low iron and energy

Options
Anyone have an issue with low iron? And if so, how do you handle it and are there certain foods that give you a boost of energy? I have been lacking it in my diet..

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you going by logging your food here, or did you have bloodwork that showed low iron?

Many entries in the database are incomplete, so you shouldn't diagnose yourself with a deficiency just based on that. If you're concerned, schedule a physical.

I know the stereotypical iron rich foods are red meat, spinach, and shellfish.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I did while I was pregnant with my daughter. A daily multivitamin with iron and a slight increase in dark greens and beef fixed it.
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Beef is the only thing that fixes mine fast. Once my levels are good I can get by with eating it once or twice a week as long as I have other sources of iron the other days.

I've tried only plant based foods and had issues.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Top sources of iron:
    https://myfooddata.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php

whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=70

I love beef, oysters, spinach, and cocoa; not necessarily all together though.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I take an iron pill daily and eat more fortified foods (cereals, crackers, dark chocolate).

If you think you have low iron, get a blood test from your doctor to be sure.
  • eve2018eve
    eve2018eve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of greens and take a multivitamin and an iron supplement. I regularly have nori or miso soup with nori as they're high in iron.

I'm mindful of my iron intake as I've been found to have low levels in the past.

It's best to get tested if you have any concerns about low iron levels. It's better to know for certain either way.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get all your requirement of iron just from a normal balanced diet. You would need around 700g a day of spinach to get 100% of recommended requirement of iron so the amount I eat in a salad is about 8%. I eat fortified cereals, green vegetables and other foods rich in iron as much as I can (don't eat meat) but end up having to take an iron tablet to make sure I get enough as I can get anaemic around my period with heavy bleeding. If you do take an iron tablet make sure it's not with caffeine or calcium though as that stops absorption of iron.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Beans of various kinda have pretty healthy amounts of iron. Remember to pair non-heme iron with vitamin c to increase absorption. I'd especially not recommend raw spinach as a source of iron due to the oxalate content but it's fine if cooked.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Beans of various kinda have pretty healthy amounts of iron. Remember to pair non-heme iron with vitamin c to increase absorption. I'd especially not recommend raw spinach as a source of iron due to the oxalate content but it's fine if cooked.

Your body can produce oxalate on its own or obtain it from food. Vitamin C can also be converted into oxalate when it's metabolized. Once consumed, oxalate can bind to minerals to form compounds, including calcium oxalate and iron oxalate. This mostly occurs in the colon, but can also take place in the kidneys and other parts of the urinary tract.

For most people, these compounds are then eliminated in the stool or urine so cause no problems.

I think the benefits of spinach are worth it for me anyway.
  • cainthalia
    cainthalia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Are you going by logging your food here, or did you have bloodwork that showed low iron?

Many entries in the database are incomplete, so you shouldn't diagnose yourself with a deficiency just based on that. If you're concerned, schedule a physical.

I went by both so I think its pretty low. Unfortunately.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cainthalia wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

I went by both so I think its pretty low. Unfortunately.

Was your doctor concerned or give you any direction?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Anyone have an issue with low iron? And if so, how do you handle it and are there certain foods that give you a boost of energy? I have been lacking it in my diet..

When my anemia isn't properly treated I have crippling fatigue.

I can't get enough iron from my diet alone. To stay in Low Normal, I eat 100% of the RDA, plus I supplement with 278%. So almost 400% to stay in Low Normal. Plus more when I'm menstruating, including Wellshire Liverwurst; 2 oz = 35% RDA iron.

It's really important that I get my iron levels tested at least yearly, and more often if my levels fall into Anemic and am working to get them back up.

Also, there are many forms of iron and the first few I tried did nothing to get my energy levels up. I am currently taking iron bisglycinate. This doesn't give me the constipation or upset stomach side effects that other forms of iron can cause.

Furthermore, too much iron can also cause problems, so I strongly encourage you to not follow my regimen but to work with your doctor to find your own.
  • Trynyta
    Trynyta Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    What I'm about to say is very empirical, so take this with a grain of salt

I noticed that stopping drinking tea after my meals, and being able to stick to my regular diet (loads of lentils and dark green veggies) helped me overcome my little decrease in iron level (as I've been giving my blood for 4 years, it gives me a good insight of the variations).
  • cainthalia
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I can't get enough iron from my diet alone. To stay in Low Normal, I eat 100% of the RDA, plus I supplement with 278%. So almost 400% to stay in Low Normal. Plus more when I'm menstruating, including Wellshire Liverwurst; 2 oz = 35% RDA iron.

It's really important that I get my iron levels tested at least yearly, and more often if my levels fall into Anemic and am working to get them back up.

Also, there are many forms of iron and the first few I tried did nothing to get my energy levels up. I am currently taking iron bisglycinate. This doesn't give me the constipation or upset stomach side effects that other forms of iron can cause.

Furthermore, too much iron can also cause problems, so I strongly encourage you to not follow my regimen but to work with your doctor to find your own.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

thanks so much very helpful!!!
  • cainthalia
    Options
    Trynyta wrote: »
    What I'm about to say is very empirical, so take this with a grain of salt

I noticed that stopping drinking tea after my meals, and being able to stick to my regular diet (loads of lentils and dark green veggies) helped me overcome my little decrease in iron level (as I've been giving my blood for 4 years, it gives me a good insight of the variations).

thank you!!! and lentils... good one I forgot about them
  • cainthalia
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

Yea that is definitely a good one. Thank you! and yea im gonna try and get my vitamin C in too!!
  • cainthalia
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    It's hard to get all your requirement of iron just from a normal balanced diet. You would need around 700g a day of spinach to get 100% of recommended requirement of iron so the amount I eat in a salad is about 8%. I eat fortified cereals, green vegetables and other foods rich in iron as much as I can (don't eat meat) but end up having to take an iron tablet to make sure I get enough as I can get anaemic around my period with heavy bleeding. If you do take an iron tablet make sure it's not with caffeine or calcium though as that stops absorption of iron.
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Wow i didnt realize that! thank you

• cainthalia
    Options
    Top sources of iron:
    https://myfooddata.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php

whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=70

I love beef, oysters, spinach, and cocoa; not necessarily all together though.

Thanks for the link!!! and that all sounds good

• cainthalia
    Options
    eve2018eve wrote: »
    I eat plenty of greens and take a multivitamin and an iron supplement. I regularly have nori or miso soup with nori as they're high in iron.

I'm mindful of my iron intake as I've been found to have low levels in the past.

It's best to get tested if you have any concerns about low iron levels. It's better to know for certain either way.

Thank you !!! acutally very helpful. I did not realize that miso soup was so high in iron. I wnjoy it very much. !

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Have you had bloodwork that showed you are actually deficient? There are many other vitamin deficiencies that can lead to low energy. If you haven't already done a vitamin/mineral panel, I would highly suggest that, then you can supplement with what you actually need. Any vitamin or mineral supplementation regimen should only be on a temporary basis until your levels are restored to normal.

As for ways to increase your Iron intake, you've gotten a lot of great suggestions here. I would also add to start cooking in a cast iron pan. I was iron deficient for years on and off and supplementing with Iron when needed. Ever since I started cooking almost exclusively with cast iron, my levels have stayed consistent w/o the need to supplement. It might be woo, but it has worked for me.