I don’t like vegetables

Options
Okay. I like CANNED French style green beans with a sprinkle of bacon bits. I like cooked CANNED sliced carrots with a little Splenda brown sugar. I like corn and potatoes—which don’t even count as vegetables since they are starches. And I like celery.

That’s it. Nothing else. And add to it I also don’t care for most herbs and spices. I love cinnamon. I’ll eat Rosemary.

Yes, I am a picky eater. But everyone acts like that’s a choice. Trust me, if it were I would choose to eat SALADS!! It is not a choice. It’s a tongue-curling, gag-reflex-inducing, stomach-churning,and at times embarrassing part of my difficulties with dieting.

I actual LIKE to diet. I like the regimen, the control, the organization of it all. However, it narrows my choices down to almost nothing. Meat, potatoes, and bread. Don’t get me wrong, just because I don’t eat vegetables doesn’t mean I am bored with what I eat. I am not. But I am limited to how much I can eat in a day.

Currently, I am on a 1500 calorie/day regimen. It is now 6:00 PM. I have had all 3 meals and an afternoon snack. I plan to have a caffeine free Diet Coke & a snack-pack of Pringles (90 calories) for an evening snack. And I will still have 400 calories left over!!!! Not good.

A couple years ago, I actually tried salad (that I made myself). Baby spinach, very small bits of raw carrots, celery, sliced almonds, bacon bits, cranberries, and a sprinkle of cheese. Since that time, I have had colon surgery and now that salad hates my guts! Literally!! LOL!

Other than children, I’ve never met anyone with as limited palette as mine.

I’m just putting this out there. I will continue with MyFitnessPal—which makes this SO much easier! I have 75 pounds to lose. It’ll just take longer.

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    "Vegetables" have all different types of tastes and textures, and different veggies have different tastes and textures when you cook them differently. Stir-fried broccoli, roasted cabbage, grilled romaine, baked eggplant, all completely different. As kshama2001 said, maybe experimenting with individual veggies cooked different ways would help.

Starchy veggies are still veggies.

It sounds like you also have other health conditions that are limiting your food choices? If so, and you are struggling to eat enough food based on what you can eat, see if you can get a referral to a registered dietitian who can help you put together a meal plan that will get you enough calories and nutrition.

And if being a picky eater with the vast majority of veggies is causing you embarrassment or undereating, counseling may help. I'm glad logging is helping too!
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Girl, I know! For me it's not so much a taste thing ... but a texture thing. Over the last couple years I've PUSHED myself to learn to love a couple more of them. I can now eat Potatoes (Sweet too), Squash, Green Beans, Broccoli, Corn, and Baby Spinach. All has to be cooked or it's just a gag fest. Fruits are the same way. I love the juices, but some of the textures I just can't do. Strawberries and Bananas are about all I can handle in their raw form. I look at it this way, as long as there are a few I like, then it's all good. There's no handbook that says we have to eat them all for it to be healthy. Stick to the ones you like and add them in more often. If you find yourself just hungry, and you don't want any more vegetables, add in more lean protein. It'll keep you fuller longer. =) Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm here every day!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    By the way.. do you like ice cream? Ice cream is great for filling in those last few hundred calories :)
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    So you don't like vegetables. Eat what u like.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,010 Member
    Options
    Girl, I know! For me it's not so much a taste thing ... but a texture thing. Over the last couple years I've PUSHED myself to learn to love a couple more of them. I can now eat Potatoes (Sweet too), Squash, Green Beans, Broccoli, Corn, and Baby Spinach. All has to be cooked or it's just a gag fest. Fruits are the same way. I love the juices, but some of the textures I just can't do. Strawberries and Bananas are about all I can handle in their raw form. I look at it this way, as long as there are a few I like, then it's all good. There's no handbook that says we have to eat them all for it to be healthy. Stick to the ones you like and add them in more often. If you find yourself just hungry, and you don't want any more vegetables, add in more lean protein. It'll keep you fuller longer. =) Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm here every day!

Ya, I have texture aversion to a few foods - raw tomatoes, blech, can't stand them, but canned are fine. I don't like eating mushrooms, but like their flavor, so will cook with them and then pick them out. Things with tentacles :s
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    Eat the food you like and fit them into your calorie goal.

My dd does not like most vegetables. She eats more fruit.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    That's okay. I hate sweet potatoes, kale, and quinoa, so I don't eat them. Don't eat things you don't like. No big deal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Raw vegetables cause issues for lots of people. I can eat salad, but I can't eat a ton of salad.

Most of what I eat vegetable wise is cooked.

