Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Am 5'7" and 255#. So, 50 is okay for now. :D
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Seanb_us wrote: »
    As was pointed out, I need to eat like a human. I am eating simpler and fewer processed foods, but fruit and granola, etc., have lots of carbs and, even though I'm eating more salad (yuck), I'm over on carbs a fair bit. So, I plan to adjust my percentages along the lines of those suggested here over the coming week. Thanks for the experienced advice!

Salad is only YUCK if you add foods to a salad you find YUCK. A salad isn't a set rigid meal with set ingredients, you can add whatever you like to a salad. Be adventurous.

Yeah, not a fan of lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, celery... :D Yuck.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    As was pointed out, I need to eat like a human. I am eating simpler and fewer processed foods, but fruit and granola, etc., have lots of carbs and, even though I'm eating more salad (yuck), I'm over on carbs a fair bit. So, I plan to adjust my percentages along the lines of those suggested here over the coming week. Thanks for the experienced advice!

Salad is only YUCK if you add foods to a salad you find YUCK. A salad isn't a set rigid meal with set ingredients, you can add whatever you like to a salad. Be adventurous.

Then... don’t eat them?

You absolutely will not stick to a diet of foods that you don’t like. And it’s not required, for either weight loss or for health.

How do you feel about red peppers? Tomatoes? Baby sweetcorn? Sugar snap peas? Red onions? Watermelon? You can put any or all of those in a salad. Or if you prefer your vegetables roasted, why not... eat roast veg instead of salad? I love a big ol’ plate of roast squash or roast aubergine, and if you use a pastry brush or similar to put oil on each wedge rather than shaking it into the tin it doesn’t need to be high calorie.

And there’s nothing magically healthy about granola.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Have you tried different types of leaf, I find lettuce dull, so I mix it with baby spinach, watercress and rocket. There's also red leaf, chard, pea shoots etc etc. There are loads of much yummier types of salad leaves, don't restrict yourself with just lettuce!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

Bolthouse yogurt dressings. They have a greek yogurt base and the calories are low enough that you can use enough to hide the taste of pretty much everything else in the bowl. This stuff literally makes salad worth eating!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    deviette wrote: »

Have you tried different types of leaf, I find lettuce dull, so I mix it with baby spinach, watercress and rocket. There's also red leaf, chard, pea shoots etc etc. There are loads of much yummier types of salad leaves, don't restrict yourself with just lettuce!

Pea shoots are wicked good. I keep meaning to get some seeds and sprout them.

I'm growing Malabar spinach this year for the first time - regular spinach bolts too quickly here in MA. I read two plants will feed a family and I got a much higher germination rate from my seeds than I expected - I have 6 seedlings coming up now and possibly more on the way. I'll be putting it in salads and smoothies.

I'm also growing Swiss chard and kale for salads and smoothies.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    deviette wrote: »

I do mix it up. And, truth be told, salad is ok. :D
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    ^ What NovusDies said. But I would also ask, Are you planning to exercise? Even just a little cardio can help make your diet not seem so restrictive. Depending on your size, walking 5K or more a day can increase your calorie intake to 1800 or even 2000, and that's not nearly so hard to do as 1500.

Also, as a former low-carber, I will say that it's been my experience that trying to restrict a category of macronutrients doesn't work for all of us. I did wonderfully for a few months, but I eventually broke down. I've found that watching my sugar intake is a lot easier than giving up bread and potatoes, lol. Because of a personal health problem, I can only do 25 g of sugar a day. A normal person -- especially a man -- doesn't need to set the bar that low, though. I have to track all sugars. Normal people only need to worry about added sugars, like the sugar you put into your coffee or the sugar baked into those cookies, etc. Try to cut those down to 25 g or less a day.

