Sedentary desk job - craving nightmare!

Options
bufger
bufger Posts: 763 Member
I'm sure many of you can relate..

I'm having a slow day at work. Not many meetings, lots of paperwork to do. I'm sitting here typing away and because i'm so bored my stomach keeps talking to me. I'm drinking loads of water and waiting for as long as possible to start eating.

The old me would have eaten lunch before 11am (sometimes 10am) then bought snacks around 2pm...

Any tips/tricks to get over the craving?

"My minds telling me noooooo, but my body, my body is telling me yeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeessss"

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If I get too hungry, I will eat lunch early. Then have a banana or yogurt in the afternoon instead of snack machine stuff.

I pack all my food except dinner everyday. I get to eat all of it, at any time I want, but when it's gone, I don't allow myself extras.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk round the building - or go and look at the cafeteria cakes and snacks for if I need one at 3pm - sometimes I go look at 11am - but usually I find it easier to resist before lunch. If I go and look, often there isn't anything there I really want. But I have found, if I don't go and look, the cravings just get worse until I am happy with the dried up crust of cake from a week ago!

Also, rice cakes broken up - small piece of dark choc broken up into even smaller chunks - the breaking up and eating individual pieces kills time.

11am and 2-3pm are my worst times. I try and save as many calories as I can for grazing in the evening as I like to do. Sometimes just reminding myself of this plan helps during work time.

Diet drinks are another good one as mentioned above - can of diet Dr Pepper totally solves my cake need.
  • charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't take any unhealthy snacks to work. So many people make this mistake, but it's the most obvious one. If you don't take unhealthy snacks to work, you can't eat unhealithly (Don't take any money to buy any either).

After a few days, maybe a week, your body adapts and you don't feel as hungry during the morning. I'm now able to have a tin of tuna and some low calorie popcorn, which lasts me from 6am (Wake up time) until 1pm (Lunch time). I have 1 or 2 tea's or coffee's too.

Try a lower calorie day, it will be tough but after a few of these, you get used to it. I've been doing this for about a month now and i'm considerably more toned - which I started it 2 months ago.
  • Nikki_Lee12
    Nikki_Lee12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I struggle with. I always do good with my smoothie for breakfast and then I bring a salad for lunch but around 2:30/3 pm when I am sitting at my desk the afternoon slump hits and I always just want to snack =/I dont think I am hungry, just bored.
  • bufger
    Options
    Thanks all, glad to know i'm not the only one.
    @beerfoamy you sound just like me! My worst times are 10-11 and around 2pm. I was thinking of splitting lunch into two - same quantity and things i would usually have but have lunch1 at 10am and lunch2 at 2pm. Then dinner at 6 means there is only ever 4 hours between! I just like eating :(
    @charlieaulert thanks for the tips. I'm working on not bringing in any 'treat foods' but i like the idea of lower calorie days as a challenge to myself and to speed up the cutting process. I'm eating at a 500cal defecit at the moment.
    @tinkerbellang83 chewing gum! why didnt i think of that. Thanks
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    For me, I find if I don't get at least a quarter of my daily protein goal for breakfast then I get the same kind of cravings. If I do breakfast with plenty of filling things (fats, protein, or fiber) then I usually don't even think about food till lunch time. I'm not saying that it will be the same for anyone else but I think the point is, rather than figuring out how to soothe the craving, find the craving trigger and then figure out how not to pull it. Good luck!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    brownnl121 wrote: »
    This is exactly what I struggle with. I always do good with my smoothie for breakfast and then I bring a salad for lunch but around 2:30/3 pm when I am sitting at my desk the afternoon slump hits and I always just want to snack =/I dont think I am hungry, just bored.

Part of the issue, for PP and OP, may be the breakfast you're having (if you're eating breakfast, OP). I have been at this for a while now, learned a lot from the forums, got to a point a while ago where I am okay with slow going in order to help teach myself maintenance habits and have time to experiment.

