Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Food question

Does anyone have any suggestions for a high protein, low sodium food that I can eat at night? Right now, I'm eating shrimp and it's good for protein, but high in sodium and low in fat. I'm trying to cut back my sodium and I can't/won't change anything else. The cocktail sauce adds to the sodium as well, but I won't eat the shrimp plain. :) Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Greek yogurt is low sodium. Lots of protein, and add in some fruit, it is a great "dessert" snack.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Grill up some Chicken breast in quantity, slice and eat cold. Or heat up. You control the sodium, because you control the cooking. Just don't cook more than you can eat in a day or two. They can be yummy with Pace if that's your speed.
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Pouch tuna (if you buy the low sodium)...
  • BosFitlife
    BosFitlife Posts: 43 Member
    Cod fish or tilapia, grilled/baked chicken breast, egg, egg whites with cinnamon instead of salt, lean steak (top sirloin) yogurt or protein ice cream (halo top). protein bars with low carbs options.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    alyshawns wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a high protein, low sodium food that I can eat at night? Right now, I'm eating shrimp and it's good for protein, but high in sodium and low in fat. I'm trying to cut back my sodium and I can't/won't change anything else. The cocktail sauce adds to the sodium as well, but I won't eat the shrimp plain. :) Thanks for any advice!

It's probably the sauce more than anything...100 grams of shrimp only has a bit over 100 mg sodium, which isn't a lot. Also keep in mind that too little sodium is just as bad as too much...sodium is a required electrolyte.

Anyway...pretty much any kind of lean protein...other kinds of fish, chicken, lean cuts of beef and pork, etc.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Steak.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Pretty much any meat that isn't frozen or preserved in some way will work. Even shrimp if you can find it fresh. To preserve frozen shrimp they soak it in salt water and freeze it for preservation. It adds to the sodium. As far as the cocktail sauce, it's really just ketchup and horseradish sauce mixed, so if you get low sodium versions of those and mix them you have the same thing that is lower sodium.

Two regular meats for me are fresh skinless and boneless chicken breasts, and pork tenderloins. Both are very low in fat and very high in protein and if you don't go overboard on the salt or buy the versions that are pre-marinated or frozen/preserved in some way then they are low sodium by default.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Greek yogurt
    Light string cheese
    Premier protein shakes
    Chocolite protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com)
    Baked turkey or chicken

Just a few thoughts...