Home gym vs. public gym

Options
13»

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I do both home & gym (much more gym heavy though - especially for weights, more cardio/LISS @ home though). Honestly feel more motivated going to the gym but only @ certain times of day...same people, same creatures of habit...for camaraderie. Seeing others (whether in shape or not...working out is motivating/inspiring). Even if I don't speak a word to someone during a workout, it's nice knowing there are others with the same training mentality (get in, get out) as myself - just the minimal chit chat - working in, how many sets left?, etc. I'm not an outgoing person; to me, this counts as social activity/working out with others - feeling like I belong

I think the Hawthorn effect/having observers watch you (imagining you are being graded by others in a "white lab coats" also increases one's performance (placebo like effect). Results overall better with gym workouts likely due to this effect...also learning/observing others over the years & concentrating more on form/techniques

I will say, privacy of doing cardio @ home & sweating like a nasty pig is better for compliance with cardio...just awkward & a bit embarrassing @ the gym having people see someone relatively fit sweating heavily from relatively low intensity brisk walking (medical condition related).

Equipment is what you make of it (tools)...home sometimes requires a bit of investment & ingenuity/creativity
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I made no results at home because it was too easy to get comfortable relaxing and doing housework.
    I feel more motivated being surrounded by fellow bodybuilders, and not to mention WAY better equipment.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    No home gym for me; I never found enough motivation working out at home; therefore, no good results. The house is not put together or decorated to allow gym equipment, the garage is for the cars, and I have no basement. But even if I did have a garage or a basement with space for the equipment, I wouldn't set up a home gym. Too many distractions.

I live in a gated community with two reasonable well equipped gyms, and that gives me the opportunity to workout and get out of the house and have some "me" time. The use of the gyms is included in the HOA, so no additional charges except for fitness classes, and the fees for these classes are very reasonable. I like to go at the gym, it gets more motivated, I work out with more intensity, I get better results and I see familiar faces.

Even before I moved to this community I was working out at public gyms, including Gold's Gym. I like it that way. I used to do JM's DVDs workouts at home but I didn't last too long. I like to have people around and they don't distract me.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I do both. I keep weights, a mat, and simple exercise tools at home for a quick work out on days that I can't make the gym because I am too busy. I can do a pretty straightforward workout using body weight exercises and free weights, and then stretch and do yoga. On "non gym" days, I walk in my neighborhood, swim, or ride the exercise bike we keep in the bonus room (least favorite option, but great for snowy or rainy days). I have an inexpensive gym membership which gives me access to free weights, fitness machines, and some fitness classes including yoga, weight training, zumba, and group cycling. I go there 4 to 5 times per week. I like being able to mix things up and enjoy the support of "gym friends" who cheer each other on.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I love the concept of a home gym. I have made areas in different parts of my places "gym-ish". I am no longer married so the kids and the honey-do list are no longer potential obstacles (not suggesting that the kids are an obstacle at all.....my boys are never obstacles in the least) but I like the sounds in the gym.

I have memberships to PF and to Workout Anytime. I just re-joined PF (yeah! yeah! yeah! I know....I know...but know what, y'all? I really enjoy the group of people at the Reynolda PF....since I returned about three weeks ago I have run into about 15 people that I have not seen in one year and it was really nice catching up with them....anyway).

I like the sounds of the gym (to repeat myself.....because my colleagues tell me all the time that is what 51yo dudes do......27x over!). I am sure that sounds kinda weird. But I like the sound of clank this and clank that. And the occasional "EEERRRRRRR!" (which is sometimes me).

I do not really talk to anyone at the gym (well, with "anyone" being defined as "female" in this context) except that core group at PF. I go to the gym with a pretty clear idea of what is on the agenda for the day! Chit-chat is not really ever on the agenda. Maybe between sets when I am training with the fellas (a couple of *HUGE* dudes who, for some reason, like to give me s**t all the time! I really think that they just like my "really, dude, I will f'ing kill you!" replies! I challenge them to arm wrestles and they decline.....big teddy bears they must be.....I still like my chances at winning!).

