I tried Weight Watchers and just couldn’t stick with it. Anyone else?

Options
BlessedMom70
BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I found it too restrictive. I know that it is supposedly the #1 weight loss diet in the country, but wow...how? A Luna bar is almost half of my daily points allowance. A piece of carrot cake? More than an entire day’s points plus half of my weekly points allowance. A trip to Dairy Queen? Forget it.

How do people stick to this program? I eat healthy foods, but I like my treats too. I do envy those that can do this program...maybe I just lack the willpower that they have (?).

Counting calories is so freeing. I can eat what I want as long as I stay within my calories budget. I just can’t see WW as a sustainable life long plan. I’m glad I cancelled my subscription. Calorie counting makes so much more sense to me.

Replies

• lmxxox
    lmxxox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I JUST made a post about this as well! I loved it at first but found myself not wanting to track certain items, because my morning bowl of oatmeal with a tsp of brown sugar shouldn't be 1/3 of my daily points when it's so low calorie! Welcome back!
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    lmxxox wrote: »
    I JUST made a post about this as well! I loved it at first but found myself not wanting to track certain items, because my morning bowl of oatmeal with a tsp of brown sugar shouldn't be 1/3 of my daily points when it's so low calorie! Welcome back!

...and so healthy! And thank you! :)

• susanpasq
    susanpasq Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My daughter is doing WW right now and she is in Chicago and I'm in Tennessee. I signed up online for a month because I thought it would be fun to to do it together. One week of the freestyle program was enough for me. Too punishing for anything that is not a zero point food. I like the simplicity of CICO .
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am a life time member of WW, I think what people struggle with on the new point system is that it pretty much makes it impossible to eat crap. I've handled this but at first I did struggle. So far on WW I've lost 25kg and I've never been healthy.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I have never been on weight watchers, but i had some family on it years ago. I remember the older point system. This new one kind of perplexed me. I see with the "free" food system pushes people to eat more whole foods, but I could gain loads of weight on point foods.
  • Tisha247
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I have never been on weight watchers, but i had some family on it years ago. I remember the older point system. This new one kind of perplexed me. I see with the "free" food system pushes people to eat more whole foods, but I could gain loads of weight on point foods.

The thing is you could eat 12 eggs a day or 20 chicken breasts but I don't think you would!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    letitia75 wrote: »

The thing is you could eat 12 eggs a day or 20 chicken breasts but I don't think you would!

Ohh... only 12 eggs? Lol I could eat More! 5 grams of fat in a large egg.
  • Tisha247
    Options

Ohh... only 12 eggs? Lol I could eat More! 5 grams of fat in a large egg.

Lol why not add some legumes in there as well. Can you imagine that mix : )
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You_Can_Be wrote: »
    I have been logging on WW for 2 months just to get me to think about what I am eating. I wasn’t losing weight with calorie restriction because I wasn’t being honest about the number of nuts, avocado’s and the amount of olive oil I eat. It initially helped me to lose 12 pounds but I have been stuck for the last month because the number of points they give on top of the “healthy foods” that are 0 points is simply too many. I have been logging on mfp at the same time in order to ensure that I restrict the calories because I found that if i ate as many 0 points foods as I liked I was eating in excess of 1500 calories a day. I have never eaten the weekly points. When I tried to address this with the online coach they weren’t interested and just cut me off when I ask for advice. The things that WW has helped to educate me to change are, in my book spurious to say the last.
    Low fat yoghurt instead of whole
    No kefir it is too high in points
    No steak or pork it takes a whole day’s worth of points
    No nuts - no way Seeds are a no too.
    No avocados in salad
    Low cal chemical spray instead of olive oil
    Sugar free aspartame sweets to raise my mood
    Diet sodas are great to fill you up even though they rot your teeth
    I can eat as much mackerel as I like yum - who cares that it is 250 calories a filet. I like 2 or 3 for breakfast.
    I can gorge on fruit. Yes please a cooking bowl full I can happily manage 2 bananas, half a pineapple, a punnet of strawberries, a punnet, a punnet iof raspberries and a punnet of blueberries in one sitting.
    Eat eggs, lots of eggs. In theory this would be good if that didn’t include having a 4 or even 6 eggs at a time.
    Thou shalt not eat 2 squares of chocolate (not even dark 85%) because if you do you won’t be able to eat a meal that day.
    Buy sugar substitués, poor gut (has anyone tried erythritol) - no dates just 3 of those will cost you half a day’s points

I could go on.... but I don’t think that my skin and hair will cope.

What have you learnt from it?

About the fruit, I have had fruit salads that racked up close to 500 calories. I have eaten half of a watermelon. I gained weight dating my hubby because his favorite meal to cook was grilled chicken breast, grilled shrimp, and corn. All zero points right? But that fruit alone can result in a theoretical 1lb or more gain per week. So just when you and your leader think your doing everything allegedly right, it's not.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I tried it years ago.. thought i'd faint. hated it beyond words.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at the posts. I hit goal and lifetime on Weight Watchers this year and found it not restrictive at all. At this point, I have more goals fitness wise than WW takes into account, but overall, I find their eating plan sustainable over a lifetime. Where I find it a bit of an issue is zero point items can be very high cal if you don't limit yourself to one serving size, so I decided to count calories. I also think WW is a little tough on the good fats. But overall, for most people, I think it's totally do-able and sustainable. I do still go to my weekly meetings and once a month weigh ins.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SagePeach wrote: »
    I am a life time member of WW, I think what people struggle with on the new point system is that it pretty much makes it impossible to eat crap. I've handled this but at first I did struggle. So far on WW I've lost 25kg and I've never been healthy.

But as pp pointed out-how is a bowl of oatmeal 'crap'?

And how are some of the low fat diet youghurts etc I see my WW or SW friends eating not? (Oops - sorry - pet hate showing ;) )
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Zero point foods are designed to be eaten when hungry. The plan is not designed for gorging, only eating until satisfied.

If you enjoy eating nuts/seeds as snacks I’d encourage you to look at the portion recommendations for your calorie range in the DASH diet. (Designed to stop hypertension). I am really enjoying this outlook to plan my meals and use MFP to track calories and keep me accountable. I eat lean pork weekly and small servings of nuts almost daily.