8 Week Keto Challenge (Post before and after)

Options

Replies

• terrieth21
    terrieth21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi... I just started my keto diet yesterday and I did great!! I am on the road a lot and helping family members in the hospitals at the moment and have kids in summer programs, so my challenge is staying keto on the road. My goals is to lose about 40lbs but to maintain a healthy weight and hopefully help with pain management. I have lupus and daily pain is a struggle. I’m going for 70/25/5 for my daily goals and under 2000 calories.
  • 0704Johnston
    0704Johnston Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Terrieth21! Once you get used to it, Keto eating out and prep is pretty easy. Especially if you find hotel rooms with a fridge and microwave. People often worry when going out to eat with me if I will be able to eat anything but seriously there are very few places where I can't find ANYTHING on the menu....
  • 0704Johnston
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Today's Plan:

Exercise

Hilly walk at the park (33 minutes, 1.7mi)

Food

1st Thing - SF/LC Chai Tea Latte

B - 2 bacon and 2 sausage

S - 2 cups calorie countdown (LC milk), Monin sf vanilla syrup, with matcha powder and 1tsp mct oil blended in

L - 1 cheese shell taco (1 oz shredded "fiesta" blend cheese browned in pan and flipped until crisp yet malleable, filled with 1 oz seasoned ground beef, shredded lettuce, a bit of purple onion and cilantro, topped with a tbsp sour cream)

D - Garlic Shrimp Alfredo (9 shrimp sauted in 1tsp olive oil and garlic, 1/2 cup bertoli garlic alfredo) over 1/2 cup plain baked spaghetti squash, topped with 1tbsp parm/romano blend

1,217 calories, 26 total (not net) carbs, 90 protein
    339 calories burned from exercise
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Still going strong here. My carbs are just a bit higher then I want them to be but under 60 grams. I'll tighten up after a week or so of getting sugar out of my body! Today I'm going to start a little more intense exercise, a little slow jogging at lunch. And..I mean slow :)
  • lacinyilmaz
    lacinyilmaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Can I join in as well? I've been doing keto for 3 days now on my own and have so far lost 5 kgs (around 11 lbs). I'm incredibly happy with how it's going and very motivated to reach my goal-weight, but I would love some friends I can exchange experiences with!
  • stephyyyo
    stephyyyo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Still going strong here. My carbs are just a bit higher then I want them to be but under 60 grams. I'll tighten up after a week or so of getting sugar out of my body! Today I'm going to start a little more intense exercise, a little slow jogging at lunch. And..I mean slow :)

Best of luck! Keep up the work!
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    Hi! Can I join in as well? I've been doing keto for 3 days now on my own and have so far lost 5 kgs (around 11 lbs). I'm incredibly happy with how it's going and very motivated to reach my goal-weight, but I would love some friends I can exchange experiences with!

Definitely! Welcome!
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    Hey everyone, for the ones who’s been doing this for 2 weeks now, are you noticing changes in your body, cravings, appetite etc?

For me I don’t feel I’m losing weight yet, however will push through of course and hope to soon feel a difference in my clothes. I have about 15 lbs to lose and it’s my “last” 15 lbs so I feel it’s really hard to see changes.
    Something I’ve noticed too is my lack of appetite during the evening. I only crave something sweet at times but I’m not hungry nor crave food. I experienced this last time I was doing keto, anyone experiencing this?
  • 0704Johnston
    Options
    Today's Plan:

Exercise

Half Marathon Training day 3; run:walk 2:1 intervals (23 minutes, 1.5mi)

Food

B - After run, premier protein shake and 1 cup almond/cashew/flax milk blended with matcha; then later 3 links sausage

L - pan seared scallops drizzled with garlic butter sauce, and 3 slices grilled zucchini (seasoned with olive oil)

S - SF Cherry Popsicle

D - baked crisp chicken thigh (home made italian dressing marinade), 5 spears asparagus dipped in less than a tbsp mayo

Food 1,250 calories, 26 total (not net) carbs
    Exercise 289 calories

• 0704Johnston
    Options
    stephyyyo wrote: »
    Hey everyone, for the ones who’s been doing this for 2 weeks now, are you noticing changes in your body, cravings, appetite etc?

For me I don’t feel I’m losing weight yet, however will push through of course and hope to soon feel a difference in my clothes. I have about 15 lbs to lose and it’s my “last” 15 lbs so I feel it’s really hard to see changes.
    Something I’ve noticed too is my lack of appetite during the evening. I only crave something sweet at times but I’m not hungry nor crave food. I experienced this last time I was doing keto, anyone experiencing this?

I've been doing keto (AKA Atkins, Low Carb, etc) for a very long time and the lower my carbs the more appetite suppression. It also comes and goes. Before this challenge I was up some water weight from celebrating my birthday.

The other thing is I don't lose weight if I graze too much even on low carb and I lose really well when my calories are around 1200. Because it is high fat it can be hard to keep it that low.

Because I had some bloat, I think I will have a bit drop in weight when I weigh in this week. I have noticed change... my tummy is flatter and my face and fingers aren't swollen anymore.

