Obese, starting to exercise but in so much pain

Options

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    YES. You should not be in pain for days after exercising. If you want to stick with Zumba that's fine, but maybe every other day and then mix in some lower impact stuff like swimming.
    Good luck!
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Find a rowing machine. My Crossfit gym recommends rowing for people that have running issues.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    OP - you’ve received some (mostly) great advice here. I hope you’ll spend the next couple of weeks getting used to weighing and logging your food and keeping at your deficit and not worry too much about “working out”. Sounds like it’s already causing you to burn out.
    Definitely work on moving a little more each day - walking and swimming would be the best. All the Zumba in the world won’t help you lose weight without those 2 things as your main focus. You can do it!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I started cycling and I've fallen in love with it!

I bought a bike and my first ride was barely 10 minutes and 1.8km (1.1 mile) and totally exhausted me! Since then I've slowly progress each week to the point where this weekend I completed a 1h30m ride covering approx 30km (18.5 mile).

The good thing is while I prefer to ride outdoors I also have a turbo trainer that I can hook my bike into and peddle away indoors I just want to do a quick workout session or if it's dark/wet outside.
  • CJFox13
    CJFox13 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't reduce your exercise, but instead change it to something low impact. Elliptical and stationary bike (or even regular biking). That's what I did. My knees bothered me as well, and this helped immensely. Also add in some weights (but ask a trainer for advice before you do). Someone mentioned swimming and it is great as well. (I am too embarrassed to wear swim trunks in public right now...but will do so eventually...lol.)

Don't give up! Soreness is ok...pain is something different. If you're not sure which it is, ask your doctor, but that's not a question anyone on here can answer for you.

I was 110lbs over weight and in 6 months, with 5 days a week of both the 30 minutes of low impact cardio and 45 minutes of weights, I'm down 63lbs and still going. (Watching my diet also, of course).
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When you increase your activity at all, your body is going to feel it. Daily walks are a wonderful thing, but daily Zumba is not! I made the same mistake because Zumba is fun to me, I feel like I'm really working out and it makes me feel good about myself, however, my knees in particular did not appreciate it and I found that I wasn't losing weight and even gained weight a few times. Spoke to a doctor who basically said "there is a reason they have weekly Zumba classes and not daily" It is a full body exercise that is rather strenuous depending upon your particular routine and often times when switching up exercise or working too hard, your muscles become inflamed and cause you to retain water.

I now walk daily, do resistance and flexibility training 2-3 times a week and Zumba once a week. My body loves me for it and the pounds are dropping rather steadily.

Your body needs time to recover, especially when just starting out. It feels good to "feel the burn" because that's what we are told is successful, but it sometimes does more damage than good.

Stretching has been amazing for me. I stretch before and after exercise. I never thought after was important, but I can feel a huge difference (especially in my knees) on the days that I skip stretching after a workout.

Best of luck to you and happy healthy living :)
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I started off this journey with Zumba. Although I thought it was fun I aggravated my crappy knee doing it. (It's a bad knee with screws in it.) I found that with zumba I was twisting and bouncing around more than I should have. Because you are "dancing" proper foot placement seems to not be a priority because you are trying to keep up to the steps. I say put the zumba on hiatus for now. When you have lost some weight try again.

And as a side note I have now lost 56 lbs and my knee has not hurt in months and I do all kinds of group fitness classes now. So your joints will thanks you for getting rid of some weight. I admit to having apologized to my knees and what I put them through.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Over the past couple of weeks I have been walking multiple miles per day and often doing zumba daily. I am obese and trying to lose weight. My body HURTS very bad, beyond just being sore. It is especially hard on my knees. Even when I am resting my knees are hurting. I never had pain before starting to exercise. Am I overdoing it? Should I focus on healthier diet and put off starting an exercise routine for now? I know I will be told talk to my doctor, but I just changed insurance and dont have a new doctor yet so that's not realistic for me yet. What should I do?

If your are in pain I would drop the zumba or modify it to low impact.

Best excercises for you are include recumbent bike or recumbent elliptical. Or a stationary bike. Be sure the seat is adjusted correctly, have a staff trainer help you the first time.

As suggested earlier, ultimate best swimming and swim fitness classes like water walking/jogging, shallow or deep water water aerobics, or aqua zumba (careful there, it can be too much for you).

Walking can be good, but for some it may be painful.

If you can afford it, join a YMCA that has a pool and nice cardio equipment.

If pain continues or is moderate/severe go see your dr and get it checked out. Ask dr for suggestions.

I don't know how heavy you are, but don't let it embarrass you to wear swimming attire. There plenty of plus size swim wear these days to choose from. Either from online, department stores or a local swim shop.

