MFP exercise and calories burned.. too high?

Options
Hello.

Today I logged the exercise of 45 minutes on an elliptical trainer, MFP said that I burned something like 300 calories, while my actual machine said I burned a little over 100. I also logged 4 hours of golfing, using a power cart, which MFP said was almost 1300 calories burned, but that feels far to high. So I guess my question is, how accurate is MFP's exercise database?

Replies

• skinnysawyer
    Options
    I would love to know about this too, MFP says cleaning for an hour burns around 100-200 but I'm not so sure aha...
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    I believe it all depends on you weight, does your machine's know your weight? And MFP is an estimation of what your calories burned are
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i feel that MFP is rather accurate, it's what i use. because i cannot get a HRM... most people on here have Heart Rate Monitors, which are the most accurate way of estimating calories burned. if you are unsure, maybe just eat back half of your exercise calories for today.

*never look at the machines for estimated calories burned - they are completely inaccurate!! :):):)
  • cnewyou
    cnewyou Posts: 40
    Options
    I just started using a heart rate monitor and have found that the calories on MFP are very generous. Today I did a 53 minute workout. My monitor listed the calories burned as 362 and MFP had 537.
  • alymay7
    alymay7 Posts: 8
    Options
    that's good that machines aren't accurate. I was like... I run my *kitten* off for 45 minutes, sweating like crazy, and I only burned 100 calories?!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    LOL ya thats way to high.

never trust MFPs cals...
  • myheartinsf1
    Options
    The only machines that are accurate are hrm unless you use a machine that you enter your weight into.
    For example.. on my tredmill it says almost half of what my heart rate monitor tells me. I hope this helps and good luck to u ;)
    Oh ya, mfp is usually not right either. But if you have to go by one of them I would use mfp.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    the best way to go is to get a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). the machines tend to overestimate cals burned, and my experience is that so does MFP.

When I finally got an HRM, I found that most of my calorie burns were overestimated by at least half on the machines....:-(