Personally, I count things like corn and potatoes and other root vegetables as vegetables...because they are...it doesn't matter that they are a starch...carbohydrates are either starch, sugar, or fiber and usually a combination. Look up the nutritional information for a potato...it's a powerhouse.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like. :)

If you think you're low on micronutrients, supplement with a daily multivitamin or some greens powder in your smoothies/yogurt.
  • SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Okay. I like CANNED French style green beans with a sprinkle of bacon bits. I like cooked CANNED sliced carrots with a little Splenda brown sugar. I like corn and potatoes—which don’t even count as vegetables since they are starches. And I like celery.

That’s it. Nothing else. And add to it I also don’t care for most herbs and spices. I love cinnamon. I’ll eat Rosemary.

Yes, I am a picky eater. But everyone acts like that’s a choice. Trust me, if it were I would choose to eat SALADS!! It is not a choice. It’s a tongue-curling, gag-reflex-inducing, stomach-churning,and at times embarrassing part of my difficulties with dieting.

I actual LIKE to diet. I like the regimen, the control, the organization of it all. However, it narrows my choices down to almost nothing. Meat, potatoes, and bread. Don’t get me wrong, just because I don’t eat vegetables doesn’t mean I am bored with what I eat. I am not. But I am limited to how much I can eat in a day.

Currently, I am on a 1500 calorie/day regimen. It is now 6:00 PM. I have had all 3 meals and an afternoon snack. I plan to have a caffeine free Diet Coke & a snack-pack of Pringles (90 calories) for an evening snack. And I will still have 400 calories left over!!!! Not good.

A couple years ago, I actually tried salad (that I made myself). Baby spinach, very small bits of raw carrots, celery, sliced almonds, bacon bits, cranberries, and a sprinkle of cheese. Since that time, I have had colon surgery and now that salad hates my guts! Literally!! LOL!

I’m just putting this out there. I will continue with MyFitnessPal—which makes this SO much easier! I have 75 pounds to lose. It’ll just take longer.

Thanks for listening.

Ha, you've never met my husband :p I've known him for over 20 years and I've seen him attempt to eat ONE salad-at a wedding reception. It did not end well LOL.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good advice for authentic food freedom. No menu plans or recipes required, so much easier.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Cooked and canned vegetables are still vegetables. You can also get a lot of micronutrients from fruit if you don't want to eat vegetables. You can lose weight just fine by eating whatever you want as long as it fits your calorie goal. I would just take a look at the micronutrients you're getting (i.e., vitamins and minerals) and talk to your doctor if you think you might be deficient.

If you *want* to develop a taste for vegetables, *and* they're vegetables that work for your medical concerns, then you can try a broader variety of veggies and cooking them different ways. But there's no reason why you have to do that if you don't want to.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a lot of texture issues as well, and a very limited diet to go along with it. It was fascinating to have a conversation with her about what textures were a problem - like, she likes 'crunchy' foods, but only if they are crunchy in a way that breaks down in your mouth, like a cracker would. If it STAYS crunchy while chewing, like a raw carrot, it just makes her want to die a little inside, LOL.

Considering I will literally dry heave if I try to eat things with a pudding texture, or an over-ripe banana, I can sympathize.

Although, have you ever been checked for low level allergies or a sensitivity to some of the foods, potentially? There are SO many veggies that I have hated my entire life, it was a running joke of how picky an eater I was. Then as an adult, I found out I have low level allergies to a number of these foods, and a reaction to a component that is in a lot more of them (like salicylates are in many veggies). I would just gag at the smell of some, the feel of them in my mouth for others, or my gut would feel terrible for others.

And all this time, I was actually reacting to them. Who knew, you know? Certainly not me!

Or have you looked into FODMAPs? People who have to be on a low FODMAP diet often like canned veggies better than raw because the processing lowers the amount of FODMAPs. Monash university has good information on this sort of thing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no requirement to get vegetables into your diet.
    It is good to eat some plant-based foods and you do.
    Do you eat fruit once in a while? Apples? Raisins?
    If you need to eat more calories try more of these: granola, butter, nuts, peanut butter,
    chocolate, bread, cheese, bacon, cornbread,
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    There are many, many veggies available and a gazillion ways to cook them. Keep trying.

For the purpose of nutrition, micronutrients, fiber, etc....you might want to incorporate some of the starchy vegetables that you do like, and eat fruit.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

Thanks for listening.

To say you say you don't like vegetables then list 5 that you do like, means to me you do like some vegetables, so keep trying different ones. Canned veggies still count, potatoes and corn still count as vegetables. There are a lot of vegetables I don't like, but then there's a lot I do like too.