Can I eat whatever I want?

Options
nic041mccoy
nic041mccoy Posts: 74 Member
This may be a dumb question, but as long as I stay in my daily calorie defecit, can I eat whatever I want no matter how “unhealthy”?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here’s a Carl’s Jr burger, no fries, no drink.

https://www.carlsjr.com/menu/nutritional_calculator

If you are on a 1500 calorie a day diet this one burger will suck up a full third of your day’s calories. Fat and sizzly, yes. Calorie king, yes.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    HarryPro wrote: »
    I find that a lot of people get sticker shock when they first start really looking at the calories in something.

Yes! I love Fatburger strawberry milkshakes, and before I joined MFP we'd have them maybe once a month or so. Then I discovered one has about 900 calories in it. I've had two in the last 2.5 years!

But yeah, if I couldn't fit in some treats here and there (or every day, sometimes!) I'd have given up long ago.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    To lose weight: yes

All you have to do is stay in a calorie deficit. Now, a diet of purely junk food will most likely lead to other health problems. Having snacks in moderation along with generally healthy foods is just fine.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It may be the best question you'll be asking this year. So many people (including myself) struggle/have struggled with weight management for years, trying to adhere to all the "good advice" out there, like the good little girls (or boys) we are inside. That is nonsense! To maintain a healthy weight, all we have to do, is not eat too much (too many calories) over time. But to maintain good health, of course we have to eat a healthy diet. But a healthy diet is NOT restrictive. A healthy diet is the opposite, it's balanced and varied, fresh and tasty and delicious. No foods are in themselves unhealthy (or healthy), it's all about balance. No foods are fattening (or aiding weightloss), it's all about portions and frequency. MFP tells you how many calories you should eat to lose, maintain or gain weight. Common sense tells you what to eat. If you're unsure, look up "Harvard Healthy Eating Plate" but please, please, for your own sake, for your own health - stop being the good little girl/boy and use common sense when you read, and adjust to your own preferences and your own real life situation.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes of course! But with that unfortunately bad foods are higher in calories so you won't be able to each as much of those foods and then you'll end up hungry unless you do ALOT of exercise you can give your self some more cals to play with. I have done this a few times if I had a McDonald's I literally could only eat something small if I didn't do exercise :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    There are no 'bad' foods. There are staples, treats, and extremely special treat foods.

It's about portion control, context and dosage.
    eople would call that "good" food. But if I'd had a larger portion of it, it would have taken me over my calories.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I do and I've lost 40lb in the last 18 months, however, I exercise more and don't have as much as I used to have. I don't deny myself anything and adjust other days if I've gone particularly mad.

Also, as Danp says, I find myself wanting healthier things nowadays - I could literally eat my own weight in strawberries right now (and that's a lot despite the loss lol) but last year I would have killed for chocolate cake yet last month took the kids out and watched them eat theirs without having some myself.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It is really important to get yourself started and be patient. If you find yourself hungry too often hurry back here and this forum can provide you with some strategies to try. Give yourself time to get it right before worrying about the scale.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    HarryPro wrote: »
    In theory, yeah. But keep in mind that a Whopper is like 700 calories. I find that a lot of people get sticker shock when they first start really looking at the calories in something. You may like a Whopper but then when you realize how much you're cutting out to have it its less appetizing somehow.

But treat yourself by all means, if you don't allow something here and there you'll just grow to hate the diet and abandon it. Good luck.

Oh yeah! I know that feeling. I used to love Frappacinos, then I saw the calorie content. I haven't had one in a very long time.

Now I budget around 200 calories for my evening snacks. Tonight was 2 Tim Tam's at a total of 190 calories, so they fit my calories for the day.

My aussie friend got me addicted to tim tams. Unfortunately for me it is either like 5+ or none so I save them for special times.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you're on a 2800 calorie a day diet, this burger will fit in quite neatly without struggle or inconvenience.

Context matters.

For a Tall, active person a Fast food burger is just another part of another normal meal. for a less active, more sedentary person it's quite a challenge, but even then, it's still only 1/3 of those calories, and provides a meaningful quantity of your days protein. So it's not that big of a challenge.

You could also be a person that eats less for the other meals to save a most of the days calories for one meal. My wife who has less to work with than I do can make that burger fit in her dinner.