So bloated after starting clean eating... help!

Options
I have cut out all processed sugar or sweeteners, caffeine, and have cut out all processed carbs, and am eating fairly low carb as well. I am on day 5 and am so bloated! I have been doing intense workouts (45 mins everyday) for 3 weeks straight and am a mom of 4 who is constantly cleaning, cooking and on my feet most of the day.

I have not lost any weight and I am so bloated that I think my stomach measurements have gone up, not down. (Pants and shirts fitting tighter). Is this normal after cutting out white wheat and rice, sugar and caffeine? I am feeling pretty discouraged.

Replies

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    ADLegault wrote: »
    I have cut out all processed sugar or sweeteners, caffeine, and have cut out all processed carbs, and am eating fairly low carb as well. I am on day 5 and am so bloated! I have been doing intense workouts (45 mins everyday) for 3 weeks straight and am a mom of 4 who is constantly cleaning, cooking and on my feet most of the day.

I have not lost any weight and I am so bloated that I think my stomach measurements have gone up, not down. (Pants and shirts fitting tighter). Is this normal after cutting out white wheat and rice, sugar and caffeine? I am feeling pretty discouraged.

What is the rest of what you are eating? I have cut most of what you have and have not experienced bloating.
  • Momto4under7
    Momto4under7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am eating a lot of vegetables and salads with homemade low fat dressing and some fruits, white meats, nuts, cheese, chick peas, oats, lentils. I am staying at 1200 calories a day, but I will eat half of my exercise calories up to a max of 1500 a day.

I should add I am 5'8 and 195 pounds.. So I have quite a bit to lose.
  • cmunson1983
    cmunson1983 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Were you doing intense workouts prior to clean eating? If not, it's normal for muscles to retain water when you first begin working out and you are probably gaining muscle, but losing fat. Are you measuring anywhere else? Seeing any difference there? Are the other foods you're eating high in sodium?
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Are you overdoing it with the chick peas, oats, and lentils? That could be some of the source of your bloating. I know whenever I eat red or white bean I get bloated for sure.
  • Momto4under7
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Were you doing intense workouts prior to clean eating? If not, it's normal for muscles to retain water when you first begin working out and you are probably gaining muscle, but losing fat. Are you measuring anywhere else? Seeing any difference there? Are the other foods you're eating high in sodium?

Yes, for a couple of weeks before for the diet change. But I am fairly active regularly prior to that (carrying a 22 lb infant on walks regularily, cleaning house literally all day, etc.), just didn't do things that got my heart rate up. No difference in leg measurements. Slight difference in arms. No, fairly low sodium diet as well. I stay well under the preset daily amount on here.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious if set to Sedentary when with 4 kids you clearly would not be?

Bloating from different foods, stress of workouts though you should be past that if doing for awhile.

Any measurement that says they are just as intense or more than when you started? Like pace is faster, weight lifting is more, reps done is same time is more, or shorter time doing more reps?

And that's not quite a bit to lose - probably at cusp of 50 lbs, so 1.5 lbs weekly loss rate would be reasonable to an otherwise healthy body right now, until down to final 30/25.
    More attempted loss while working out so much and so active could cause stress problems too for water retained.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am eating a lot of vegetables and salads with homemade low fat dressing and some fruits, white meats, nuts, cheese, chick peas, oats, lentils. I am staying at 1200 calories a day, but I will eat half of my exercise calories up to a max of 1500 a day.

I hope you are able to figure this out soon, as I'm sure this is not pleasant for you. The thing that this reminds me of is when I was experiencing "intolerance" to certain foods, like dairy.

Wishing you all the best :)
  • Momto4under7
    edited June 2018
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Curious if set to Sedentary when with 4 kids you clearly would not be?

Bloating from different foods, stress of workouts though you should be past that if doing for awhile.

Any measurement that says they are just as intense or more than when you started? Like pace is faster, weight lifting is more, reps done is same time is more, or shorter time doing more reps?

And that's not quite a bit to lose - probably at cusp of 50 lbs, so 1.5 lbs weekly loss rate would be reasonable to an otherwise healthy body right now, until down to final 30/25.
    More attempted loss while working out so much and so active could cause stress problems too for water retained.

You are probably right. I had it set to 1500 daily calories before, but saw no change in the first two weeks. So I lowered it and cut out sugar and caffeine (my weaknesses).

