CICO, time of day, and beer/alcohol

Options
Hi,

Looking for general discussion on beer and alcohol and calories in/calories out (cico).

My understanding from reading here is that cico rules. More calories out than in, you lose weight.
Cico rules over types of food and cico rules over when the calories are consumed.

So, figuring an average 12oz beer is 150 cals, or 200 cals for a hoppy craft beer, that's not much more than soda pop. Would a couple of beers have any other effects that would cause you to gain weight over a similarly-caloried soft drink?

1) That is, if you have two beers and your intake is less than your outtake, then the beers are the same as soda, right?

2) Also, my understanding is that time of day is unimportant. If you eat all 1500 calories right before bed, and that's all you eat all day, and calories in is less than calories out, that's the same as if you spread those 1500 calories over a breakfast and lunch and fasted for dinner, correct?

This seems counter-intuitive to me only because I sleep at night and don't use energy then, so it would seem the calories would go straight to storage (body fat).

So, am just looking for perspectives and discussion around time of day and alcohol/beer. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sean

Replies

• Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    To help the discussion, I found this eight-year-old article about alcohol, beer, weight gain, and the glycemic index.
    https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/new-book-claims-that-nightly-glass-of-wine-wont-go-straight-to-the-hips/news-story/34f60b297b9d6be65a929b03a02c78ce
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Doesn't matter if you drink alcohol. Account for it in your day. If you're looking for lower calorie options, check out http://getdrunknotfat.com/ . Helps me if I do go out for drinks.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Seanb_us wrote: »
    To help the discussion, I found this eight-year-old article about alcohol, beer, weight gain, and the glycemic index.
    https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/new-book-claims-that-nightly-glass-of-wine-wont-go-straight-to-the-hips/news-story/34f60b297b9d6be65a929b03a02c78ce

Calories from alcohol can't be stored...they have to metabolized immediately. When alcohol is in your system, your body shifts exclusively to metabolizing the alcohol and other metabolic processes are put on hold.

I personally don't have much luck when I need to cut with drinking beer but have no problem when drinking diet vodka cocktails. I would assume much of that has to do with the fact that beer has calories from more than just the alcohol, so those other calories won't be metabolized while I have alcohol in my system...IDK...but I never lose weight drinking beer regularly...no problems when it's diet vodka cocktails.

Right. What I read was that beer has a high glycemic index, so that the body gets a ton of glucose from it, whereas wine and hard liquor have a low glycemic index, so the body gets little glucose from them. That is, it isn't the alcohol in beer that's giving you weight gain, it's the malt and other stuff.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Looking for general discussion on beer and alcohol and calories in/calories out (cico).

My understanding from reading here is that cico rules. More calories out than in, you lose weight.
    Cico rules over types of food and cico rules over when the calories are consumed.

So, figuring an average 12oz beer is 150 cals, or 200 cals for a hoppy craft beer, that's not much more than soda pop. Would a couple of beers have any other effects that would cause you to gain weight over a similarly-caloried soft drink? - NOPE

1) That is, if you have two beers and your intake is less than your outtake, then the beers are the same as soda, right? - YEP

2) Also, my understanding is that time of day is unimportant. If you eat all 1500 calories right before bed, and that's all you eat all day, and calories in is less than calories out, that's the same as if you spread those 1500 calories over a breakfast and lunch and fasted for dinner, correct? - YEP

This seems counter-intuitive to me only because I sleep at night and don't use energy then, so it would seem the calories would go straight to storage (body fat).

So, am just looking for perspectives and discussion around time of day and alcohol/beer. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sean

FYI, alcohol causes me to retain water, so I show a jump on the scale for a few days after I've imbibed. But it's water weight, not fat gain.

^^^^^^^^ All of this!!!!

Also, the problem with alcohol is rarely the calories in the drink, but the effect alcohol has on judgement. If I have one beer and a burger for lunch I'm fine. When I go to the annual harvest wine festival (unlimited free samples from about 40 wineries....aka I get pretty intoxicated), suddenly eating 3 of everything sounds like a great idea.

As far as time of day is concerned, unless you're a Gremlin, we don't magically reset at midnight. I don't eat much during the day, but have large dinners and late night snacks. Because my whole day is in a deficit, I still lose weight. Doesn't matter when I eat.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Thanks all! I weigh in on Tuesdays, so will see what tomorrow brings.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Calories from alcohol can't be stored...they have to metabolized immediately. When alcohol is in your system, your body shifts exclusively to metabolizing the alcohol and other metabolic processes are put on hold.

I personally don't have much luck when I need to cut with drinking beer but have no problem when drinking diet vodka cocktails. I would assume much of that has to do with the fact that beer has calories from more than just the alcohol, so those other calories won't be metabolized while I have alcohol in my system...IDK...but I never lose weight drinking beer regularly...no problems when it's diet vodka cocktails.

Right. What I read was that beer has a high glycemic index, so that the body gets a ton of glucose from it, whereas wine and hard liquor have a low glycemic index, so the body gets little glucose from them. That is, it isn't the alcohol in beer that's giving you weight gain, it's the malt and other stuff.

Note that the difference in metabolic pathways is occurring on a molecular level. To put this into real values would look something like this:

If Subject A Drinks 150 calories of Coke or Guinness it's irrelevant from a weight management perspective. Even if another pathway is utilized this is less than the degree of instrument error and quite meaningless.

Surplus calories result in weight gain, not any specific component of the calories.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Note that the difference in metabolic pathways is occurring on a molecular level. To put this into real values would look something like this:

If Subject A Drinks 150 calories of Coke or Guinness it's irrelevant from a weight management perspective. Even if another pathway is utilized this is less than the degree of instrument error and quite meaningless.

Surplus calories result in weight gain, not any specific component of the calories.

So, glycemic index value is irrelevant when determining weight gain or loss, it really is about CICO?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

So, glycemic index value is irrelevant when determining weight gain or loss, it really is about CICO?

The data suggests that while this may be a variable, there does not seem to be any meaningful impact from glycemic index. Especially considering the variances involved in metabolism. Basal metabolics adapts in the moment - similar to a fire. Provide more fuel and the fire reacts accordingly - hotter fire, but less sustainability.

Things like glycemic index may be observable in extreme outliers, such as in the bodybuilding community, but for anyone over 10% bodyfat this would be undetectable and insignificant.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Fell off the healthy-eating wagon yesterday. Am going to call it a "bad cheat day" and move back to how I have been eating. Hopefully one day won't derail me too badly.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Fell off the healthy-eating wagon yesterday. Am going to call it a "bad cheat day" and move back to how I have been eating. Hopefully one day won't derail me too badly.

One day is just one day. get back on the horse, wagon, etc tomorrow and ride on. Don't try to punish yourself or make up for yesterday. Just press on.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for that. Actually, punishing myself did come to mind, as did making up for yesterday. I might still try the latter, but over the week and not just in one day.

Cheers,

Sean
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Who the hell woo'ed you for this? You are absolutely right!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Since lots of people mistakenly think the Woo button means "Woo hoo!", a positive, I just ignore it.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

Since lots of people mistakenly think the Woo button means "Woo hoo!", a positive, I just ignore it.

When I first joined I thought this and was super confused when people referred to stuff as "woo posts" in a negative way. That and on desktop the emoji is super small, and much less clear it's a negative than on mobile.