Confused by colleagues comments

Options
I am a healthy weight for my height
5ft4 56kg
I am always undecided whether to venture into a bulk and pretty
Much have been wheel spinning for 2 years or so.
Today my girl colleagues decided to get the scales out and set themselves targets for the approaching summer.
They were all pretty shocked at my weight, and how little I weigh. I was the lightest there by a mile. But there reaction left me confused-they obviously think from appearance that I should weigh more than I do. Which has led me to question my goals. If I appear larger than the scales confirm is it time to bulk up this skin with some muscle?

How do you know if you are ready to bulk?

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Poo on them and their reaction!. Do what you want!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    when i was younger, i was lighter than i looked, now i'm heavier than i look. perception is not always a good way to judge weight
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Why does it bother you if your co-workers are unable to guess weight correctly since you know your weight is fine? Many people are bad at guessing weight.
    What is your goal and why did you choose it?
    If you like the look of an athletic muscular body type and want to aim for that then you will need to do the things that will get you there.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    All interesting points, thanks for your comments. I guess that I am
    Not happy with how I look. I know that the figure on the scale is good, I am a healthy weight, and at a target that I set
    Myself a little while back. But I am not happy with what I see in the mirror.

I guess I am also concerned that I may look larger than what I actually am
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »
    Not happy with how I look. I know that the figure on the scale is good, I am a healthy weight, and at a target that I set

To them or to yourself?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Not happy with how I look.
    I know that the figure on the scale is good, I am a healthy weight, and at a target that I set

Take that 1 step further (decide why you are unhappy) and that should give you a pretty good indication of where to go next.
  • Spitspot81
    Options

To them or to yourself?

I know deep down that I look larger in the mirror than the scale weight suggests. I keep thinking that if I lose just 1-2lb more then that will give me a cushion for building muscle and allow for some weight gain. But I am struggling to lose 1-2lb.
  • Spitspot81
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Personally, the 2 years of wheel spinning would be of far greater concern than the comments made by others when they saw my scale weight.

Yeah that is a pretty good point
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

To them or to yourself?

I know deep down that I look larger in the mirror than the scale weight suggests. I keep thinking that if I lose just 1-2lb more then that will give me a cushion for building muscle and allow for some weight gain. But I am struggling to lose 1-2lb.

Quit trying to lose those pounds and start lifting heavy (for you). I suspect that will create the body composition you are looking for.

Stronglifts 5X5 is the beginner program I started with, and loved it.
  • Spitspot81
    Options

To them or to yourself?

Quit trying to lose those pounds and start lifting heavy (for you). I suspect that will create the body composition you are looking for.

Thanks for this. I am going to take a look now
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

To them or to yourself?

Thanks for this. I am going to take a look now

There's a free app you can download to track your progress, makes it super easy. Just FYI
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just have a small frame??? I know I certainly don't look like I weigh 105lbs (and I'm about the same size I was when I weighed 95lbs). Looks can be deceiving. It's really hard to eyeball weight.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 324 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    is it possible they were just being intentionally mean due to jealousy??
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and yes that's a perfectly healthy weight. Ignore them.