I have experimented with macros and find that, for me, I need fat and fiber with a meal to be satiated. Some people find protein satiating, others carbs (yes, carbs). Satiety is a very individual thing. Have you tried playing with your macros?

Also, I have experimented with meal sizes, and again, macros. I used to have a smaller breakfast and lunch so that I could have calories for a mid-morning snack and a mid-afternoon snack. Part of this is because I was regularly hungry at those times and if I get too hungry, I can get a migraine. So I was fearful of not having calories for a snack and either not eating and risking a migraine, or going over calories. Well, I have discovered that if I have a breakfast of around 500-600 calories and a lunch around the same number, with the meal being well-balanced, I almost always get to my next meal without noticing any hunger except the normal pre-meal time type of hunger.

I do drink coffee at my desk in the morning (two cups in a travel thermos), which can be an appetite suppressant, but I have also noticed that there are times when I haven't had even half of it by lunchtime and I'm still fine. I also often have a cup of tea in the afternoon.

These changes have really helped me. And once I was okay with experimenting (reasonably), and giving it time to see how it works, and going a little over calories if I had to, I've been more successful at finding things that work for me. I mean, you're at a deficit, so if you go over your allotted calories while experimenting, it's not a big deal. You won't gain weight unless you eat over maintenance. To me, it's more important to develop habits that will help with maintenance, where so many people fail, and take a little longer to get there, than stick rigidly to a self-imposed calorie deficit. I'm trying out maintenance for a while now, so now I get to see how the strategies I have developed work.

ETA: The reason I quoted PP is that, while I love smoothies and find them a nice way to get extra veggies in during the summer, they just usually aren't that filling for me. I can't have only a smoothie for breakfast or I will definitely need a snack before lunchtime.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I keep a drawer full of snacks that I know won't ruin things for me. I just looked and right now I have Lara Bars, Epic Bars, 100 calorie nut packs, sardines, raisins, Made Good Granola Bars, foil pouches of tuna, and one lonely Hershey Kiss.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I have some healthier food to snack on (current favourites include carrots & dip, almonds and raisins). Or if it's before lunch I'll have a black coffee.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am such a snacker, even if I have a big meal I usually want a snack every couple of hours so that's just how I've spread out my food. My day is usually spread out like:

10:30 Breakfast (usually 200 cals)
    12:15 Lunch (Usually 350-500 cals)
    2:00 Small snack (Usually < 100 cals cus this snack is purely cus I want to eat, not cus I'm hungry, today I have 100g of strawberries, cottage cheese one of my go tos though cus protein)
    3:30 Snack (between 100-200 cals, banana today)
    5:30 Supper (300-500 cals)
    6/6:30 (Dessert/snack)

Even though my snacks are pretty small, when I start feeling snacky at 2 it's nice knowing I have a small snack to last me until my next snack. My maintenance is 1600 so I really have to plan everything out in order to get any sort of a deficit.

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I find that snacking leads to more cravings and urges to snack more, so I try to limit myself to full meals instead.

I pack a hearty breakfast for myself like overnight oats with protein powder, Greek yogurt and chia. If I eat it around 9-10am, it keeps me full until lunch.

I pack my own lunch as well, sometimes a soup and sandwich, sometimes leftovers.

So basically... I just make sure I have enough tasty, homemade food to get me through the day.

If I feel an urge to 'boredom eat' at work, I drink some tea or chew gum. I have a stash of at least 20 flavours of tea at my desk, and a few packs of gum.

You could always just leave your cash and cards at home, to fully prevent yourself from buying treats.
  • bufger
    edited June 2018
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    brownnl121 wrote: »

Part of the issue, for PP and OP, may be the breakfast you're having (if you're eating breakfast, OP). I have been at this for a while now, learned a lot from the forums, got to a point a while ago where I am okay with slow going in order to help teach myself maintenance habits and have time to experiment.

