Weight Loss

Options
How do you guys stick to your diet, and exercise when you have kids and a husband that loves pizza? I really want to loss weight but im having trouble sticking to it. Also how do you keep up your water intake?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Two slices of pizza with a huge side of salad or make your own pizzas to your liking and calories instead. I start off with a wholemeal pita bread base and go from there. Homemade is so much nicer.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    We all have our own personal challenges. You can use "single and lonely" as an excuse to overeat too. Your diet is just what you eat. At the time I found MFP, back in 2013, I learnt that I could, and decided, to eat what and how I want, not what I've been told (before) to eat. Feeling free to eat as I like, actually made my diet look quite similar to the government's recommmendation, but I have my own take on it. For instance, I eat more fat, saturated fat and salt, but I avoid fruit juices and sugary cereals, I eat a lot of vegetables, and I cook most of my meals from scratch.

As for water, I drink two cups when I get up, one cup before or after every meal, and one cup before I brush my teeth. In the summer I just chug it down, and I eat more salt.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you are looking for external motivation to stick to your diet then you are likely going to fail. Motivation has to be driven by you and you alone. You have to give yourself the reason to keep going. You are the one constant in your life; rely on yourself.

Regarding water, it’s a habit like anything else. Get into the routine of always having water with you and regularly sip throughout the day.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I eat LCHF. I tend not to crave junk food when I eat in this model and will normally eat in a deficit, or maintenance.

It can be tough when I first switch over to LCHF as my wife and son both have snacks in the house and there is always biscuits and chocolate bars floating around in the office at work. But after a couple of weeks I don’t miss eating them or fell temptation.

Good luck OP, I hope you find something that works for you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I still eat pizza nearly every week, I just got it into my goals. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. You can still eat what you want within those calories, just not as much as you used to. Now I order a small pizza and eat half for dinner and half for lunch the next day.

As for water, I just drink when I’m thirsty or working out and make sure I’m hydrated. No set amount.
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I plan a week of meals ahead and pin it on the fridge. This has saved money shopping too because I only buy what we need. I have created my own recipe collection on the app so I can log meals in advance and adjust my days meals around a tea everyone will eat. I always aim for 1/2 a plate of veg or salad to keep calories low but still feel satisfied.

As for drink I have a sports bottle of sugar free squash made up and I carry it around with me and keep sipping and topping up. This makes it easy to track when you’ve had a minimum of 2 litres.
  • samheun
    samheun Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not making excuses im asking what helps you keep up with it? My problem is i forget to eat most of the day then by dinner im starving and eating everything in sight. My husband loves pizza so we end up eating it alot
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Let your husband have the pizza and you have something else, what you don't eat he can have the next day. Or ask him to support you in this and give the pizza a miss altogether. If it's the convenience you like then the best thing I bought was a slow cooker, I chuck it in on a morning and by dinner time it feeds a family of 5 with little effort.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    samheun wrote: »
    Not making excuses im asking what helps you keep up with it? My problem is i forget to eat most of the day then by dinner im starving and eating everything in sight. My husband loves pizza so we end up eating it alot
    If you hit, but don't exceed, your total calories for the day, you're fine. If you just forget to eat, you're not starving. You should eat what you like too, not just what your husband likes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not making excuses im asking what helps you keep up with it?
    Motivation and commitment to my goals. (Health, fitness, enjoyment....)
    You have free will and make choices every time you eat or drink, consciously make choices rather than being driven by your circumstances. The fork (or pizza!) is in your hands.

My problem is i forget to eat most of the day then by dinner im starving and eating everything in sight.
    Plan your day better. Make breakfast and/or lunch part of your routine if it helps you stick to your daily goal. Set a reminder. Prep your food in advance..... It doesn't have to take long to prep food.

