Newbie here - lots of questions - macros, fat, and subtracting exercise calories. Help!

Options
I've been tracking calories for a month. I lowered the target twice bc I think MFP is way off. Sigh. Now, what the heck do I do with macros? More protein less carbs and fat? Keto? (Seems bad) And also my fats generally go over but never saturated. It's mostly "healthy" fats. Is that a problem? I'm a perfectionist and this is killing me to get it right so I can start to lose weight! And should I subtract exercise or opt out? Thanks for any and all help!

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    What makes you think the MFP number is way off? You've only been tracking for a month, but it sounds like you haven't given yourself enough time to see if the number MFP gave you was good or not. You need at least 4-6 weeks to be sure. Macros are personal preference, start with what MFP set and see what it does in terms of staying satiated. Exercise calories, aim to eat at least a portion of them if they're significant. Again give yourself 4-6 weeks to see if it's helping or hindering, and if it's hindering scale back how much of your exercise calories you're eating back.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Also don't aim for an aggressive deficit. If you restrict your calorie intake too much you can lose an increased level of muscle on top of the fat which will leave you less satisfied with your end results. It can also lead to hair loss and brittle nails, while making you more prone to binging. Unless you have a lot of weight to lose then anywhere between 1/2 pound and 1 pound a week is ideal.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Macros don't directly affect weight loss. They do affect satiety though, so you can start with the MFP default goals. Make a note of days you struggle to hit your calorie goal and days you find it easy and start to notice if there is a pattern on those days with your macros and tweak from there. But don't sweat not getting your macros "right" every day, it's just a guide.

How much weight do you have to lose, and how much weight did you lose in your first month?
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What is your height, current weight, and the number of calories you settled on? :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking calories for a month. I lowered the target twice bc I think MFP is way off. Sigh. Now, what the heck do I do with macros? More protein less carbs and fat? Keto? (Seems bad) And also my fats generally go over but never saturated. It's mostly "healthy" fats. Is that a problem? I'm a perfectionist and this is killing me to get it right so I can start to lose weight! And should I subtract exercise or opt out? Thanks for any and all help!

Why do you think you can't use MFPs calories and macros?
  • johitabgr
    johitabgr Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Hey. Welcome to this fitness journey.
    I personally dont like keto diet as u need carb as a fuel. Carbs and fat have to go in different directions because both will give u energy. So low carb high fat or viceversa.
    I will recommend carb in breakfast and lunch and after work out. Rest just protein and veggies !!
    Exercise is always a must. At least 3 times a week
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Start by reading the sticky threads pinned to the top of the various forums.
  • HealthyRebirth
    HealthyRebirth Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Well, I thought I posted a reply...very long actually, but it vanished. So, I'll keep it short this time. Thank you all so very much!!! Really appreciate the insightful mental health coaching and more number/science specific info too. I'd love to add more friends on here; please do so if desired. Many thanks!