Macros??

Options
Hi guys I've posted here cause I think you are the best guys to know about cutting. I'm 5'2 and was 9stone 4 I'm not 8stone 2. But my body fat is still high at 31% my muscle has dropped half a lb which I don't think is too bad. My work includes sitting at a desk for hours on end I then do a brisk walk with the dog for 2miles an evening at a 4mile an hour pace and weight train 3 times a week (if and where I have time) I consume 1400 calories I've tried going lower but I suffer with migraines any lower and this kicks them off. My usual macros are 35protein 30fat 35carbs. Can someone please advise if I would change my macros to help with my cut? I'm stalling at the 31% I can add pictures if someone can tell me how to lol. I have a lot of fat for such a small person. Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost and in how much time? How are you determining your bf% and muscle loss?

Your macros are fine, and somewhat irrelevant - how accurate is your logging?
  • lauraslow7
    lauraslow7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh absolutely everything and double check against the packaging. I eat the same foods over and over agai to be honest. I've lost 16lb in weight in 4 months. I've checked my fat on the scales and my friend who is a personal trainer checked it by just looking at me and then used calipers scales 31%, her looking at me 30%, and calipers 31% I've dropped from 39% in 4month lost 6inch off my waist
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    At your weight, I doubt your fat% is 31. How has it been measured?

Macros don't help with cut. Eating fewer calories, for real, consistently, and for a long time, makes you lose weight. A not too aggressive calorie deficit, and sufficient nutrition, leads to losing mostly fat. A diet you enjoy, is easiest to stick to. Successful weightloss and fitness is about making it as easy/fun as possible for yourself. Making things difficult will increase failure rate, but not give you a higher score.
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    I study nutrition and health so I'd say my nutrition on a whole is good but I do not study sports nutrition and think that's what I need here as I don't want to lose muscle but do need to lose a lot more fat
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    My fat is high, can you post pictures on here.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i second the question, how are you measuring your bodyfat?

when you say you strength train 3 times a week, when you have time, how often has it been in the last 4 weeks?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    lauraslow7 wrote: »
    I study nutrition and health so I'd say my nutrition on a whole is good but I do not study sports nutrition and think that's what I need here as I don't want to lose muscle but do need to lose a lot more fat

To not lose muscle you need to eat sufficient protein (you are) and do resistance training.

All weight loss will come with both fat and muscle loss. You have lost 1lb a week - what is unreasonable about that? You have also lost 15.5lbs of fat and 0.5lbs of muscle according to your numbers. Considering the inaccuracies in measuring that probably isn't out of the ordinary...
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    Thanks I think when someone else writes it down for you it sounds better. I'm eating about 1.2g of protein per lb of body weight
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    All details are above about measuring body fat. In the last 4 weeks I've trained 15 times at strength and making progrees
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    All details are above about measuring body fat. In the last 4 weeks I've trained 15 times at strength and making progrees

sounds like you just need to be more patient and keep doing what you're doing. drop your deficit to 0.5lb per week and keep lifting.
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    Thank you. Yes I do need to be more patient. I've just stumbled for a few weeks at 31% nothing is moving. So was looking for further advice.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All details are above about measuring body fat.
    I'm sorry I didn't catch that. But I would ask myself if your friend the personal trainer could have anything at all to gain from you thinking that your body fat percent is around 30.
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    No she doesn't, she works at the college that I currently study at. She knows I can't afford a PT and has never pushed her work on me. If I could add pictures on this post you would see that I am very fatty on my bottom half, hips, bum and thighs
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No she doesn't, she works at the college that I currently study at. She knows I can't afford a PT and has never pushed her work on me. If I could add pictures on this post you would see that I am very fatty on my bottom half, hips, bum and thighs

In addition to the above advice, if you are getting adequate protein, progressive training and not losing too fast, that will help retain muscle as you lose. You say you are making progress. I would try not to focus so much on the bodyfat number itself, but use the mirror, photos and measurements be your guide.

I will say if you start to lean down more and still have higher bodyfat, it could be you don't have adequate muscle base to support being leaner and at some point looking into recomp (eating and maintenance and building muscle and losing fat over time) might be a good option for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    My fat is high, can you post pictures on here.

Yes. On desktop you can use the Attach File or Attach Image icons to post a picture. Not sure what the options are for mobile.