I ran my first 50 km run! (31 miles)

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
My First 50 Km Run – Sunday 10 June 2018 - Recap

I ran my first marathon in August, and once I'd recovered, in December I decided this was my next *thing*, and I’ve been training for my 50 for 6 months. I have a spreadsheet I’d made with a Strava Premium McMillan marathon training plan in it, and the 50 km Ultramarathon training plan from the book, “Relentless Forward Progress”, and after keeping my 30 km runs up for a few months, I basically followed the distance of the training plan long runs each week, while running 4-5 times a week guided by what my body could cope with. Every day I would enter what I’d done, and tweak what I would plan to do.

I’d first thought I’d do the Canberra Marathon Festival 50 km event in April, but travel and accommodation were going to be too expensive, plus, events are stressful, so I decided I’d keep it simple: If I want to do 50 km, do 50 km. I don’t need to pay to run – just do it around home.

I chose this weekend, the long weekend in June, since I’d have more days to choose from if the weather was bad, plus I could have time for recovery. Sunday was perfect. 5-15 Celsius (41-59F).

1-10 km (1-6 miles)
My usual morning run in the dark route. I saw W and N who both knew what I was up to, and wished me luck. DK tooted her horn at me.

I made sure throughout the run to only run at a pace that let me breathe easy. Early on, I had to keep slowing down, because I knew I’d need that energy later.

10-25 km (6-15.5 miles)
Uphill to the next town, then back down again. Saw G, which was nice. The fog was beautiful in the dawn sunlight.

25-40 km (15.5 – 25 miles)
More hills. C pulled up next to me at 30 km, and I was happy to report I was feeling alright. I did start getting slower gradually from there. Around 38 km my left lower back was starting to hurt and I could tell I was tensing up. It helped if I stretched my arms up and out.

Fuel: I ate yoghurt and a big muesli bar before I set out, and on the run I had 2 other cereal bars, a cinnamon donut, and 2 energy gels with caffeine.

Loo stops were at 9, 18, 25, and 39 km. Didn’t “need” them all, but I’d planned the route to go near the loos in case I did need them, and then I used them so I was comfortable the whole time.

40-50 km (25-31 miles)
Mostly flat. My body was running alright, if slowly, but it was starting to complain in places. Had arranged for F to run with me for the last section. We chatted, and it helped distract me from the sore back. It was nice to have someone with me when I passed the 42.2 km marathon mark, and enter into the “uncharted waters of Ultra territory”, as F put it. Then it was a painfully slow countdown jog to the finish. I’d called my husband to meet me, and little did I know, my dear friend DB had arranged to be there too, with BB, AB, and G, and bunches of balloons. My own personal finish line and cheer squad!

Too long; didn’t read?: Ran 50 km! Achieved my 2018 goal! Ran all the way, which was the cherry on top! Did it in 6 hours as I’d hoped! I have awesome friends.

Fun Stats:
My 40th run of 20 km or over.
12 month streak of running a HM or more per month.

Totally ecstatic and sorry not sorry for the brag. :smiley:

Just thought some other runners might be interested in reading a 50 km run recap.

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I'm guessing you are somewhere in NZ? (that's where I am). What an achievement congratulations.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Great stuff, well done
  • Orphia
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Amazing! I'm guessing you are somewhere in NZ? (that's where I am). What an achievement congratulations.

I'm in Australia, but close! Thank you!
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Well done!!!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Love the recap!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well done. Welcome to the club.

50K is my favourite distance.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine...

very impressive.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just wow! What a fantastic achievement. So what's next on your agenda?
  • Wiedzma_Agata
    Wiedzma_Agata Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Well done!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, @Orphia! You continue to inspire us all!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an amazing accomplishment! So great that your friends showed up to celebrate you too!
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Amazing run.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Girl,
    I read the whole thing with my mouth open.
    You are such an inspiration !!!
    Brag all the F you want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fanfriggentastic !!!!!!!!!!!!

:heart:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @Orphia What an excellent report and awesome *kitten*-kicking that course! Congrats on your fantastic accomplishment!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    wohoo!!
  • Orphia
    Options
    Wow, you're all so kind!! Thanks for being a part of my happiness.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Well done. Welcome to the club.

50K is my favourite distance.

@MeanderingMammal Really?!! What app can I stalk you on? :smiley:
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member