Olive oil causing tummy problems

Options

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I thought maybe you were going for the recommendations from American Heart Association of 2-3 teaspoons per day based on calories. I haven't ever tried using a whole tablespoon on one plate of food. I mostly roast veggies with it or sometimes mix it into my salad dressing. But, if I'm having something with a sauce, I'll mix it into the dish while it is warm.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Are you cooking with it or consuming it straight?

I'm pouring over a tablespoon over each dish I meal prep for breakfast and dinner...I didn't cook with it because I thought it would be hard to consume the entire serving so I poured it over my food instead..do you think that's why it's causing the bloat and gas?

What is in your meals? I'd say it's potentially other ingredients that are causing issues

Just one ingredient foods mostly...same things I always eat

A one ingredient food isn’t a meal, it’s a snack. And a pretty boring one at that. Do you enjoy eating this way? Why such a limited diet?
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'll try grassfed butter instead and see if that works better for me...I just made the post to see if anyone went through the same thing with the olive oil but seems like it's not a common thing..thanks for the feedback:)
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You could also try ghee
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    You could also try ghee

What is that?
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You could also try ghee

What is that?

A type of clarified butter; i.e. butter with the milk solids removed (leaving the milk fats)

Ghee is typically prepared by simmering butter, which is churned from cream (traditionally made by churning dahi), skimming any impurities from the surface, then pouring and retaining the clear liquid fat while discarding the solid residue that has settled to the bottom.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

It's very popular in Indian cuisine and also makes great roast potatoes
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    You could also try ghee

What is that?

A type of clarified butter; i.e. butter with the milk solids removed (leaving the milk fats)

Ghee is typically prepared by simmering butter, which is churned from cream (traditionally made by churning dahi), skimming any impurities from the surface, then pouring and retaining the clear liquid fat while discarding the solid residue that has settled to the bottom.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

It's very popular in Indian cuisine and also makes great roast potatoes

Hmm I will have to look into that. thank you!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    If you think it is the Olive Oil, then cut back on it. There are plenty of other healthy fats out there - coconut oil, avocado oil, tallow, ghee, sesame oil, pretty much any nut oils (not peanut, they are a legume). I usually put 1T of Olive Oil on my salad along with some balsamic vinegar with no issues. Or try cooking in the oil instead of just putting it on top of whatever you are eating. Like last night, I made bacon and then I saved the bacon drippings and used some to saute some mushrooms and zucchini and used the rest to fry a couple of eggs.

I follow a Keto diet and my diary is open, feel free to take a look, and if you want to see what those foods actually look like on my plate instead of just in a diary, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share my IG account.

GL!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I lost at Spoof once and my forfeit was to eat a chilli pepper followed by drinking what was left in the cup (about half a cup) of olive oil.

The chili pepper wasn't an issue. Let's just say I wouldn't be drinking neat oil like that again.

as a dressing though, no problems.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    try a different oil to see if anything changes. maybe try decreasing quantity
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    @simply_bubbz - have you tried other foods to get that fat? Eggs? Avocado? Nuts? There are many different oils too - like avocado oil, sesame oil, canola, butter. I know people already mentioned some of these. I have usually one serving (so 1 TB) per day of oil. I use butter, olive oil, sesame oi, bacon fat, and coconut oil. In addition, 28g of raw nuts per day. Usually one serving of cheese, and most days 1/3 of a large avocado. Spread it out over your meals and get a variety, it "goes down" a lot easier.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Olive oil and constipation: Remedies, other treatments, and causes

Olive oil makes stools softer and the insides of the bowel smoother. One tablespoon of olive oil, taken on an empty stomach in the morning, may relieve constipation for many healthy adults. Taking more than this amount can lead to diarrhea and cramps and is not recommended.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313416.php

^^ This may explain your predicament. In the "old days", castor oil was used with the same results.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Title of the post should read, "Too much olive oil causing tummy problems".
  • nicolehorn0114
    nicolehorn0114 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks a tablespoon of olive oil isn’t too much? I frequently cook a large portion of vegetables in a tablespoon of EVOO and eat it in one sitting with no ramifications. Yum!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks a tablespoon of olive oil isn’t too much? I frequently cook a large portion of vegetables in a tablespoon of EVOO and eat it in one sitting with no ramifications. Yum!

I'm with you. When I'm cooking veggies for just myself I typically cook them in 1T of whatever fat I'm using and I routinely top my salads with oil and vinegar and I use 1T of oil.

Disclaimer: I'm following a Keto diet so I understand that my fat intake is on the high side for some.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

She's not cooking with it though. She's pouring it over a dish.

I agree that cooking with 1 T of OO isn't a lot, especially in a non non-stick pan.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options

If it isn't causing problems then it isn't too much. The OP is doing low-carb, too. That combined with this amount of EVOO might be the issue. When mixed with sufficient fiber, maybe that is the difference.

When I make stove top popcorn I use a full serving of oil (0.5 TB EVOO, 0.5 TB butter and 1 tsp coconut oil) for a big bowl and eat it all myself and have no problems.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options

But when you cook with it, you actually lose a lot of the oil onto the base of the pan, and some is absorbed into the food. OP is just poring uncooked olive oil onto their cooked meal, twice a day.