1200 Calorie Goal?

Options

Replies

• LaurenMT96
    LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    im 5'7 and I've been doing 1290 for 115 days, I've lost 42 lbs and i still have 40-45 lbs to go, its hard work but Mon-Thurs I have no problem eating 1100 calories as i always manage to go over at the weekend...
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused as to how some of you maintain on such high amounts. I went through the whole calculation and being 48 and petite with a sedentary job, my TDEE is 1535, meaning that technically to lose a pound a week I can only eat 1035 calories a day.

MFP has me at the minimum of 1200 calories and then I eat back some or all of my exercise calories, which is probably why I'm not losing any weight. I wish I could override the setting because I forget that it over estimates my allowable calories. I'm not trying to lose fast, 1/2 a pound a week would be good.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    I'm so confused as to how some of you maintain on such high amounts. I went through the whole calculation and being 48 and petite with a sedentary job, my TDEE is 1535, meaning that technically to lose a pound a week I can only eat 1035 calories a day.

MFP has me at the minimum of 1200 calories and then I eat back some or all of my exercise calories, which is probably why I'm not losing any weight. I wish I could override the setting because I forget that it over estimates my allowable calories. I'm not trying to lose fast, 1/2 a pound a week would be good.

You can input your exercise as 1 cals burn if that helps.
    Plus you can change your TDEE by moving more in ways other than purposeful exercise in simple ways like parking car further away, taking the stairs, lunch break walks etc - that'll help increase your burn.

I'm 48, 5ft 2 and also have a sedentary job but outside of work I'm far from sedentary thus increasing my TDEE to around 2000 cals.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Plus you can change your TDEE by moving more in ways other than purposeful exercise in simple ways like parking car further away, taking the stairs, lunch break walks etc - that'll help increase your burn.

I'm 48, 5ft 2 and also have a sedentary job but outside of work I'm far from sedentary thus increasing my TDEE to around 2000 cals.

Yes, I'm not a couch potato at home either. I have 4 dogs who get me moving a lot and I don't sit down at home until 9 pm most days. But, to calculate for weight loss, that isn't really quantifiable so I choose to not include that in my TDEE calculation. Several days a week I mountain bike hard for at least an hour or two, two other days I lift weights and another day I do a hike with my dogs or long road bike ride, but those to me are more measurable and I list those as exercise.

So then technically, my TDEE is probably higher than 1500 calories and yet I'm still trying to stay at 1200 calories per day with some exercise calories eaten back and I can't lose a pound. I'd rather keep my TDEE lower.

Thanks
  • helencarlos919
    helencarlos919 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m on a plant based diet, so its actually pretty simple to stay under the 1200 calories for the most part lol. My snacks mostly consists of some kind of berry, carrots, or a smoothie.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I’m on a plant based diet, so its actually pretty simple to stay under the 1200 calories for the most part lol. My snacks mostly consists of some kind of berry, carrots, or a smoothie.

But as 1200 is the minimum NET goal for women, you’re not supposed to be under it...
  • daniellewhiteliving
    daniellewhiteliving Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 too..don't think I could go lower!
  • quolwy
    quolwy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My diary is still open if anyone wants to see how I fit 3 meals and a snack into 1200 calories feel free to add me! I love seeing other people's daily diary entries it keeps me inspired :)
  • Imuniquelyjazzy
    Imuniquelyjazzy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    2 weeks in with 1200 calorie goal, would love to be friends, can you add me?
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just started back on MFP and my goal is 1200 per day. My food log is public let me know if i can help you.
  • StopTheGroundhog
    StopTheGroundhog Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    so I'm back on this party bus choo-chooing my way to freedom.

How come you have a steam-powered bus?
    :p

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm not a couch potato at home either. I have 4 dogs who get me moving a lot and I don't sit down at home until 9 pm most days. But, to calculate for weight loss, that isn't really quantifiable so I choose to not include that in my TDEE calculation. Several days a week I mountain bike hard for at least an hour or two, two other days I lift weights and another day I do a hike with my dogs or long road bike ride, but those to me are more measurable and I list those as exercise.

