Best cardio for inner thighs

Options
Hi everyone :) ! So I am TRYING to eat foods high in protein and tone my body. I really love cardio ! I do 2 hours a day on my stepper ! I was wondering , which cardio is best for inner thighs ?
thanks

Replies

• allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't think cardio does much for inner thighs, but maybe an HIIT program that incorporates lunges, squatting would help...I also find spinning has done wonders overall for my legs.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Though if you are looking to tone up, I'd recommend cutting back on the cardio and adding strength training.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A moderate calorie deficit and a well structured resistance routine to help preserve the muscle you have.

Also, you shouldn't do cardio every day. Your improvements come when you get rest.

I haven't seen any recommendation to not do cardio every day, for healthy individuals. Strength training, yes, needs a day or two break in between, but cardio can almost always be safely done daily, especially doing low impact and/or low intensity types.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    RunRun72 wrote: »
    I hate resistance training because it does not burn much calories and if I do cardio , I get to burn calories and therefore , eat more
    Maybe look into some crossfit, circuit training or similar types of cardio that incorporate strength training in with your cardio. I work with my trainer twice a week to do some circuit training that works this way and burn loads of calories those days. I can completely feel my muscles getting stronger (under my fat! LOL) But I'm getting there.

Cardio alone isn't going to do it. You are going to have to face that fact.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This is the best article I've seen on "toning".

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

But yes, nothing will specifically target inner thighs. Also, for a lot of women this is the very last place for fat storage (myself included), so it will might not go away until you hit very low body fat levels, which can be unhealthy.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I hate resistance training because it does not burn much calories and if I do cardio , I get to burn calories and therefore , eat more

Actually, while cardio may burn more calories in the moment, strength training actually burns more calories in the long run. Fat cells don't burn calories, but muscles do, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you are burning, even when you aren't working out. Plus, the body also burns calories post strength training to help to heal the muscles. So yes, one hour of cardio burns more calories than one hour of strength training, but strength training burns calories during the activity, after the activity during recovery, and long term through increased muscle mass.

Isn't it about 4 calories per pound of muscle gained? While I agree some resistance training is likely beneficial to all, that "extra burn" is hardly a selling point.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Actually, while cardio may burn more calories in the moment, strength training actually burns more calories in the long run. Fat cells don't burn calories, but muscles do, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you are burning, even when you aren't working out. Plus, the body also burns calories post strength training to help to heal the muscles. So yes, one hour of cardio burns more calories than one hour of strength training, but strength training burns calories during the activity, after the activity during recovery, and long term through increased muscle mass.

Isn't it about 4 calories per pound of muscle gained? While I agree some resistance training is likely beneficial to all, that "extra burn" is hardly a selling point.

I'm not a scientist, so I don't know the exact number of calories, but even if the added muscle mass does burn an additional 4 calories per hour per day, after an entire year, you'd lose 10lbs doing nothing extra. Heck, even if it's only 4 calories per day, after an entire year you'd still lose 1/2lb, again, for doing nothing extra.

While not super scientific, I think that this quote does a great job of explaining it in laymans terms. "But resistance training builds muscle, and muscle burns calories, Keith says. "Muscle is metabolically active, meaning that the more of it you have on your body the more calories you'll burn throughout the day even when you're not exercising,"Nick Clayton, M.S., M.B.A., personal training program manager at the National Strength and Conditioning Association, tells SELF. Experts know that lean muscle mass requires more energy to maintain itself than fat. The more muscle you have, the more calories it needs (and therefore, burns) every day, though the exact number is hotly debated." Source https://www.self.com/story/whats-better-for-burning-calories-cardio-or-weight-training

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

While it might be only a few calories at rest, if you are using them regularly then that adds to the burn. Also for me with more muscle I am able to sit at a higher weight and look lean so that adds up too. I wouldn't go through everything I went through just to burn a few extra calories though!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :) ! So I am TRYING to eat foods high in protein and tone my body. I really love cardio ! I do 2 hours a day on my stepper ! I was wondering , which cardio is best for inner thighs ?
    thanks

There is no cardio that will specifically target inner thighs, or any target area at all. Cardio will simply decrease overall BF% and help with fat loss. I would suggest weight training if your goal is a more toned and firm look.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

but it shouldn't be all about calorie burning - resistance training will do more for your body composition than endless cardio (by far!)
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Sorry to bust in here on this hotly debated topic, but fat cells do burn calories. People (on the internet) say that a pound of fat burns between 2-4 calories a day. They also say that a pound of muscle burns between 5-9 calories a day. It's tough to tell the exact numbers, but everyone is certain that muscle burns more than fat. Then again, your body is supposed to change how hungry you are based on how well you are filling your caloric needs, so even if you need higher maintenance calories then theoretically you'd be that much hungrier.

Concerning OP, I can't tell if they want to reduce inner thigh fat or strengthen their inner thighs. "Tone" is a pretty vague word.

If you want to lose fat, eat less. Inner thigh fat? Eat less. Belly fat? Eat less. Upper arm fat? Eat less. Your body will start to lose fat, and eventually it'll have to come off of your inner thighs. I wish there was a better way for me to magically burn fat off my midsection and leave my boobs alone, but those are pipe dreams.

If you want to strengthen your inner thighs, there's not any cardio that I know of that will do the trick. Do a few sets on the Hip Adducter machine after your cardio session - it will only take a few minutes and you won't be able to sit cross-legged for a week!