How many times have you messed up on your way to your goal?

Options
So I know weight loss and being healthy is life long and not a sprint. However, we all usually have an end point in terms of numbers or percentages that we are chasing. Maybe even just a feeling we are trying to reach- ie feeling stronger, healthier or leaner. I am on track to my goal at 0.5lb loss per week or even less as my rate of loss. I have however had many days where I said screw it all and ate WAY too much, skipped the gym and spent the night watching Netflix or on my phone/ laptop. I guess I’m wondering who can relate to having all kinds of screw ups along the way and how often they are for you? I probably have a day like this maybe every month. It doesn’t set me back far but it does mess with my mindset for a few days. I just want to hear your stories and gain some other perspective and even more motivation than I already have :)

- a teen who has already messed up a lot in my short life and is finally dedicated to being healthy

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You have to change the dialogue you have with yourself. I don’t consider a night where I enjoy a movie and popcorn well over my calories as failing. The only failure is when it becomes habit over time. Here and there, I overeat or lay around and be lazy. I recharge and let myself enjoy life.

What I don’t let happen is for these enjoyments become habit. If I have a lazy/lax food day, then the next day I’m pretty strict to recalibrate my expectations. I want trends of healthy behavior, but I also want to enjoy life! Find what’s good for you and keep at it. Embrace the positive in every moment and don’t fill yourself with negativity at the thought of messing up.

Live. Be strong. Be AWESOME.
  • takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »

What is that

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »

What is that

A video about failing
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm on the slow and steady method. I was one that slowly gained weight year after year so now I'm slowing losing it year after year. I am fine with my slow progress as I still enjoy treats and takeout and this is really becoming a lifestyle change (just little by little). :smile:
  • DogServant
    DogServant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    How many stars are there in the universe? Same answer.
    But I never gave up and have now lost 175lbs and counting.

Rock on!!! That is impressive work... and impressive advice (“never give up”).
  • DogServant
    DogServant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I'm on the slow and steady method. I was one that slowly gained weight year after year so now I'm slowing losing it year after year. I am fine with my slow progress as I still enjoy treats and takeout and this is really becoming a lifestyle change (just little by little). :smile:

Am on the slow train myself...but I don’t fear the results of being in a “program” and having to exit it.

Keep it up and go get ‘em!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Countless. I regained 20 lbs once. That took months of sustained messing up.

But lapses or mistakes won’t defeat you if you stick with the process. I found it helped to keep telling myself this - Perfect is the enemy of the good.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    DogServant wrote: »

Thank you! I learned a long time ago that the only time we truly fail at something is when we give up.

Mistakes are just learning what doesn't work.
  • takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Thank you! I learned a long time ago that the only time we truly fail at something is when we give up.

Mistakes are just learning what doesn't work.

<3
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You have to change the dialogue you have with yourself. I don’t consider a night where I enjoy a movie and popcorn well over my calories as failing. The only failure is when it becomes habit over time. Here and there, I overeat or lay around and be lazy. I recharge and let myself enjoy life.

What I don’t let happen is for these enjoyments become habit. If I have a lazy/lax food day, then the next day I’m pretty strict to recalibrate my expectations. I want trends of healthy behavior, but I also want to enjoy life! Find what’s good for you and keep at it. Embrace the positive in every moment and don’t fill yourself with negativity at the thought of messing up.

Live. Be strong. Be AWESOME.

• etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have never had a perfect day or a perfect week. I wake up every day and work on it. Eventually you get there.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    A thousand times and I still don't ever give up.
  • pznatti
    pznatti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ... I don’t fear the results of being in a “program” and having to exit it.

This is so great. It’s the mindset I’m growing in myself. It’s not a program. It’s retraining myself on how to find balance in my eating, in exercise... in life.