I know that the temptation to make weight loss into a sprint rather than a marathon is a strong one. You want the days of restriction to be over with as quickly as possible, so you can go back to just eating what you want. Get that out of your head. The primary goal of your dieting should be to learn to eat what you like in healthy amounts, so you will never have to "diet" again. I've dieted very aggressively in the past, lost the weight, and gone back to my old patterns, gotten heavier, dieted aggressively again, lost the weight, and then gone back to my old patterns again. This is my second time coming to MFP to lose weight, because I didn't learn my lesson the first time. But I'm taking things much more slowly this time, going for half a pound a week. I don't want to keep rinsing and repeating.

I started with cardio this week.
  • Seanb_us
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Today, I read about "keto" diets. I hadn't heard of them before (I had heard of "South Beach"). That's not what I am doing. I am reducing some particular sources of carbs, potatoes, pasta, bread, and rice, but not cutting them out entirely and not cutting out carbs from other sources.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Do you think resetting myfitnesspal goals to 20% carbs, 25% fat, and 55% protein would be a good approach to setting values on what low-carb means?
    Whoa, that's dangerous. There is no problem with getting a second opinion from a second doctor. But be careful when looking for a doctor: remember, "patient" is a euphemism for "customer", and business likes repeat customers.

• ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Interesting conversation. I am caught between continuing to eat moderate carbs and increase plant-based foods, while reducing overall caloric intake. My daughter has done keto for a month and a half and she has lost almost 15 pounds. She eats only carbs from fruit and vegetables, but she eats higher protein. I've lost no weight in the three weeks I have limited fats and carbs. It's hard to choose, but in the end, I guess we just have to go with what works for us regardless of what others do. I'm still searching for what works for me, so this is interesting stuff.
  • Seanb_us
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    Do you think resetting myfitnesspal goals to 20% carbs, 25% fat, and 55% protein would be a good approach to setting values on what low-carb means?
    Whoa, that's dangerous...

Hey,

Thanks for the thoughts. Some additional info:

My doc didn't say 20 carbs, 25 fat, and 55 protein. He also didn't say 1600 calories a day, which was what I first set as my goal. So, I was asking the group if those seemed reasonable for what the doc did say:

Paraphrased, he said: "Don't eat potatoes, bread, pasta, or rice. As a guide, have bacon and eggs for breakfast and a salad with grilled chicken for lunch. Fast for dinner during the week. On the weekends, eat more as long as you account for it with exercise."

So, I took that as reduce carbs (don't eliminate them) but proteins and fat are okay. I wanted to see what was reasonable as I started this. (As an aside, why is what I proposed dangerous?)

Anyway, based on just what I could reasonably consumed, I set this to 25% carbs, 40% fat, and 35% protein. I am thinking of changing that again this month to reflect more closely what I am finding that I can do (I am over on carbs some days).

I also have changed my target calories to 1800 per day and am making sure to walk 3 miles 3-4 times a week. My starting weight was 254 and am 5' 7".

I am still not eating potatoes, bread, pasta, or rice.

Cheers,

Sean
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Interesting conversation. I am caught between continuing to eat moderate carbs and increase plant-based foods, while reducing overall caloric intake. My daughter has done keto for a month and a half and she has lost almost 15 pounds. She eats only carbs from fruit and vegetables, but she eats higher protein. I've lost no weight in the three weeks I have limited fats and carbs. It's hard to choose, but in the end, I guess we just have to go with what works for us regardless of what others do. I'm still searching for what works for me, so this is interesting stuff.

Bottom line is about reducing calories. I began by eating a lot of fruit, because, yum, but there's a lot of sugar in there. Veggies are a better, but more yucky option. By reducing but not eliminating carbs, by getting rid of pasta and spuds, for example, I am reducing calories. Am drinking way less beer, too, which helps me. And, am eating protein because I find it filling but also because, correctly or not, I perceive it's better for me than fat.

Overall, though, I think fasting for dinner is really helping because of the calorie deficit.

