Advice needed on fitness regime for someone who has not worked out since having a baby 2 years ago

Options
csinc79
csinc79 Posts: 2 Member
Hi,
I don’t know where to start as I haven’t done anything in 2 years apart from walking. I’m unfit and not only that but my body aches from not doing anything and being overweight by about 3 stones. I’m so worried about pulling something - my stomach muscles hurt just getting out the bath! Can anyone recommend anything or a good dvd to try to slowly ease me back in. Thanks C

Replies

• duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My 20 year old daughter, who has fallen off the fitness wagon at college, just started using the couch to 5k app and she likes it so far.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Before starting a program, make sure your nutrition is good (doesn't have to be great, but good).

Walk at first. If you have a GPS (MapMyWalk is great for this), walk for 30 minutes - 15 min one way is a great way to walk for 30, and check the distance.

If this leaves you tired, do that same walk for about a week or two.
    Next: Increase your pace a bit to shorten the time walking. Do that until you feel that you can do the walk again and feel good.

Then go for a new 30 minute walk at your new pace. Repeat this until you can get 2 miles in 30 minutes.

Then I recommend C25K if you want to start jogging. It's designed for beginners, but if you get tired doing a quick paced walk for 30 minutes, work on that first. Also note - with C25K, it recommends that if you can't do the next level workout, it's prefectly fine to repeat weeks until you can.

Last thing: rest days are important. While walking can be a great daily activity, any other addition program needs rest days. Starting a new program as a novice; 3x a week is recommended. People that are experienced, still need rest days (usually one day a week is designated as a true rest day), bodies do need a day to recover.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just got in to fitness a few years ago after decades of a sedentary lifestyle. One of the things that held me back was thinking I needed a specific structured program (cardio for fat burning for example).

What I really needed to do was get moving.

I decided to try whatever looked interesting and if it looked fun, keep doing it. Here are some of the things I tried.

Zumba - it’s a blast! The only reason I put it aside was because I had to choose between this and running and I liked running more (doing both was too hard on my knees).

Treadmill - deadly boring! I’ll do it only as a last resort. I’d rather put ice cleats over my runners, bundle up in three layers and run my twenty minutes in a thirty below snowstorm (which I’ve done)

Power lift class - made me stronger and easier to do in a group setting.

Signing up for charity walks. Works for me! When the walks got too easy I learned to run.

Learn to Run class, 10 weeks. One of the best investments I ever made. C25K is very similar. Suitable no matter what your starting fitness is. If you can run for one minute, you are ready for this class.

Yoga - I was flexibly transformed within a year. It always helps me feel so good.

Bottom line, the program that is right for you is the one you will keep doing. Make sure it is something you will enjoy. I’m an introvert so I am not so much for team sports. But a runner can be in their own zone even in a big crowd.

For motivation I sign up for runs in advance. It keeps me moving.

I haven’t tried it but signing up to climb a mountain looks pretty cool.
  • csinc79
    csinc79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your helpful and informative ideas and advice. I will increase my daily walking and look into this C25K you mention as I’ve never heard of this. I have also thought about going swimming again too as a way to ease me back in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    csinc79 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your helpful and informative ideas and advice. I will increase my daily walking and look into this C25K you mention as I’ve never heard of this. I have also thought about going swimming again too as a way to ease me back in.

swimming is good as its easy on the joints.
  • GreggC1968
    GreggC1968 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You cannot go wrong as long as you move enough to raise your heart rate for 20+ minutes to start. Start slowly but stay consistent and in time your body will encourage you to do more
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yea swimming is very good especially if the weight is holding you back.

I don’t run for twenty minutes straight usually. I run for intervals. I am still moving!