Edited: as for measurements, my weights seem too light now compared to when I started and I started at 25 minute workouts and have upped it to 45 with no problems.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options
    People use "bloating" to mean different things.

If the bloating is water weight, drink enough water, stay at a consistent carb level, and stay at a consistent sodium level. (In premenopausal women, hormone related water weight is often part of the picture. The only answer for that, unfortunately, patience.)

As others have said, a new exercise program also means that water weight is a potential explanation, since bodies temporarily retain water for muscle repair.

If the bloating is constipation, eat enough fiber, get enough water, get enough fat. Around here, fat is often the one that's the problem. Exercise, especially exercise that moves the midsection, can be a help, too. (You mention that you're exercising; I didn't see that you said what type of exercise.)

If the bloating is a "food baby" (like you'd feel from a big meal), first wait 60-72 hours for nature to take its course. Doesn't sound like this is what you have, but you can get a similar effect when you've gone from mostly highly-processed foods/fast foods to whole foods. If this is true, patience will probably resolve the situation.

If the bloating is gas, simethecone is as good a short-term expedient as any.

As others have said, it sounds like you may have dramatically increased fiber recently, and become gassy or otherwise distressed as a result - maybe just from higher digestive tract contents than you're used to. Usually it's better to ramp fiber up gradually, and it might help to add some probiotic foods (live culture yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kim chi, kombucha fermented pickles, . . . ). When you change your eating, your gut bacteria can go through an adaptation, and make you temporarily pretty uncomfortable.

Consider whether your bloating tends to increase after consuming certain specific foods or types of food. It could be a direct effect (from something like carbonated beverages) or a food sensitivity/intolerance. Take a hard look at your food diary, and look for patterns. If you suspect intolerance, see a registered dietician or allergist as appropriate. Don't just assume you have some commonly-touted food sensitivity: Take steps to find out for sure.

If the bloating is none of those, please be more specific about what you're experiencing, rather than euphemistic, so we can give you more tailored suggestions.
  • Momto4under7
    Options
    Are you overdoing it with the chick peas, oats, and lentils? That could be some of the source of your bloating. I know whenever I eat red or white bean I get bloated for sure.

Is eating 1/2 oats for breakfast and 1/2 cup of lentils, chickpeas, or sweet potatoes in place of rice or potatoes at supper time over doing it? Would that amount be significantly more fiber than the latter? I haven't researched it very much

I am definitely getting more fiber in vegetable intake so I suppose that could be a cause.. I have lost weight (30 lbs) in between babies 2 and 3 and did similiar (didn't cut out all sugar and caffeinie last time) to what I am doing right now and never experienced this kind of bloating.
  • SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Many of the foods you're now eating will cause bloating until your body gets used to them. Things should calm down in a few weeks but yeah, it might be a few rough days as your body adjusts to the increase in fiber etc.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

How much fiber were you eating before? The stuff you mention is going to be a considerable amount of fiber and if you're going from relatively low fiber to a ton of fiber, that's going to cause issues.

Eating a ton of raw vegetables as you would in a salad also causes bloating issues for many.

Yep, have you also increase protein? Protein takes longer to digest. I bloat all the time. Higher fiber and protein takes a while to adjust.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    well that's why. your fiber intake has skyrocketed.

your body should acclimate but things might be "interesting" for a week or so : :o

A week or so back, I just started exchanging a few snack foods for fruit and am happy to hear this is a thing - yes it's been "interesting" so far and quite the opposite of what I felt like more fibre would do it me :D
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Yes, for a couple of weeks before for the diet change. But I am fairly active regularly prior to that (carrying a 22 lb infant on walks regularily, cleaning house literally all day, etc.), just didn't do things that got my heart rate up. No difference in leg measurements. Slight difference in arms. No, fairly low sodium diet as well. I stay well under the preset daily amount on here.

Why are you restricting sodium? Do you have hypertension? Sodium isn't "bad" it is essential, it isn't a case of less is more and if you are consistantly undershooting your target that isn't really a good thing.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Why are you restricting sodium? Do you have hypertension? Sodium isn't "bad" it is essential, it isn't a case of less is more and if you are consistantly undershooting your target that isn't really a good thing.

There's really no reason to cut out caffeine or sodium, or even to reduce them.

In fact, short term, cutting caffeine can make it harder due to lower energy.