New mom with 50+ lbs to lose!

Options
Hey yall! So here's my story... I recently just gave birth to a sweet baby boy on March 8th (his name is Barrett Adam - but we call him "Bear" for short.) During my pregnancy, I gained around 80 pounds :s I'm 5'7 so that is way past a healthy BMI. When I learned I was pregnant, I weighed approximately 165 lbs, so you can do the math! I felt like I finally had an excuse to eat whatever I wanted, so I did. Even my OB said gaining 40-50 lbs was nothing, and that most women gained around that mark (she told me she gained 70 lbs when she was pregnant.) So I felt like my excuse was justified. Needless to say, I went overboard and gained a lot of weight over a short period of time and my body took a huge beating. I have stretch marks galore, a tire tube tummy, I am tired all the time (not due to the baby - he's actually sleeping through the night!) and now have a body that is completely foreign to me. I feel like being a mommy would be so much easier if I could get back to my old self.

Before I got pregnant, I had gotten to 165 by using the program Isagenix. (I had gone from 185 to 165 in about 4-5 months) and I loved the program - it was so easy to follow, I loved the shakes, and it was so nice not having to think about what to eat for breakfast and lunch. With a busy job as an activities director, I needed that! Fast forward to present day, I'm getting back on Isagenix again to help me lose this weight. Additionally, I am cutting out dairy and gluten from my meals as much as possible since I do have an intolerance (not an allergy) for both.

After having Bear, I lost about 25 lbs of the weight I had gained. So I now have approximately 50 lbs to lose. I would love to have some accountability friends who have similar goals - send me a message and tell me your stories! Let's not go on this journey alone :smiley:

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The information in the second half of this thread discusses calorie counting while breastfeeding, I suggest giving it a read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

If you are breastfeeding I suggest making small, incremental decreases in your calorie intake. Sometime when nursing mommas shock their system their supply suffers instead of losing fat.

~best wishes
  • Sunshine373
    Sunshine373 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the info! But I am not breastfeeding any longer. Once I went back to work it just didn't mesh with my schedule and eventually, I had gotten so off track my milk supply was pretty much gone. I hear what you're saying though! If I would have stuck with it, I definitely would have followed that advice because I know how much energy it takes out of you!
  • jillMoose
    jillMoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I had baby #4 in early April. I have 40 lbs to lose. I had done isagenix in the past and was successful but its so expensive. I am doing a similar diet plan to that of isagenix but I am doing RSP true lean shakes instead - they are less expensive. are you exercising at all? how are you making out on isagenix since you started this post?
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I lost my baby weight right after my kiddo but gained 35 pounds while on mat leave. I'm not working to lose that (26 pounds down) and then the stuff I should have lost before!
  • Meeshell13
    Meeshell13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am with you too! I just had baby #2. With baby #1 I gained 50lbs. Same as you, I justified it as a way to eat whatever I want after doing so well for almost 6 years. Only lost about 20 of it before getting pregnant with number 2 (even working out 5 days a week & eating healthy). Fast forward to today, at my pre-pregnancy weight for baby 2 but not my pre-pregnancy weight from the 1st! Have 30 to go to reach that but would like to lose at least 50. I started Isagenix on June 1st. I love the program. I feel like it's doable and long term. I have to remind myself how good I feel especially when my measurements and scale aren't so good.