How many carbs do you typically eat in a day?

Options
BlessedMom70
BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes last summer, told to “watch the carbs” and have my A1C tested again in the spring. I did, and (thankfully), I am back in the normal range (numbers went from 5.8 down to 5.1).

I lowered it by staying under 120 carbs a day. Well, now I’m afraid to go any higher although I see a lot of people consuming around 200-250 carbs/day (from looking at their food diaries). Is 200 safe for someone like me though, who has been in the pre-diabetic zone? Obviously, I don’t want to go back!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I'm probably on average about 250 carbs/day. I brought my glucose numbers down from the pre-diabetic range to normal through weight loss and exercise, not by "watching the carbs" (which frankly seems like pretty value-less advice if they didn't even give you a specific number to shoot for -- it sounds like you picked the 120 carbs on your own?).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    When I was pre-diabetic, It wasn't about total carbs for me, it was more about carbs per eating session and food combinations. I tried to stay around 40-50 grams of carbs per meal and no more than 20 grams for snacks. I also made sure that each meal included protein, fat, and fiber, and that the kinds of carbs I was eating were not predominantly the kinds that I knew increased my blood glucose (I discovered those through post-meal home testing).

Now that I'm no longer pre-diabetic (my blood sugar normalized due to weight loss and increased activity), I don't really regulate carbs in any particular way other than how many calories I have for them. The amount I eat can be as low as 120 or as high as 300+ depending on how many calories I have to play with. I make sure to get my minimum protein and fat, and whatever fills the rest of my calories depends on what I feel like eating.
  • SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm probably on average about 250 carbs/day. I brought my glucose numbers down from the pre-diabetic range to normal through weight loss and exercise, not by "watching the carbs" (which frankly seems like pretty value-less advice if they didn't even give you a specific number to shoot for -- it sounds like you picked the 120 carbs on your own?).

This was my experience as well-I normalized prediabetc glucose numbers by losing the extra weight. I never focused on my carb intake though. I'm a few years into maintenance now and I eat a higher carb, plant based diet. I've had normal fasting glucose numbers, in the 80s, for over 5 years now. For me, my weight controls my glucose number.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i probably average around 120 a day. not through purposely doing so, but for years and years, i cooked for my ex and grandfather who were both diabetic, so its more or less a habit now. that and i dont have a love affair with typically higher carb foods like rice or potatoes. i rarely make either, to be honest.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I lowered my a1c as well for now. I eat 400grams of carbs a day and borderline on active as a squirrel on crack. Higher fiber though. Lots of veggies and a small amount of fruit. I think the ADA recommends 45% of calories from carbs.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Looking at my report it looks like I typically eat between 100-200 g with a few days higher and lower. My carb goal from MFP is 175 g for 1400 calories. I really just try to hit my protein and calorie goal and don't worry about the carb goal.
    I am not pre-diabetic or diabetic.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes last summer, told to “watch the carbs” and have my A1C tested again in the spring. I did, and (thankfully), I am back in the normal range (numbers went from 5.8 down to 5.1).

I lowered it by staying under 120 carbs a day. Well, now I’m afraid to go any higher although I see a lot of people consuming around 200-250 carbs/day (from looking at their food diaries). Is 200 safe for someone like me though, who has been in the pre-diabetic zone? Obviously, I don’t want to go back!

Congrats on lowering your numbers!

Ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian (not a nutritionist.)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had 455! That's unusual; usually it is under 300, but not under 200.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Usually, a lot! But then my A1C is relatively low (still in healthy range). So I don't worry about carbs, just about how many calories in total I have.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Cutting: less than 250
    Refeeds: 800
    Bulking: 500-600
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I too reversed my prediabetes with low carb. Once I hit goal, I started increasing carbs (mine were very low at about 20g) and I used a blood glucose metre to check how carbs, and their amounts, affected my BG. I would test before eating, and then about 60 and 120 minutes later. I wanted a BG swing of less than 20 up, or I tended to drop 10 lower than where I started (resulting in BG energy swings and hunger).

Anyways, the only way to be sure that a certain level of carb, or food type, is not negatively affecting you is to test.

