Not a big fan of water.

Options
Hello. :)

I'm having a really hard time getting my water requirement every day. I probably already know the answer to this (sigh), but... while water additives (crystal light, etc) would absolutely help me drink (much) more water every day, are they counter-productive? Does water still count as water if it's flavored?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of different answers to this.

For me, I only count pure water towards my water intake. When you start adding other stuff - you are also adding calories, chemicals and sometimes even sugar. I don't count water in my coffee, tea or protein shakes towards my daily water intake.

Once you start drinking it - it'll be easier and easier. Buy a water filter/purifier for your faucet. Makes the water taste better than bottled water AND it is much better on the environment. :)
  • RickMckc
    RickMckc Posts: 38
    Options
    Pure-Fitness packets are the key for me when it comes to drinking water. I used to NEVER drink water, now regularly drink 96oz per day using 32oz Gatorade bottles. Is it the same as "just water"? My daughter, who is a personal fitness trainer, says yes. I say who cares? It's a heck of a lot better than soda - even sugar free soday. I've also become a fan of hot tea ... two big mugs 2x a day. Good luck!
  • BekJ
    BekJ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I often just add a small squeeze of lemon juice (real not processed)... Gives the water a little kick without adding calories adn additives....
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    it counts... try MIO it is 0 calories, carbs etc. Crystal light and some others are also too but for my taste they tend to be a little to "Sweet"
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    Thanks all! :) Maybe I'll drink plain water, daily, until I can't stand it... then drink my flavored water to make sure I'm getting enough, and slowly wean myself off of it?
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I hate water, I drink powerade zero, it has the extra potassium I need too.
  • danckuntz
    danckuntz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sobe 0 cal Life water is great but about a buck a bottle
  • zoot580
    zoot580 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wish you had posted this earlier, during the heatwave. I usually tell people to get involved in some heavy activity like mowing the lawn. You'd be surprised how good water will taste. Believe it or not, my kids got hooked on water because I removed all of the destructive drinks for about a week, during the summer and they couldn't WAIT until they got home from the park or football field to get a tall glass of ice water.

Try not to think of how it tastes. Consider the "ahhhh" you'll get when you need it.

That being said, don't wait until you're thirsty because that's the first sign of hydration. Once you get used to it, drink it as much as possible, before you get thirsty. It's amazing how it weakens the hunger.

Best of luck and God bless!
  • dasskinny
    Options
    Water is soooo yummyyy i love love love water, well purified water that is, it makes a big difference in taste :-)
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have trouble drinking water also. Except when I'm working out or am really hot. But when I'm at home I often use the crystal light 5 cal packages for most of my meals. It helps out a lot.
  • ffhsanfran
    ffhsanfran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think drinking caffeinated drinks should not count towards your water intake. I account calories for the flavored drinks. With plain water, you can try to make it a little less bland: add few twigs of peppermint, a slice of lemon, orange, or a slice of cucumber. Good luck.
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    I count this towards my water intake because it is the ONLY (I blame the Army because of hydration formations where we were forced to drinkk canteens of water as fast as possible - yuck) way I will drink water however I ensure that I add the crystal light as a snack.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    My weight loss doctor and panel of nutritionists said that Crystal Light is just fine for your water count. If it is too sweet, you can dilute it just adding a bit more water. I hate water....really hate water.
  • childofares
    childofares Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge water fan either but what I do is alternate between a sports bottle (20 0z) of ice cold regular water and 8oz of either flavored or Gatorade. I use this for anything I drink. A Zevia or soda? 20 OZ of water. I have and reuse the sports bottle with the push down top and for some reason, my mind thinks the water tastes better.Whatever works right?

One thing I did at the beginning was I used to toss a piece of sugar free mixed fruit drops hard candy (35 calories for 3!) in my mouth while drinking the plain water. It flavored it like the candy .
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Well, I think if adding Crystal light helps you consume more water .. kt is better than you not drinking the water because you can't stand the taste. Obviously adding lemon or lime juice to it would be a better option, or picking the "Pure Crystal Light" over the traditional. I would count this as part of my "water" intake for MFP purposes.

What I do not count is like tea, coffee, or other beverages where obviously it is water based. The difference for me is that things like coffee, tea, and some beverage mixtures affect the body with the sugar, caffeine, and/or can actually pull moisture from the body and dehydrate you. So, I feel that drinking pure water helps to wash out some of these things better.

I also do not count sports drinks as apart of my daily water intake .. drinks like Powerade.
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    Thanks again everybody. :)

The only time I don't have a problem drinking water is during my workouts. When I was drinking soda, I could house a can of it just because I liked the taste. When I'm not thirsty, I can't drink water like that.

You've all given me some great tips on how to make my water more tolerable. Add me and maybe I can return the favor someday. :D
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started by drinking just a little at a time throughout the whole day. It was much easier for me to drink 4 oz at a time because that's basically just a few swallows instead of staring down a large glass or water bottle. Now I find I I don't mind it and sometimes even prefer it.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Just drink it eventually your tastebuds change for it and you crave it even. You just have to keep drinking it. Try fresh squeeze limes/lemons though. Soak the water in the fridge with a lime and lemon each cut into it. Cucumbers will also add a nice refreshing natural flavor.

I cut out caffeine first by switching to sprite(the clear ones help) and then try carbonated water then slowly go to more fresh natural water. If you have Albertsons they have Cascade Ice brand flavored water its got artificial flavorings but is carbonated and flavored its a good way to work towards drinking only water.

I agree with smaller amounts or sipping at it. And remember if you feel thirsty you are already dehydrating. ;)
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    don't fret over that. I don't worry about it I figured your food already contains water so some of the eight glasses is in that and if you're drinking other liquids like friut jiuce gatorade water is in that too so I end up drinking maybe 2-3 actual glasses of water and it works. I don't think I'm dehydrated or thirsty.
  • jess_austin
    Options
    At the end of the day you need to be getting at least 2 litres of water into your system, more if you are doing a lot of exercise. I recommend low calorie squash, i know you may not want the extra calories but if you think about it its better than drinking no water at all because this will just hamper you weight loss. Also, diet carbonated drinks are another great way to top up your water intake but its important not to rely on these.

It may be helpful for you to buy a large tumbler (i have a 750 ml mcdonalds cup i got in the USA) which you can fill a normal amount of squash into as this means you would be getting less calories as you would only need to fill up this flask 3 times during the day to get your calorie intake rather than filling up 8 glasses of squash!!

Good luck in your weightloss attempt