Working out with back problems

I need to find a way to work out but without agitating my back anymore than I can. I have an L3 herniated disc(I believe its the L3) and I used to lift weights but not sure how much of an option that is anymore. Any suggestions

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    What does your Dr or PT say?

You should ask them.

You may need to ask for a referral to a sports PT if the general PT doesn't provide useful guidance.
  • joewill2848
    joewill2848 Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2018
    To be honest it's been about a year and a half since I seen the surgeon and his advice was not to do surgery he said to keep doing what I've been doing and trying to make it without the operation but I didnt ask him about working out
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Are you able to comfortably walk? Swimming is also a gentle way to get resistance. Definitely don’t push yourself. You don’t want additional injury.

I would be very reluctant to do any weight training or high impact activity without checking in with the doc. He may send you to physical therapy where they can work with you in a way that will help the injury. In my case the physical therapist was really helpful and gave me specific exercises using resistance bands. But without guidance from a therapist who evaluates you it could end up making things worse for you.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Plenty of people still deadlift even with herniated discs (and sometime people don’t even know they have one).

What are you gonna do? Get so weak that you herniate another disk while trying to get out of a car (happened to my mother in law)?
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Definitely see your doctor first. You might need physio first. Walking and stationary cycling would be gentle enough to start with. Maybe swimming, depending on how your back handles twisting and stretching. I found after my disc bulge a few years ago, it wasn't lifting that bothered my disc at first (although I was recommended not to, so I didn't), it was stretching up to reach for things that really aggravated it, also twisting. So, it depends on how your back is personally affected.
  • joewill2848
    Plenty of people still deadlift even with herniated discs (and sometime people don’t even know they have one).

What are you gonna do? Get so weak that you herniate another disk while trying to get out of a car (happened to my mother in law)?

Well I'm definitely not weak as I still work a physically demanding job. I definitely dont understand how guys work out unknowingly with a herniated disc as when mine flares up it pushes against the sciatic nerve and makes it difficult to walk but everyone is different. My #1 priority is providing for my family and whatever decisions I make I always make with them in mind.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    As a general rule, do something low impact. As previously stated, swimming is good. If it doesn't hurt, you could work on body weight exercises to build the strength around your core, front and back.

However, speak to your doctor, they'll be able to give you much more specific recommendations based on your exact problems. They'll be able to give you much better advice than anything we can come up with, and make you much less likely to injure yourself worse.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I would see a MD who specializes in sports injuries first. I have a wonky knee and am extremely obese - so far the best exercise I found for myself is water aerobics. Our gym offers initial lessons which I have adapted for my personal needs. So far, so good.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    I'll second and third those advising to see your doctor. Get the all clear to work on somethings. My doctor advised stretches and also core strengthing exercise. Then, either work with a physical therapist (maybe insurance will cover?) or find a well qualified personal trainer to help you devise a plan of action for building up your core per the doctor's recommendations.

I too have a bulging disk in my lower back. My trainer is working with me on specific exercise modifications to not cause problems with it, but at the same time build my core to prevent future issues. We found squats wanted to irritate it, so we modified them to use an exercise ball against the wall to help support me in the proper form. I'm getting the benefit of the squat without the pain in my back now. Plus he has me doing a LOT of core. Situps, planks, etc. I try to do the rower at least once or twice a week for cardio and with proper form on that, it is a nice addition to help with my core. Yoga (with some modifications) can help too.

But again - DOCTOR FIRST, then take his advice and go from there.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Swimming is as good as it gets for the back. Learning to swim properly requires instruction.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    This happened to my husband, and once he was able to, he started lifting again, but focusing on things that didn't aggravate his back AT ALL. I think there was a lot of trial and error, he'd try a movement with no weight to see if his back would handle it, and he started out with really, really light weights. Once his back was able to handle a bit, he started to add some very light routines that engaged it and has been building up ever since. It's been about 9 months, and he's pretty much back to where he was strength wise in most of his body, and his physio is impressed with how far he's come in such a short time and attributes it to continuing with the strength training. He still has niggling sciatic nerve pain and has some days where he is in a bit of pain, but by and large he is back to normal. Which is great for both of us! The only thing worse than having an injured back is being the spouse of someone with an injured back ;)
  • ordinary1111
    ordinary1111 Posts: 7 Member
    Lat pulldowns, pullups, woodchops, skullcrushers, tricep extensions -- basically any upper body exercise that doesn't involve bending over, or too much lower back stabilization (e.g. bent over or seated rows). Swimming, also. Or aquajogging. Stationary biking?
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    I need to find a way to work out but without agitating my back anymore than I can. I have an L3 herniated disc(I believe its the L3) and I used to lift weights but not sure how much of an option that is anymore. Any suggestions

Swimming, water walking, water jogging, water fitness. Best for folks with back issues, arthritis, joint issues.
  • joewill2848
    1houndgal wrote: »

Swimming, water walking, water jogging, water fitness. Best for folks with back issues, arthritis, joint issues.

That's all good but basically I miss lifting. There is no better feeling than a hard work out
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    I miss lifting, too. I know what you mean. It’s a passion. OP, my bulging disc happened three years ago, and I learned early on that it’d be a while before my back could handle that again. My back could definitely manage it now, but annoyingly, a different issue has come up that is currently preventing me from lifting weights. But, we have to be patient, otherwise more damage could be done.

I’m doing lighter strength work in the meantime. I’m not thrilled about it, but it’s something.