You miss out on that when you are in the home gym. Give and take.....both ideas have advantages over the other, and disadvantages for sure over the other.

I guess my bottom line is this: whatever gets you under the bar (whatever that might mean) is the 'best gym' for you. And, we are all so very different. And thank the good Lord above for that!!!!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I've had great results working out from my home gym and I'm very happy with my transformation/progress. I work well on my own, very disciplined and don't need others for motivation so I stay focused. Other people tend to distract me and/or get in my way.

I do take fitness classes in a studio setting from time to time to mix things up (pole fitness, barre, trampoline fitness, aerial yoga, Body Pump etc.) but all of my strength training and cardio is done at home/outside with no gym membership.

When I tried to get fit in the past I would sign up for gym memberships, go hard for a couple months and slowly stop going for different reasons.

With my home gym there's no excuses. I have my own setup with the things I only use, it's convenient, a time-saver and I can blast my own music. :) I'm always upgrading and buying new things so having a home gym isn't a money saver for me.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been training in my own home gym for the past 10 years. Before that it was 10 years @ Planet Fitness which was OK. Would've been better if it were closer to my house but it's a half hour drive each way. Personally prefer the home gym over public.

Fortunate enough to have a 24X24+ gym above my garage that I recently upgraded. Keep myself plenty motivated to use it 4-5 days per week. Play the music I like or listen to cable news.

I have commercial everything so no trade off in equipment quality. Have a lot of Rogue stuff (Monster rack, lat machine, bars/plates GHD, plus custom functional trainer, smith machine, power squat machine, DL platform, dumbbells from 5-80lb, landmines, etc.

Love working out in there. Couldn't fathom going back to a public gym.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I've had great results working out from my home gym and very happy with my transformation/progress. I work well on my own, very disciplined and don't need others for motivation so I stay focused. Other people tend to distract me and/or get in my way.

I do take fitness classes in a studio setting from time to time (pole fitness, barre, trampoline fitness, Body Pump etc.) but all of my strength training and cardio has been done at home/outside with no gym membership.

When I tried to get fit in the past I would sign up for gym memberships, go hard for a couple months and slowly stop going for different silly reasons.

With my home gym there's no excuses. I have my own setup with the things I only use, it's convenient and is a time-saver and I can blast my own music. I'm always upgrading and buying new things so I don't see having a home as a money saver for me.

Don't you just love the pole classes? I have done a few and they are a total blast. I am pretty athletic and pretty strong but I totally sucked!!! But it was a ton of fun. Will def do more in the future.

And for those of you who have never (and maybe are in the "never have I ever" group...) just think about it. Better yet...dont think: go do it! It really is fun!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've had great results working out from my home gym and very happy with my transformation/progress. I work well on my own, very disciplined and don't need others for motivation so I stay focused. Other people tend to distract me and/or get in my way.

I do take fitness classes in a studio setting from time to time (pole fitness, barre, trampoline fitness, Body Pump etc.) but all of my strength training and cardio has been done at home/outside with no gym membership.

When I tried to get fit in the past I would sign up for gym memberships, go hard for a couple months and slowly stop going for different silly reasons.

With my home gym there's no excuses. I have my own setup with the things I only use, it's convenient and is a time-saver and I can blast my own music. I'm always upgrading and buying new things so I don't see having a home as a money saver for me.

Don't you just love the pole classes? I have done a few and they are a total blast. I am pretty athletic and pretty strong but I totally sucked!!! But it was a ton of fun. Will def do more in the future.

And for those of you who have never (and maybe are in the "never have I ever" group...) just think about it. Better yet...dont think: go do it! It really is fun!

Yes! Those classes are awesome! I work so many muscles in my body! There's no need to feel intimidated either. The classes I've been to you can go at your own pace and rhythm, they are fun and quite a workout!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I have a power rack, adjustable bench, olympic bar and plates, EZ curl bar, dumbbells, and am buying a cable attachment for the rack. Mine is in a spare room, and the space is tight, but I make do. Our basement only has 6' ceilings and we don't have a garage.