So then technically, my TDEE is probably higher than 1500 calories and yet I'm still trying to stay at 1200 calories per day with some exercise calories eaten back and I can't lose a pound. I'd rather keep my TDEE lower.

Thanks

are you using a food scale for everything? if not you could be eating more and that could be why you arent losing. Im 43 and 5'6 1/2 and maintain on 1900+(with exercise) without exercise its 1400-1500 because my BMR is around 1272. should be higher but its not unfortunately. I weigh everything so I know what Im eating and have been maintaining my weight for the last almost 4 months(I did the math lol) I get 10-12000 steps a day not counting additional exercise. also if you have been eating at 1200 for several months you may need to take a diet break)for a week or two) if you are weighing everything and sure of how much you really are eating. often that helps to get things going again
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    so I'm back on this party bus choo-chooing my way to freedom.

How come you have a steam-powered bus?
    :p

Because why not? XD
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I think that for some, an aggressive loss for a couple of weeks can help keep up momentum and adherence. I agree that not everyone understands this and maybe stays at steep deficit for too long.

I personally like to cut quickly. In my eyes, I will lose just as much muscle being in a deficit for 5 freaking months to lose 5 pounds, rather than getting some fat off quickly and getting back to training in maintenance.

To those women who are short and light maintaining on 2200. Good for you. Many of us do not.

I would just like to add that no, you won't lose as much muscle in 5 months time using a less aggressive deficit while doing some sort of strength training program as you would.

But I do agree that some people would feel more motivated by quick results while starting out, but it's definitely not a sustainable way.

I would also bring up that maybe that can work the first, second or third time around, but some people at some point in there life might not be able to go to the extremes they once aimed for, and therefore for the people that aren't able to keep up with such a low calorie goal, should try a more modest deficit without having to feel defeated at all. As long as you progress in the right direction, that's all that matters.

I personally once lost weight really quickly eating at 1200cals, but after about 3 months eventually burned out and gave up entirely, half way to my goal.

This time, I tried and wasn't able to control my hunger and sustain my daily activities, so I have set my calorie deficit to ''lose 1lb a week'' and I have been able to lose while living a normal life AND working out as well.
  • queenoscots
    queenoscots Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also eat 1200 cal per day. I walk and swim laps for exercise. I'm pleased to meet others with this calorie goal!
  • cpena195
    cpena195 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories too! Add me
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 1in and am 65 years old. I am still about 50 pounds more than I would like to be. I lost 75 pounds but it took me 2 years and that was about 3 years ago. Now I am up and down within a range of 5 pounds and I cannot make progress losing unless I stick to about 1200 or 1300 calories a day. On the days I hit the gym I "lose" but if I go above 1300 on the days I don't go to the gym I will gain a few tenths of a pound.

But I am still very glad that I have not given up and have at least maintained my 75 lb. weight loss the last 3 years. I decided I will not ever allow myself to go above 200 lb. ever again.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Zombie post.
  • mmm4h
    mmm4h Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am trying to lose weight and tried doing 1200 but ended up gaining the weight back. Now I set mfp to 1600 for 1lb a week. Has anyone had luck with that?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    mmm4h wrote: »
    Hi! I am trying to lose weight and tried doing 1200 but ended up gaining the weight back. Now I set mfp to 1600 for 1lb a week. Has anyone had luck with that?

If you aren’t losing at 1200, adding 400 calories isn’t going to make you start losing. Weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit.

If you aren’t losing at your perceived 1200 calorie intake my first question would be how accurate is your logging? Are you logging all of your intake and using a food scale? Many people aren’t losing because they are actually eating more than they think. Adding more calories to an already inaccurate logging approach will not solve the problem.

What are your stats - height, weight, goal weight? What rate of loss did you choose? Are you exercising and eating back those calories?

How long have you been attempting to lose at 1200 and what were your actual results?