If I were you I would take advantage of the appetite suppression by keeping calories on the lower end and nix any snacking (I mean, I don't know if you already are, I am just saying appetite suppression is great and take advantage! ;))
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options

I don't want to jinx myself but I noticed my craving for sugar is going away. We're having a birthday party on Sunday with cheesecake and at this moment I feel strong enough to not have any. Instead I'll make myself a keto cookie with almond flour. I'll report how it goes on Monday and if I was successful :p
  • 0704Johnston
    Options
    I find that an oz of extra sharp white cheddar cheese makes my sweets cravings go away. Even though it isn't sweet.... but if I am actually stomach-growling hungry, it doesn't do the trick
  • 0704Johnston
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Today's Plan:

Exercise

Half Marathon Training day 4; Hike/Walk (36 minutes, 2mi)

Food

1st thing: sf/lc chai tea latte (chai tea, added 1tbsp heavy cream and 1/2 cup almond cashew flax milk blend)

B - After hike, 1/2 caramel premier protein shake with iced salted caramel iced tea, and 1 cup almond/cashew/flax milk; then later 3 links sausage

L - 2.5oz tuna and 22g mayo and pepper, 1/4 dill pickle, 1oz salt and pepper epic pork rinds for dipping

S - 1.2 oz cheddar

D - 3 oz pan fried ham steak, 85g string beans dipped in less than a tbsp mayo, plus a decaf tea with cashew milk and 1tsp MCT oil and 1tbsp heavy cream

Food 1,175 calories, 21 total (not net) carbs
    Exercise 389 calories
  • 0704Johnston
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Weighed in this morning and this week (June 1-7) I lost 1.6lb

Today's Plan:

Exercise

1st thing (empty stomach)
    Half Marathon Training day 5; 2:1 run/walk intervals (20 minutes, 1.2 hilly miles :neutral: I hate hills)

Food

B - vanilla premier protein shake blended with 1 cup unsweetened silk cashew milk and matcha powder; then later 3 slices bacon

L - Salmon Sashimi dipped dipped in gluten free soy sauce / wasabi / ginger, steamed edamame

S - sf popsicle and a 70 cal string cheese

D - 5 spiced, baked crisp chicken wing segments dipped in 2 tbsp home made ranch dressing

Food 1,030 calories, 14 total (not net) carbs
    Exercise 267calories
  • stephyyyo
    edited June 2018
    Options

I've been doing keto (AKA Atkins, Low Carb, etc) for a very long time and the lower my carbs the more appetite suppression. It also comes and goes. Before this challenge I was up some water weight from celebrating my birthday.

The other thing is I don't lose weight if I graze too much even on low carb and I lose really well when my calories are around 1200. Because it is high fat it can be hard to keep it that low.

Because I had some bloat, I think I will have a bit drop in weight when I weigh in this week. I have noticed change... my tummy is flatter and my face and fingers aren't swollen anymore.

If I were you I would take advantage of the appetite suppression by keeping calories on the lower end and nix any snacking (I mean, I don't know if you already are, I am just saying appetite suppression is great and take advantage! ;))

yeah you're right! I'm gonna take it as a blessing haha

I also stay within 1200 cals, I think keto works best when you don't overdo it with the calories as well!

edit: and congrats on the weightloss :smiley:
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »

I don't want to jinx myself but I noticed my craving for sugar is going away. We're having a birthday party on Sunday with cheesecake and at this moment I feel strong enough to not have any. Instead I'll make myself a keto cookie with almond flour. I'll report how it goes on Monday and if I was successful :p

awesome!! stay strong! I was about to cheat one of these nights and what I did was research what your body does if you cheat one day when you're trying to get into/stay in ketosis and it made me stop dead in my tracks. Our bodies on keto are running optimally and when we introduce a lot of sugar and carbs we ruin that process. Best of luck!!
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    2 lbs lost this week! Sounds little but for me it's big :smile: going to stay strong during the weekend!
  • theunicornbunny
    theunicornbunny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started my keto lifestyle in April and I have lost 2 kg during the firstfour weeks. Everything got stagnant till I introduced intermittent fasting 16:8 daily. IF + keto for 20 days my weight dropped close to another 2 kg.

My 8 weeks progress is 4kg.
    I exercise twice a week.
  • 0704Johnston
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Food 1,030 calories, 14 total (not net) carbs
    Exercise 267calories

Just for the sake of accountability, I'm updating that my calories were 1,403 today, 29 total (not net) carbs. I was feeling like I needed to eat a bit more so I did. Because of the exercise I was still under my net calorie target of 1250 according to MFP but I usually do not use exercise calories burned to eat extra food. My exercise was also dragging today.
  • B8049
    B8049 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I’m starting an 8 week challenge of eating Keto (high fat, low carb) and intermittent fasting 16:8 window. I’m going to try and do 8 weeks no cheating cause that’s when you get into the “fat-adapted” stage and hopefully by then it’ll be a lifestyle and not a diet anymore.

My intake goals are: 70% fat, 20% protein 10% carbs and I have a calorie goal as well.

Shooting for less than 40g total carbs and hoping for less than 20g net carbs (fiber reduces carbs).

If anyone wants to join in and check in daily with your macros that would be great to keep accountability!

After the 8 weeks our goal will be to post a before and after picture (doesn’t have to be full body, could be of just arms etc). No one is/will be perfect but it would be awesome to add more stakes and see any difference the 8 weeks made.

We got this!

So..no calorie counting???
    I want to join...!!!