Best cardio for inner thighs

Options
2»

Replies

• tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    And AnnPT77 came in and said it better than I ever could have, darnit.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    spin class.

I lost 7 inches from EACH thigh.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    RunRun72 wrote: »
    I hate resistance training because it does not burn much calories and if I do cardio , I get to burn calories and therefore , eat more

Actually, while cardio may burn more calories in the moment, strength training actually burns more calories in the long run. Fat cells don't burn calories, but muscles do, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you are burning, even when you aren't working out. Plus, the body also burns calories post strength training to help to heal the muscles. So yes, one hour of cardio burns more calories than one hour of strength training, but strength training burns calories during the activity, after the activity during recovery, and long term through increased muscle mass.

Isn't it about 4 calories per pound of muscle gained? While I agree some resistance training is likely beneficial to all, that "extra burn" is hardly a selling point.

One pound of muscle burns approximately 30- 50cals a day, that’s about 1-2cals an hour. That might seem small to some. For me I’ve added 5lb of muscle approximately since starting my fitness journey. I’ve been lifting heavy for a year now and am a woman over 35 so it’s been slow going. Still that 5lb I added an extra 150-250 cals I burn every day automatically, or 1050-1750 a week (basically an extra days worth of food from where I started). It adds up.

https://www.ncsf.org/enew/articles/articles-poundofmuscle.aspx
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I hate resistance training because it does not burn much calories and if I do cardio , I get to burn calories and therefore , eat more

Actually, while cardio may burn more calories in the moment, strength training actually burns more calories in the long run. Fat cells don't burn calories, but muscles do, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you are burning, even when you aren't working out. Plus, the body also burns calories post strength training to help to heal the muscles. So yes, one hour of cardio burns more calories than one hour of strength training, but strength training burns calories during the activity, after the activity during recovery, and long term through increased muscle mass.

Isn't it about 4 calories per pound of muscle gained? While I agree some resistance training is likely beneficial to all, that "extra burn" is hardly a selling point.

One pound of muscle burns approximately 30- 50cals a day, that’s about 1-2cals an hour. That might seem small to some. For me I’ve added 5lb of muscle approximately since starting my fitness journey. I’ve been lifting heavy for a year now and am a woman over 35 so it’s been slow going. Still that 5lb I added an extra 150-250 cals I burn every day automatically, or 1050-1750 a week (basically an extra days worth of food from where I started). It adds up.

More like 6 cals / lb /day....

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dissecting-the-energy-needs-of-the-body-research-review.html/
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Count me in the “do both” camp.

When I lost the weight last time I incorporated strength training early. Focusing on core strength and abs. When I reached my goal weight I was stronger and thinner than I had ever been at that weight previously. I don’t believe I spot reduced. I believe building muscle from strength training was aesthetically nicer after the cardio and calorie deficit peeled away the layers of fat.

I plan strength 3x per week. Cardio is generally 5x per week.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think what the OP might've meant was that she was looking for cardio exercises that use the inner thighs while exercising. So, I'm going to answer it in that vein: I find stepping (similar to step aerobics on a step), mostly when I take side steps does work the inner thigh while getting cardio. Also, skating.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    snemberton wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A moderate calorie deficit and a well structured resistance routine to help preserve the muscle you have.

Also, you shouldn't do cardio every day. Your improvements come when you get rest.

I haven't seen any recommendation to not do cardio every day, for healthy individuals. Strength training, yes, needs a day or two break in between, but cardio can almost always be safely done daily, especially doing low impact and/or low intensity types.

Low impact cardio is great to do daily. Running, just like resistance training, needs rest days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

More like 6 cals / lb /day....

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dissecting-the-energy-needs-of-the-body-research-review.html/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/438693-a-pound-of-fat-vs-a-pound-of-muscle/

I’m going to stick with these numbers since it’s been my experience that based on this I have added a few hundred calories to my daily intake to maintain weight

@SCoil123 Did you read the article you linked?

Quote....
    "Common gym lore says that 1 lb. resting muscle will burn 30 to 50 calories daily compared to fat, which burns no calories. The truth is that muscle tissue will burn seven to 10 calories daily per pound. Fat burns two to three calories daily per pound. Replacing a pound of fat with a muscle, therefore, helps you burn an additional four to six more calories each day, says Cedric X. Bryant, chief science officer for the American Council on Exercise. If you utilize a strength training regimen, you can expect to gain 3 to 5 lbs. of muscle mass in three to four months, bringing your net caloric effect to 15 to 30 calories per day. The best way to benefit from the calorie-burning potential of your muscles is to actually use them. Your basal metabolic rate, or the number of calories your body uses when you are at rest, typically accounts for 60 to 75 percent of the calories you burn in a day."

Estimate your muscle mass and multiply by 50 cals and you will see that your belief cannot possibly be true.