But, I used to lift at a public gym and went after my daughter went to bed. I was often rushed to get out of there at a decent time or before they closed. I couldn't go in the morning because my hubby left for work too early and I had to be home to get the little one ready for daycare/school. Now, I can sleep in sweats, roll out of bed and start lifting. Or, start after dinner and still put her to bed (though sometimes sweaty).

As an added bonus, as the mom of a daughter now getting close to her tween years, I like that she can see me lift at home. Sometimes she wants to come in and try it out, so I'll let her try the EZ curl bar or dumbbells, and she hangs from the pull up bar. She has started telling me about doing chin ups on the monkey bars at school. I want her to see a woman focus on getting stronger, not just skinnier. I'm sure she will hear enough about dieting and getting skinny at school. At home I want her to hear about nutrition and fitness.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, I don't work out as well in my home gym.

At home I have a full power rack, dumb bells up to 80, and enough oly weights to go up to 400, plus a pully system and an adjustable bench with some leg attachments.

I just... don't seem to get as much of a pump at home. I almost ALWAYS get a better workout at the other gyms I go to. I'm not sure why this. Part of it is distraction. Part of it is comfort. Part of it is not wanting to go crazy and damage anything. Part of it might also just be air flow or decor.

So, I still workout at a bunch of different places including home, but definitely prefer the other places.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    I work out at home. I have a power rack, adjustable bench, olympic bar and plates, EZ curl bar, dumbbells, and am buying a cable attachment for the rack. Mine is in a spare room, and the space is tight, but I make do. Our basement only has 6' ceilings and we don't have a garage.

But, I used to lift at a public gym and went after my daughter went to bed. I was often rushed to get out of there at a decent time or before they closed. I couldn't go in the morning because my hubby left for work too early and I had to be home to get the little one ready for daycare/school. Now, I can sleep in sweats, roll out of bed and start lifting. Or, start after dinner and still put her to bed (though sometimes sweaty).

As an added bonus, as the mom of a daughter now getting close to her tween years, I like that she can see me lift at home. Sometimes she wants to come in and try it out, so I'll let her try the EZ curl bar or dumbbells, and she hangs from the pull up bar. She has started telling me about doing chin ups on the monkey bars at school. I want her to see a woman focus on getting stronger, not just skinnier. I'm sure she will hear enough about dieting and getting skinny at school. At home I want her to hear about nutrition and fitness.

Amen! Love the mindset! PERFECT!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

Yes! Those classes are awesome! I work so many muscles in my body! There's no need to feel intimidated either. The classes I've been to you can go at your own pace and rhythm, they are fun and quite a workout!

Oh, I am not intimidated - at all! I am often the only guy in the class (don't ask....). Okay, okay, okay! I am buddies with one of the dancers at the local Gentleman's Club and she is absolutely amazing (travels for competitions) and she has classes on Sundays for the new girls. She knows my interests and invited me one Sunday. Been a few times...other things are more important so I don't go all the time. Have not been in a good while, now that I think of it. Hmm.....might have an update Monday.....:-)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

That's great! I've tried to convince my tween daughter to try some lifting but apparently we complain about being sore from lifting too often. She doesn't like being sore, so she doesn't want to try it.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Oh, I am not intimidated - at all! I am often the only guy in the class (don't ask....). Okay, okay, okay! I am buddies with one of the dancers at the local Gentleman's Club and she is absolutely amazing (travels for competitions) and she has classes on Sundays for the new girls. She knows my interests and invited me one Sunday. Been a few times...other things are more important so I don't go all the time. Have not been in a good while, now that I think of it. Hmm.....might have an update Monday.....:-)

I love both of these perspectives! I only have sons, but I'm glad that they see me lift and be active. And I'm glad that my teenage son is confident enough to be the only boy taking aerial arts. And he has a great physique to show for it.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

That's great! I've tried to convince my tween daughter to try some lifting but apparently we complain about being sore from lifting too often. She doesn't like being sore, so she doesn't want to try it.

Yes, luckily my daughter is only 9. I know it will only get harder as she gets older. Trying to shove as many positive influences in her brain as possible before self doubt, poor body image, and peer pressure try to get in there too.