Cliff bars

Options
What are everyone’s thoughts on the cliff bars. Okay as a meal replacement for breakfast or lunch? Is there enough good nutrition in it?

Thanks!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of good nutrition. Macro proportions are mostly about personal preference. There’s nothing wrong with eating protein bars if you like them. I keep protein bars in my bag and desk in case I forget my lunch.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'll have the protein builder one's, chocolate mint, when I know I'll be down on protein. The rest are bleh to me.

But they won't be enough to replace a meal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would not be satisfied replacing an entire meal with a Clif bar -- I wouldn't find it personally satisfying. They're too low calorie for a meal (230-250 calories usually), at least my meals. And they're too high in sugar to keep me full unless I'm eating them with something else to balance it out. I do enjoy them sometimes as part of a meal, especially the new nut butter filled ones.

But what I like is irrelevant. Would you be okay replacing breakfast or lunch with them? The nutrition is really going to depend on what you eat over the entire day in addition to the Clif bar.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I regularly use the builders bars for a breakfast replacement. I find it's enough to keep me going until lunch. Your mileage may vary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They would not suffice for me as a meal replacement. I do take them on long hikes.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I commonly use bars as a filler between meals out of convenience. Clif bars were leaps and bounds above other bars at the time as these didn't freeze solid and could be eaten without breaking teeth while at altitude.

I use whatever bar that suits my needs and is the best price at the time.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Tasty snack, but IMO - there are much better options for meal replacement
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    They are my go to for long hikes and bike rides, but I wouldn't use them as meal replacement as I don't find them filling.

And my favorite is Toffee Buzz cause it's got caffeine ;)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Too many carbs, not enough protein for my preferences too eat regularly, but they are tasty. Will usually throw one in my golf bag to munch on at the turn.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I mean, they wouldn't work as a meal replacement for me, not enough calories, however, I will have them as a snack when I'm not following a Keto diet. They are yummy.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    They're good travel food, and quite tasty. I'd be miserable if I tried to replace lunch with one, though.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Use to eat them al the time while hiking/ backpacking or just for snacks. Not any more.

Not enough protein and cheaper alternatives are now available for a lower price w/ the same or better cal/macro ratios IMO.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Perfect ratio for post endurance cardio, carbs:protein 4:1 - when you'll be doing another workout the next day.

Meal replacement though, eh, not enough protein for me.
    Pre-cardio workout, too heavy on stomach.
    During a workout meal - too much to digest, just sat there.

I love them for their place, and lunch/snack when backpacking because of not freezing.
    Oh, some flavors great for snacks. Hmmmmm. peanut butter & banana.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    me, i don't like their texture.
    i would go with other bars if that is something you want to do.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    What are everyone’s thoughts on the cliff bars. Okay as a meal replacement for breakfast or lunch? Is there enough good nutrition in it?

Thanks!

I'm similar to sgt1372 above..

The $1 regular ones:
    I used to buy these a lot. A bit low on protein for the calories if you are aiming in the weight training recommended range, so if eating them regularly in lieu of a normal meal, I usually combined 1/2 of one with greek yogurt to up the protein of the meal. (and saved the rest for another meal). 180-200 cal Food bar or 1/2 of higher calorie bar like Clif + greek yogurt is a pretty usual breakfast for me.

To replace exercise calories while on the go, they work pretty well. They are tastier if you dip 1/2 of 1 in 1/2 a serving of peanut butter IMO (instead of eating 1 bar alone). (I know- this does skew the macros even more toward fat, but they are exercise calories anyway). - This is a pretty common 'supper' (aka post-run/cycling, pre-dance "meal").

I mostly buy the Aldi brand food bars & protein bars now bc cheaper for similar or better macros (and shop there more often than Wegmans), but I will usually pick some up for a variety when I am at Wegmans for other stuff. The banana chocolate ones are pretty good. I need to grab a few - getting bored of the current variety at Aldi.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’ll use one as a meal replacement. But then I have a teeny tiny bariatric stomach. It’s calorie dense.

I had one running from office to an appointment and it worked fine.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I mean they're fine if you work them into your diet (like everything) but I prefer other protein bars that aren't as high in carbs/sugar, such as Quest bars.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The Builder Bars are great. I eat one every morning for breakfast. For me, it's the right amount of calories, a decent amount of protein, and they taste good. I used to eat lower calorie bars for breakfast but needed more calories. The regular Clif bars don't offer as great macros for me, so I wouldn't choose those over other options.

Other ones I've found that I like - Premier Protein (30g protein, 290 cals) , ProBar (20g protein, 290 cals), Vega Performance (20g protein, 300 cals)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    [quote="crazyravr;c-42121806"Does it help? No idea, but it sure taste good :)[/quote]

Taste is subjective.

I never liked the tatse and texture of Cliff bars. Only ate then b4 because they were the only thing widely available way back when. Not the case anymore which is why I don't eat them any more.

Too many other better IMO tasting bars that are equal nutritionally and less expensive than Cliff bats available now.

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I love Cliff Bars. They're not a "meal replacement" though; too few calories. But I usually have one as a pre-workout with a Bang drink.