Cheers,

Sean
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Hey,

My doc didn't say 20 carbs, 25 fat, and 55 protein. He also didn't say 1600 calories a day, which was what I first set as my goal. So, I was asking the group if those seemed reasonable for what the doc did say:

Paraphrased, he said: "Don't eat potatoes, bread, pasta, or rice. As a guide, have bacon and eggs for breakfast and a salad with grilled chicken for lunch. Fast for dinner during the week. On the weekends, eat more as long as you account for it with exercise."

So, I took that as reduce carbs (don't eliminate them) but proteins and fat are okay. I wanted to see what was reasonable as I started this. (As an aside, why is what I proposed dangerous?)

Anyway, based on just what I could reasonably consumed, I set this to 25% carbs, 40% fat, and 35% protein. I am thinking of changing that again this month to reflect more closely what I am finding that I can do (I am over on carbs some days).

I also have changed my target calories to 1800 per day and am making sure to walk 3 miles 3-4 times a week. My starting weight was 254 and am 5' 7".

Cheers,

Sean

As written, that's a VLCD as well as being very low low carb.

At 255/5'7" you're really not heavy enough to be prescribed a VLCD, and to top it off, that seems like it could easily trend to being nutrient poor as well fairly quickly. Has he diagnosed you as IR or prediabetic?
  • Seanb_us
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hey,

Cheers,

Sean

At 255/5'7" you're really not heavy enough to be prescribed a VLCD, and to top it off, that seems like it could easily trend to being nutrient poor as well fairly quickly. Has he diagnosed you as IR or prediabetic?

"Prediabetic," yes, but I'm not quite sure what that means. I figured it just meant I was obese. Is there actually a measurement that defines "prediabetic"?

Also, as mentioned, the doc didn't tell me a calorie number. I came up with 1600 initially on MFP because I wanted to lose 2lb per week. But, I changed it to 1800 quickly. I am also eating a range of foods, and do take a daily multivitamin, so expect my nutrition is no worse than before I was watching what I eat ;)

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Hey,

Cheers,

Sean

"Prediabetic," yes, but I'm not quite sure what that means. I figured it just meant I was obese. Is there actually a measurement that defines "prediabetic"?

Also, as mentioned, the doc didn't tell me a calorie number. I came up with 1600 initially on MFP because I wanted to lose 2lb per week. But, I changed it to 1800 quickly. I am also eating a range of foods, and do take a daily multivitamin, so expect my nutrition is no worse than before I was watching what I eat ;)

Yes, there is, and obesity is just one piece of that. It also means that losing weight for you is a bit more urgent than for someone who hasn't been identified as prediabetic, but happens to be obese.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Hey,

Cheers,

Sean

Hey,

Cheers,

Sean

I think you should ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian (not a nutritionist.)
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think you should ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian (not a nutritionist.)

Hey, I could, yes; that might not be such a bad idea.

Am willing to see how I do on my own, though, as well. I work a couple of jobs and have 3 kids in college, sooooo ... adding another appointment to my schedule is not so easy (quite bonkers, actually).

I did ask Google, who knows everything, about prediabetes, and Google claims fasting blood sugar (did not eat for 8 hours) 100-125 is prediabetic.

I did not know that.

I do work in the medical field and occasionally test my own blood sugar (not for medical reasons), and I'm usually 80-120 not fasting.

So, understanding portable glucometers are less accurate than a lab, I'd have to say I am surprised I was found to be prediabetic.

Good to know though.

Cheers,

Sean
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Hey,

Cheers,

Sean

Prediabetic means your fasting blood glucose or insulin is high. It is not high enough to be called a T2D and be medicated yet, but it is above normal. In Canada, I think it is a FBG of around 5.5-6.0 or something along those lines.

You can be prediabetics without being obese, but excess weight is often associated with it. Weight loss usually helps reduce blood glucose, as does a low carb diet and exercise. Higher carbs, sedentary lifestyle, and extra weight tend to lead to T2D.