Fighting Temptation?

Options
I would like to learn from those who have successfully fought off temptation from eating too many calories so they can maintain a caloric deficit and stay at the lower body weight they desire.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    High fiber foods
    Protein is the most satiating/ filling
    High volume/ low cal(non starchy veg)
    Stay hydrated
    Not too strict of a deficit
    Willpower
  • SuccessHere
    SuccessHere Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    High fiber foods
    Protein is the most satiating/ filling
    High volume/ low cal(non starchy veg)
    Stay hydrated
    Not too strict of a deficit
    Willpower

Thank you. Any suggestions on the proteins I should be eating?
    I like boiled chicken, water based tuna fish...
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I workout more. Seriously, if I want something that I know has a lot of calories: I up my morning workout.

That whole increasing the workout thing has now become a habit. If I don't get at least 2 miles in in the morning, my day just isn't right.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Limit the temptations:
    1. Remove the junk from the cupboards.
    2. Start packing meals for when you're away from home instead of going to the snack machine or a restaurant.
    3. Plan your food intake before you are hungry.
    4. Allow yourself some treats...things you love in smaller portions or infrequently.
    5. Put a few healthy snacks in your desk and in your car so you have something to grab when you're hungry.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Make positive changes daily to stay within your calorie allowance and you will see positive results.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • SuccessHere
    SuccessHere Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Limit the temptations:
    1. Remove the junk from the cupboards.
    2. Start packing meals for when you're away from home instead of going to the snack machine or a restaurant.
    3. Plan your food intake before you are hungry.
    4. Allow yourself some treats...things you love in smaller portions or infrequently.
    5. Put a few healthy snacks in your desk and in your car so you have something to grab when you're hungry.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Make positive changes daily to stay within your calorie allowance and you will see positive results.

Best of luck on your journey!

Thanks. I now realize my caloric intake it pretty out of control. What's more, I have to really learn how to count my calories. I know that my calories I register on MFP is not really what I am eating. It's either way too high or low. But it's not close to what I eat.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Do you have a scale for your food? I use mine for a lot of my foods now and it helps you learn what a serving actually is.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I pack lots of fruit to supplement my lunch for work each day. I really enjoy sweets but fresh fruit helps satisfy that urge for me. I also keep sugarless gum on hand to chew after lunch. And I try to drink 2 cups of water for every cup of coffee I drink just to remind me to drink more water
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    For me I;
    1. Increase whole grains and protein while reducing refined carbs
    2. Increase exercise so I can eat more
    3. Allow snacks and treats that fit into my allowance
    4. Take food with me rather than buying lunch
    5. Chewing sugar-free gum
    6. Increasing water consumption
    7. Prelog my food at the beginning of the day and if I exercise more than usual I can get extra to eat at the end of the day that I haven't logged
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Fighting off temptation isn't something you do and are done with, it's an every day challenge that goes on for the rest of your life. All you can do, is find personal strategies to make it easier. I'm in maintenance, I have had a stable healthy weight for 3.5 years, but I do practically the same as during weightloss. Just so you're aware of the terms - a calorie deficit means eating less than you burn, which is what leads to weightloss; to maintain a lower weigth, you'll be eating fewer calories than what you maintain on at a higher weight, and that's calorie balance for that weight. I do this:

Eat at regular intervals. 3 meals per day is the framework I prefer now. I aim to eat 3-4 hours apart, but I'm flexible.

I plan balanced, varied meals I really look forward to, while I plan and schedule grocery shopping.

This leads to: I treat my shopping trip like a job, and a game - the shop owner's job is to make me spend as much money as possible, my job is to spend as little money as possible, and get everything I want and need, and nothing I don't want or need. When I have reached that goal, done my job properly, I pat myself on the back (literally; I really did, but I have stopped now, it's become habit).

This leads to: I don't stock up on too tempting foods. Most of my food is in the form of simple, versatile single food ingredients, that are easy to combine into simple, but delicious meals. But it's still an effort. I want my meals to take an effort; I want to be so hungry that I'm bothered to make an effort to get something to eat. If it's too easy to eat, I'll eat too much.

This leads to: I will eat anything, and overeat, on special occasions. Most days I stick to a modest diet, so the occasional splurge has no impact in the long run, and the long run it the only thing that counts.

I weigh myself daily. This removes the scale anxiety, it keeps my goals immediate and behavior oriented (all the small decisions I make every day, add up, no single decision can make or break the end result), I don't postpone "being good" to the days before "weigh-in day", which would lead to panic and distorted eating. I have become the person who eats an orange today, and a candy bar tomorrow (I used to be the opposite).

I don't do any planned exercise, but I'm more active naturally. Walk, dance, play. Staying active is good for health, makes me happy, and beats boredom, and I'm only tempted to eat when I'm bored or sad.