Always tired!

Options
Hi there, i have started going to the gym nearly a month ago (3 times a week)before this i did a class of leg bums and tums for 7 months. At the gym i am doing a beginner strength programme, i weigh 45kilo, 156cm and i am 37 years old. The last 2 weeks everyday i am really tired from when i wake up in the morning. Could i need more calories? Im eating 1397cals a day at the moment and my macros are 40%carbs 30%prot and 30% fat. Thanks.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Calories would be the first place to look, yeah. If that 1397cal is what MFP gave you, and you do all that exercise and don't eat back at least some of those calories then you're under-eating. You could also be going too fast or not giving yourself enough rest in-between sessions.
  • giuly7112
    giuly7112 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To be honest i have be going up and down with the calories, my goal is to get rid of stubborn lower fat belly and also gain some muscle. Mfp gives me over 1500 to maintain my weight maybe i should go with that. Thanks.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    giuly7112 wrote: »
    To be honest i have be going up and down with the calories, my goal is to get rid of stubborn lower fat belly and also gain some muscle. Mfp gives me over 1500 to maintain my weight maybe i should go with that. Thanks.

Yeah, if you're eating less than MFP recommends then that could be the cause of your low energy. Not eating enough often impacts our energy levels. It can also make it harder for us to consistently hit our calorie goal because we get hungry.
  • BosFitlife
    BosFitlife Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don’t like to use % to set up your daily macros.
    Total calorie per day is fine but to break it down, I recommend go with .9-1g of protein per lbs of body weight, have 30% of your total daily calories from fat which at your number should be around 50g. Then rest of the calories from carbohydrates. Ask don’t drink your macros. Try to get fro Whole Foods, which will keep you full and more satisfying. As far as waking up tired, when do u goto sleep and for how long? Also, when do u consume your last meal? Coffee in the morning maybe?
  • giuly7112
    Options
    I usually go to bed around 11pm and i will have a snack at 9, 9:30 which would be strawberry greek yogurt and a protein bar. Not a big fan of black coffees in the morning i would have porridge and a cup of tea. Thanks.
  • giuly7112
    Options
    Sorry forgot to mention im up at 7:30 in the mornings.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Sorry forgot to mention im up at 7:30 in the mornings.

If you're getting enough (quality) sleep, then it's time to look to other causes. Too great a deficit can definitely cause tiredness, as can some deficiencies (notably vit D and iron). If you're only eating ~1400 per day with none added back for activity, I'd suggest starting there. Eat closer to maintenance (with activity) for a couple of weeks and re-assess.
  • BosFitlife
    BosFitlife Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    yeah sounds like you have enough food, i'd say try to push your meals to later of the day, have breakfast, have lunch but have your dinner close to 7 and see if that makes a difference.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your goals? You're already at the low end of the normal weight range. What are you hoping this deficit will do for you?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    OP I thought we were going to try to gain weight? At least to maintain eat the calories MFP sets for you with exercise calories and adjust from there
  • giuly7112
    Options
    I know i know.....im too scared to put back on the weight i lost!!! :-( Maybe after the summer....if i find the courage!!!
  • giuly7112
    Options
    I know i know.....im too scared to put back on the weight i lost!!! :-( Maybe after the summer....if i find the courage!!!

OP, if you're approaching the range for being medically underweight and are now experiencing negative effects from food restriction (low energy) and you're still more afraid of gaining weight than fixing the problem, I recommend you find a professional to help you work through this. Nobody here can help you have more energy if you are afraid of food -- food is literally what gives us energy.

I started in sept cos i wanted to lose a few kilos then when i got to my weight goal i added on 200cals a day thats what im eating now 1400 but obviously its not enough so i will put it to 1500 like mfp says to maintain. Thanks.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You're getting 8.5 hrs, so length isn't the issue. What about sleep quality? Are you waking frequently? Do you have a tracker of some sort?

If you are goaling for maintenance, then eat at maintenance. Purposefully staying in a deficit is akin to running an engine on empty...only the ramifications are not as direct. In a car the engine simply dies. In your highly adaptive biological system you suffer all manner of stress which manifests in places we don't anticipate.

It isn't food that is the issue, it is habits around food that is the root cause. Implement a number of feedback loops to help defend against sliding backwards such as continued logging, maintaining your exercise regimen, consistent weighing & measuring. Do what you can, but don't go overboard.