Strength exercises on a budget!

FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Howdy!
I'm looking to start doing a little strength training, but I'm on a budget and don't have a gym membership. Do you have any good ideas for homemade exercise equipment and exercises?
Thanks!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Google "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Convict Conditioning", for starters. There are also a few others listed/linked in the beginning of this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Used canned goods for weights
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have a set of adjustable dumbbells - 20kg (just under 40lb) that cost me 70nzd (would be about 40usd). They are enough for almost all strength exercise. Have a look at Kmart/wall mart/target. Someone is bound to have them
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited June 2018
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »
    Used canned goods for weights

Or plastic quart, half gallon, gallon and/or 5 gallon containers filled w/sand or water in lieu of weights. Sand is,cheap and better than water because it doesn't slosh around like water does. You can also vary the amount of sand/water used in the larger containers to vary the weight.

If you're using a 5 gal bucket, for example, you can use sand filled quart or gallon zip lock bags (sealed w/tape to help avoid spills) to fill the bucket w/the desired weight. Great for doing Farmer walk carries or squats standing on a plyo box or something similar.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Yes - bodyweight - the great advantage that overweight people have over slim people: we're a walking set of dumbells. If you can plank, side plank, do climbers, burpees, press ups, leg raises, triceps curls etc every day you soon tone up.

A good kettlebell from Amazon doesn't break the bank either and you can use it to follow Youtube fitness videos.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Look up "Body weight workout" on YouTube. There are 100's of workouts you can do that require no equipment, not even a kettlebell or dumbbells.
  • ArmyMedic23PFA
    ArmyMedic23PFA Posts: 726 Member
    I got some deals on wowcher, facebook market place
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Body weight workouts. Simple push-ups, squats, planks will go a long way to start. Using an app on your phone, like Daily Workout Apps, will help you with timing and variety. You can get some simple dumbbells pretty much anywhere but resistance bands and a jump rope are cheap too.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2018
    cherys wrote: »
    Yes - bodyweight - the great advantage that overweight people have over slim people: we're a walking set of dumbells. If you can plank, side plank, do climbers, burpees, press ups, leg raises, triceps curls etc every day you soon tone up.

A good kettlebell from Amazon doesn't break the bank either and you can use it to follow Youtube fitness videos.

I'd check your local craigslist and keep an eye on it between now and mid july. Between mid July and late august the swimsuit weightloss crowd starts getting rid of their fitness equipment. Look to pay between .75 and 1.25 per lb for kettlebells. If you see them for less, and can afford to scoop them up, you can try flipping them around the first week of January or last week of april for 1.50 or so a lb.

Skip youtube though and Get Pavel's book and Sara Lurie's DVD.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Google "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Convict Conditioning", for starters. There are also a few others listed/linked in the beginning of this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Good advice here!!