My husband loves pizza so we end up eating it alot.
    Pizza is just a mix of the three macronutrients, if you enjoy it then eat it in he appropriate quantities for you (not the appropriate quantities for your husband).
    Have a couple of slices with a salad perhaps?
    Cook your own if commercial pizza is too high calories for you.
    Eat something else if you prefer something else.

PS - do you actually have a problem with staying adequately hydrated? Drinking more water (or other fluids) than you need doesn't help weight loss. I just drink to my thirst, like the rest of the animal kingdom! :smiley:

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat pizza. If they order pizza, I make a big salad to go with it and throw some chicken and avocado or egg (whatever I have around) on mine. (I do keto so pizza isn’t something I normally eat.) I get up early to exercise and also exercise with my kids. I drink about half of the water at the gym and on the way home, and sip the other half while at work instead of snacking.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I plan a week of meals ahead and pin it on the fridge. This has saved money shopping too because I only buy what we need. I have created my own recipe collection on the app so I can log meals in advance and adjust my days meals around a tea everyone will eat. I always aim for 1/2 a plate of veg or salad to keep calories low but still feel satisfied.

As for drink I have a sports bottle of sugar free squash made up and I carry it around with me and keep sipping and topping up. This makes it easy to track when you’ve had a minimum of 2 litres.

Except for the drinking this is my approach too. Agree the menu with other half and shop to it - occasionally have to switch meals around as life happens but most meals in my recipe folder work out a similar calorie count according to whether they are lunch or dinner. If hubby wants something not on the menu plan he sorts it. Mind you today he did return from a mornings diving clutching a pack of Melton Mowbray Pork Pies for a lunch treat!!! Definitely not on my normal eating plan, they are really calorie dense! I had my share and will work the rest of the day around it now.

I drink when I am thirsty - or am taking a break from whatever activity is being done for the day. Perhaps you could try grabbing a drink every time you stop/pause in your day - doesn't have to be water.

I know it is a bit daunting at first but once you (and your family) are in the groove it is not too difficult. It helps if the other half is supportive but one thing I did learn along the way - you cannot make your diet your family's problem. Even though my other half was overweight his decision to slim down had to come from him and I spent a long time on the journey solo. Let him eat what he wants - you don't have to have such big portions if you join him.

Good Luck - there are hundreds on here who prove it is do-able
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I plan out my whole day and log it first thing in the morning. If I don’t know for sure what dinner will be that day, I’ll log in a generic calorie number that I will save for dinner then change it to specifics later. There are ways to make any meal lower calorie (veggies are your friend).

If you commit to your calorie goal every day, without too much variance, then within a week you will find it gets easier.
  • SingingElvis
    SingingElvis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about batch cooking meals and freezing them? I work long hours during the week and then try to do some exercise (gym class or dog walk) most evenings. So I spend some time at a weekend making large batches of meals, portion them out and freeze them. The recipe builder means I know the calorie count, and I jot this on the freezer bag label. Then I just pull a portion out in the evening for the next day and job done. In terms of the husband he eats the same as me, but more pasta / rice for him and more veggies for me. Things like chilli, pasta sauce, curry generally freeze well and can be made to your family's taste.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My problem is i forget to eat most of the day then by dinner im starving and eating everything in sight.

Ah, the real problem emerges. Use an alarm app to remind you to eat during the day. :+1:

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Moderation. I still eat pizza, fast food, chips, cookies, just in moderation.

I don't deny myself foods I enjoy, I just have less so that I can stick to my calorie goals.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Planning ahead will help. Plan what/when you're going to eat for the day, or even week. Set an alarm to remind yourself to eat if you have to.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I put exactly two slices of pizza on my plate and walk away. Two is what I can fit in. Leaving the room keeps me from eating more slices.

As for water, I've been using water enhancers to flavor my water and encourage me to drink more. I don't always get 8 cups, but I do get 6 cups most days.

I keep lean cuisines or other frozen dinners on hand for when the dinner I've planned for the family is something that I will have a hard time with portion control.