TBH, you might consider staying close to whatever carb level was working for you. If you increase carbs, there is a risk that your A1C will go up since you will no longer be doing what got you there. KWIM?

I'm a killjoy. LOL ;)

FYI I'm back to very low carb. Raising carbs raised my BG and I regained some weight due to increased hunger. I will on occasion splurge, but most days are below my low carb limit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I wanted a BG swing of less than 20 up, or I tended to drop 10 lower than where I started (resulting in BG energy swings and hunger).

Hunger is different from person to person, and that limit is self-imposed. I don't think such drastic criteria are necessary for blood sugar management. If a post-meal reading is under 140, it's comparable to a person who doesn't have blood sugar issues. Even the most insulin sensitive people can get increases higher than 20 with the right foods.

Agreed. I did not say it wasn't. It was for the personal BG goals that I wanted to achieve.

A post prandial reading of 140 is a fair bit higher than what I would consider acceptable for myself. I try to stay below 120. 110 is better. I try to stay in optimal BG range most of the time.
  • BlessedMom70
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I wanted a BG swing of less than 20 up, or I tended to drop 10 lower than where I started (resulting in BG energy swings and hunger).

Hunger is different from person to person, and that limit is self-imposed. I don't think such drastic criteria are necessary for blood sugar management. If a post-meal reading is under 140, it's comparable to a person who doesn't have blood sugar issues. Even the most insulin sensitive people can get increases higher than 20 with the right foods.

Agreed. I did not say it wasn't. It was for the personal BG goals that I wanted to achieve.

A post prandial reading of 140 is a fair bit higher than what I would consider acceptable for myself. I try to stay below 120. 110 is better. I try to stay in optimal BG range most of the time.

Exactly. Like a person would see a weight over 20 BMI a fair bit higher than they would consider acceptable for themselves, which doesn't mean a person with 23 BMI isn't at a healthy weight. Just repeating this for OP: you can be as strict or as lenient as you can afford. There is a fair bit of range in acceptable blood glucose. With that being said, your A1C may go up a little initially, partially due to increased carbs and partially due to the adaptation period that usually happens when someone increases their carb level after low carb where the body becomes temporarily more insulin resistant. If you continue to lose weight and increase your activity, it will likely go back down on its own regardless of your carb level.

The most important thing is to find a way that is sustainable for you. Losing weight if you're overweight is the best non-medical intervention for blood sugar. It produces true improvements in insulin sensitivity, not just a band aid. If eating at your current carb level feels pleasant and sustainable, you don't need to change it. If it feels too restrictive, increase your carbs. Giving yourself the best odds for weight loss is more important than your carb level, at least for now.
  • BlessedMom70
    Options

Exactly. Like a person would see a weight over 20 BMI a fair bit higher than they would consider acceptable for themselves, which doesn't mean a person with 23 BMI isn't at a healthy weight. Just repeating this for OP: you can be as strict or as lenient as you can afford. There is a fair bit of range in acceptable blood glucose. With that being said, your A1C may go up a little initially, partially due to increased carbs and partially due to the adaptation period that usually happens when someone increases their carb level after low carb where the body becomes temporarily more insulin resistant. If you continue to lose weight and increase your activity, it will likely go back down on its own regardless of your carb level.

The most important thing is to find a way that is sustainable for you. Losing weight if you're overweight is the best non-medical intervention for blood sugar. It produces true improvements in insulin sensitivity, not just a band aid. If eating at your current carb level feels pleasant and sustainable, you don't need to change it. If it feels too restrictive, increase your carbs. Giving yourself the best odds for weight loss is more important than your carb level, at least for now.

Wise words, and great food for thought (haha).. thank you!
  • lizzyfit2
    lizzyfit2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have bad food allergies, grains being a major no-no.... so is refined sugar, milk products, processed foods (chemicals)....
    Fresh veggies, fruit, meats and fish is all good, except for hi starch veggies like potatoes, corn and parsnips...
    My "normal" daily carb intake is 80-95mg..
    Not hard for me to stick to, the repercussions of being naughty makes me really ill.