I have experimented with macros and find that, for me, I need fat and fiber with a meal to be satiated. Some people find protein satiating, others carbs (yes, carbs). Satiety is a very individual thing. Have you tried playing with your macros?

Also, I have experimented with meal sizes, and again, macros. I used to have a smaller breakfast and lunch so that I could have calories for a mid-morning snack and a mid-afternoon snack. Part of this is because I was regularly hungry at those times and if I get too hungry, I can get a migraine. So I was fearful of not having calories for a snack and either not eating and risking a migraine, or going over calories. Well, I have discovered that if I have a breakfast of around 500-600 calories and a lunch around the same number, with the meal being well-balanced, I almost always get to my next meal without noticing any hunger except the normal pre-meal time type of hunger.

I do drink coffee at my desk in the morning (two cups in a travel thermos), which can be an appetite suppressant, but I have also noticed that there are times when I haven't had even half of it by lunchtime and I'm still fine. I also often have a cup of tea in the afternoon.

These changes have really helped me. And once I was okay with experimenting (reasonably), and giving it time to see how it works, and going a little over calories if I had to, I've been more successful at finding things that work for me. I mean, you're at a deficit, so if you go over your allotted calories while experimenting, it's not a big deal. You won't gain weight unless you eat over maintenance. To me, it's more important to develop habits that will help with maintenance, where so many people fail, and take a little longer to get there, than stick rigidly to a self-imposed calorie deficit. I'm trying out maintenance for a while now, so now I get to see how the strategies I have developed work.

ETA: The reason I quoted PP is that, while I love smoothies and find them a nice way to get extra veggies in during the summer, they just usually aren't that filling for me. I can't have only a smoothie for breakfast or I will definitely need a snack before lunchtime.

@veganbaum This is loaded with great advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    my calorie allotment for the day is about 1500-1700. I dont snack at home, but sitting at a desk all day is what gets me. I use to eat my lunch very early too, then buy junk to get me through the afternoon.

Now I pack a bunch of 100 calorie snacks, even my breakfast is only 100 calories (granola bar) then I eat a bunch of my 100 calorie snacks until 11:30, go for my half hour walk around the business park, come back eat lunch, I save 1 more 100 calorie snack for 2-3, I go home at 3:30. i eat dinner around 6 after I've done my usual chores and then go to the gym. I dont eat after that but if I have some left over calories I'll drink some chocolate milk.

I also notice that I crave carbs in the morning and protein at lunch. This has helped keep me feeling satisfied throughout the day.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions here. I just wanted to add something that helps me when the desk time munchies hit is sipping on a 0 or low calories beverage with flavor (aka not plain water) but some diet soda, plain hot or iced tea, crystal light, etc.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I also like zeroaide, the blue one tastes like blue koolaid, zero calories but has some sodium
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast - coffee only - the caffeine acts as an appetite suppressant. Then a big lunch (600cal) around 1pm. That leaves me full enough that i'm not "hungry" in the afternoon.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast - coffee only - the caffeine acts as an appetite suppressant. Then a big lunch (600cal) around 1pm. That leaves me full enough that i'm not "hungry" in the afternoon.

This is what I do exactly. I find that I'm busy enough in the morning getting my kids up and off to school, my dogs taken care of, and myself to work that by the time I get there, I'm thrilled just to be sitting down with coffee in peace and quiet. I try to push lunch as late as possible to make the afternoon shorter.
  • KTeaKat
    KTeaKat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just drink lots of water throughout the day to curb cravings in the summer. In the cooler months before heading to work, I brew awesome tea in my Stanley thermos. Then, if I get a hankering for something, I'll have tea-time. A warm drink really curbs my appetite a lot.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    i eat six times a day.. so were i you.. i'd eat at 10:30 and at 1:30 and have a snack to eat in the car around 4:30 or five. i love it.. i'm eating all the time. i eat at 8;00 11:00 2:00 5:00 8:00 and 11;00.