ALL MY LADIES! What are your daily calorie goals?

Options
How many calories do you all eat in a day and how much are you losing per week? I’m trying to figure out a good amount of calories to consume so that I lose weight without feeling deprived. 1200 is just too low for me so I was thinking of going up to 1500? I will workout about an hour a day but I don’t log those into my diary. I want to loose around 2 lbs a week....thoughts? Also add me if you want a friend! I’ve got about 45 pounds to lose and having friends would help a ton!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    MFP will tell you how many calories you need to lose weight at the rate you've chosen.

2lbs per week requires a calorie deficit of 1000 calories, as you say this can leave you feeling deprived, so it might be better in the long run to aim for 1lb per week (500 calorie deficit). Whatever rate you choose, it has to be sustainable because you also need to plan for maintenance and keep it off.

Asking other people what they lose on, probably isn't very helpful for your own purposes, as we're all different shapes, sizes and activity levels. For example, some of my friend list are short, slim and sedentary and would maintain on just over 1400 calories, whereas I maintain on close to 2500 net (Actual intake on a really active day can be around 3000 calories to lose 1lb per week) because I am tall, heavy and very active.

Understanding how the calorie allowance is calculated can help you better understand how weight loss works, this infographic may help:

yo6m9vasqsdd.jpg
  • AveriaKyle
    AveriaKyle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    2200 cals
    25yr old female
    162cm 57.4kg.
    Not including exercise calories.
  • Enchanta
    Enchanta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1200 a day at the moment and it's hard going. I've got about 33 pounds to lose (15kg) to get to my target weight and I'm hoping to lose about 2 pounds a week. I do Gillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred every other day and get a fast walk in on the off days. I'm a part time teacher so I didn't really know what to put for lifestyle - active when I am teaching, sedentary when I'm off because I'm sat planning for most of it! I'll happily be your fitness friend but I don't really know how it works as I'm new to this!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I’m short, older, and working on the last 10-15 pounds. I net 1250, but with my activity and exercise I eat around 1400 a day. I’m set to lose 1/2 pound a week and am doing that easily.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Under 1400 (I'm usually right at 1350-1390) and I don't eat back workout calories. I'm 44, very active, and at goal weight but still trying to shave off a few more pounds. I could eat more calories and still lose when I was younger and heavier.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to lose 1.5lbs a week and its given me 1200 calories. I usually have between 1100-1300 calories on a daily basis.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    56yo menopausal female 5'4"
    currently weigh 195 lbs, goal weight 148
    walk, hike, or cycle daily for exercise
    1400cals/day
    I don't eat back my exercise calories and am losing 8-10lbs/month.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1,200 and 1,400 depending on the day and what I decide to eat. I'm typically pretty active, but don't eat back any calories burned (unless I decide to splurge and have a few drinks or something) I keep my carb total below my protein total, try to eat at least 25 g of protein per meal, never eat a carb without a protein and keep my sodium below 2300. On most weeks I average -2 pounds as long as I keep everything consistent, but I'm heavier so weight comes off quicker.
  • SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 years old, in maintenance with a bmi of 21.8, and MFP sets me at around 1,800 calories a day.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    40something, 150 lbs, 5'9", trying to lose the stubborn belly fat...ugh

Strength training days I eat 1900 cal (3x/week), other days I eat 1200 cal (4x/week).
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 29, 5'4", and currently weigh 160. My net is set for 1300 cal/day for sedentary (I work a desk job) for 1lb/week weight loss. I do eat back some of my exercise calories. Currently for exercise I am running 3x a week and doing crossfit 3-4x a week. On days that I work out, my total calories are 1500-1800. My first goal is to get to 155, at which point I will reassess my calorie and pounds per week goal. My ultimate goal is 145, at which point I will see how I feel if I want to maintain at that or keep going.

MFP will not set your goal to lower than 1200, so it is likely that even at 1200 cal/day, you still wouldn't lose 2 lbs per week. I would recommend going a little higher in the calories. If you feel like you are restricting yourself too much, you are more likely to binge later, which depending on how bad it is, could undo all your hard work. Just my thoughts!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    34, 140lbs, 5'7. Strength 4x per week, cardio 2x per week. About 2400cals average losing around 0.5lb give or take per week.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    47 years young, 5’6, 155 lbs. 1,550/cal day and walking 30 min. 4-5x/week to lose .5-1 lb/week
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am a 35 year old female. I am 5'0" and 135 lbs. My starting highest weight was 145 lbs. My goal is 115-120 lbs. I have set my calories at 1400.

On sedentary days, that is supposed to be 1/2 lb a week weight loss. On more active days it calculates out to 1 lb a week. I have a mix of different activity levels throughout the week. I have been losing an average of 1 lb a week.

I do eat back the extra calories that my Fitbit gives me sometimes. I havent logged exercise but when I'm more active then fitbit gives me extra.

On special occasions or social events I eat at maintenance level of 1750 calories.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    34, 140lbs, 5'7. Strength 4x per week, cardio 2x per week. About 2400cals average losing around 0.5lb give or take per week.

I find this insane! How you are losing instead of gaining on that high amount of calories just baffles me, but honestly kudos to you that's awesome. When I go above 2000 calories I start to gain...and according to online calculators my maintenance is going to be around 1600-1700 calories when I reach my goal weight of 135lbs (I'm 5'4" ).

I wish it would be higher but I do plan on starting a lifting routine when I reach my goal. Doubt it will help much considering it's difficult to put on a decent amount of muscle mass for women.
  • tremmax
    tremmax Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 5’2” and weigh 141lbs. MFP has me at 1220 cals to lose 1lb a week. I have it set to light active and record my exercise seperately through my garmin and I try to eat back most of my calories from exercise. I can’t eat much lower than this without feeling really tired. Been at a weight loss stall for 3 weeks now which is very frustrating and demotivating. Just keeping going though!