Caloric Intake Discussion

Options
This post has a lot of personal information, but stay with me because I want to hear what everybody thinks?

I used to have Anorexia when I was a little younger, and would only eat about 500-700 calories max a day. Anyways, I recovered and only want to do whats best for my body now.

I ate a lot of fatty and somewhat "healthy" foods in bulk in order to get back to an average healthy weight (this was years ago). I then gained just a little (not a lot) of weight. To put it into perspective I went from 89 pounds to 125. I'm short - 4'11, and I'm trying to get to a healthy and recommended weight of 110.

I'm not fearing the thought of slipping into my ana habits, but I really want to know what a healthy caloric intake would be for me to lose 14 pounds (not quickly or anything, but within the next few months)? I was recommended by my trainer to get 1200, but TDEE calculator and a few others are telling me 980-1113.

I posted that my goal was 1200 on here, and I got comments of "thats unhealthy", but when I was putting pounds on I was eating 1600 a day and gaining weight fast?

Can anyone relate? How many calories should I really be aiming for?

PS. for whoever read down to here, you are appreciated and selfless and a saint haha :smile:

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Did the TDEE calculator and the "few others" ask you how fast you wanted to lose, and did you tell them 1 lb a week or more? Go back and tell them a half pound -- at your current weight, and needing only to lose 14 lbs, a half pound a week is the appropriate rate of loss.

How were you tracking your calories when you were "putting on pounds at 1600 a day"?

Were you working with your current trainer when you were "putting on pounds at 1600 a day"? If not, does your trainer's plan for you include more or more intense exercise than you were doing when you were ""putting on pounds at 1600 a day"?
  • maemahe3
    maemahe3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Lynn,

I just went back to TDEE to double check - and they didn't allow an option to change how fast you want to lose weight. I guess I was sort of tracking my calories in my head; I was really self conscious and always have been about my consumption, especially during that part of my life.

I wasn't working with him at the time, but he knows about my past eating habits I guess. I've been moderately active at the gym now, and he says I can eat more calories than 1200 if I burn them (1400 if I run for 200 calories).

Thank you for reading, and your response also! Any insight on what I should do?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I would go with the trainer. It's not like it's a decision you can never change. If you do what he advises for a couple of months, and you haven't dropped anything at all, you can cut your consumption back a little.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Did you set up your profile here on MFP? What data did you enter and what result does it give you?
  • maemahe3
    Options
    lorrpb - I just checked and MFP recommends 1200 as well. Why is my weight loss caloric amount so little compared to everyone elses?

lynn_glenmont - I think I'll just try for 1200.. I think thats the general consensous so far? I am really good with self control and eating the right amount but I'm so sick of eating too much or too little, it's hard to tell sometimes!

<3
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    maemahe3 wrote: »
    lorrpb - I just checked and MFP recommends 1200 as well. Why is my weight loss caloric amount so little compared to everyone elses?

lynn_glenmont - I think I'll just try for 1200.. I think thats the general consensous so far? I am really good with self control and eating the right amount but I'm so sick of eating too much or too little, it's hard to tell sometimes!

<3

Because you're a shortie :smiley: Little person, less calories. I agree to start at 1200 and after 4-6 weeks, tweak based on your results.

1200 is not enough for most people, but due to your height and not having much weight to lose, it "may" be necessary. It's also possible you can eat more, especially if you are exercising, so if you are really hungry on workout days or lose weight too quickly after that first 4 weeks, keep that in mind.
  • maemahe3
    Options
    kimny72 - Everyone tells me I'm undereating and maybe I'll just say I'm short on here now ;)

So far I started at 125 (this was about a month ago) and I'm at 119 now, so I'll stick here until I'm happy and then go back to 1400 I think. :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am your height and to lose I too was on 1200 calories a day which would result in 1/2 pound a week loss. As we are smaller we don't use as much energy as others. I would eat those 1200 calories plus at least half of my exercise calories, or all of them if I were still hungry. It is so progress but you will get there.

Also simply don't listen to those that say 1200 is undereating because unless you are not eating back exercise calories you are eating what you need to be eating for slow weight loss. If you do however find you are consistently losing more than 1/2 pound a week then you should up your calorie intake a little.