkbankert
    Klkbankert Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto for 9 months. My husband and I have both been successful with this way of eating and find it relatively easy. In my opinion, the key to being successful is meal prepping. If you are on Facebook, I would highly recommend a group called Low Carb Journey (Cooking Keto with Kristie). She counts total carbs (not net). We have found this group to be very helpful and supportive with all our questions. Kristie Huneycutt Sullivan also has several keto cookbooks and You Tube videos out there that you may find helpful.