I will share with you that I have done swimming as my excercise due to arthritis. I have lost very close to 40 pounds since last new years eve. Swimming is a very effective way to lose weight, get fit and toned , de-stress.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do implement this gradually. I understand the motivation to course correct quickly and drasticly, but this rarely ends up well. Start with walking, elliptical, and low impact exercise 30mins/day if that suits you and build upon this. If this is too much do less, but simply do something you see yourself doing for weeks, months, years, decades....

You're sore because your body is reacting to new activity - literally building new vasculature to support this. This is why it is key to going slowly in this process. You do not want to outpace your body's ability to react.

It is quite normal, even desired to feel sore....quite another thing to be in pain. If this moves to pain seek out help.
  • wwstewart
    wwstewart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice here. I'm kind ooh in a similar place, although I don't Zumba. I basically sick to eating healthier and walking with a bit of jogging thrown in when I feel up to it. Take it slow, and be sure to rest up, too.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Over the past couple of weeks I have been walking multiple miles per day and often doing zumba daily. I am obese and trying to lose weight. My body HURTS very bad, beyond just being sore. It is especially hard on my knees. Even when I am resting my knees are hurting. I never had pain before starting to exercise. Am I overdoing it? Should I focus on healthier diet and put off starting an exercise routine for now? I know I will be told talk to my doctor, but I just changed insurance and dont have a new doctor yet so that's not realistic for me yet. What should I do?

For me my knee pain went away after losing my first 50 pounds. I started out at 263, I'm now 200, so the last 13 pounds have been easier. I have NOT done any major exercise at all....only hand weights so far. The 63 pounds gone have been all through diet.
    Maybe concentrate on diet for a little while and when a few pounds come off it'll be easier for you too. Now I did make a deal with myself though: I had to start really working out once I got below 200, that is ONE pound away so I'll be enjoying not having knee pain for that
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree with what other posters have said - start slowly, take rest days, warm up and stretch.

What you eat will have more impact on you weight than exercise will. But exercise is great for health and happiness, so keep at it.

I used to do Zumba a lot and when I started my knees were agony. Then some one suggested I get those sock things to put over your shoes. Zumba has lots of sliding moves and most gym shoes have anti slip soles, which isn’t a good combination, the socks make the front of your shoe glide on the floor. Getting the socks for my shoes solved my knee issues over night.

Good luck with your weight loss goals!
  • saymyname2
    saymyname2 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate all replies!!! It is so upsetting and disappointing to realize I have let my body get to the point that I cant even exercise like I would like to! I have such bad knee pain lately, I was thinking of doing a 5K in June. I will hold off for now and try to focus on a better diet. I am starting out at 407lb

First off yay you for taking on this journey!!!!!!!

I started MFP in january at 300lbs. A couple years ago I broke my back, and I have floating knee caps, and hyper-extend knees. so yea the pain is real!!!!!!!!!!!!

But its not forever. Ive had to do very low impact things, I got an exercise bike which has helped the pain in my knees, I went for walks but slowly and rest when I need too, doing weights for my arms has also helped build muscle and burn cals.

Getting my diet under control really really got my weight off fast and the more weight I loose the less and less pain im in. Remember its going to take time. You won't be in pain forever. One day you'll run up the stairs and not even notice you've done it! Give me an add if you want, we can chat and help each other!

Good luck to you darlying and im so proud your doing this!!! <3
  • ScrapStitching
    ScrapStitching Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Start slow. I tried DDP yoga and my back wasn't happy. I started walking 1/4 mile a day and worked up to 1 mile a day after a couple weeks. A little pain is normal, but continued, lingering pain is not. I expect the muscles I haven't used in a while to remind me they exist, but if they remind me for longer than a few days, I'll move onto something else. Try a variety of slower exercises first. Zumba's pretty high energy and may not be the best choice to start. Also remember that if we're overweight, we're blast furnaces and pretty much any movement is good movement.

Be kind to yourself. I promise to be kind to me too :)

Donna
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    DOMS is fine. Injuries need rest.
  • 3reglamc
    3reglamc Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I also started out obese, I still have about 75 lbs to go but I can relate to the pain. Cut back just a little, listen to your body and keep eating healthy. Don’t stop exercises but tone it down and keep a exercise regimen and eat healthier with time it will show and pay off Trust me! Add me if you like
  • callmebubblesdarling2015
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Start off slower with exercise. Your body isn't ready for miles of walking and zumba classes just starting out. That doesn't mean you can't do anything at all.
    When I started and was obese I had to do seated workouts for awhile. There are seated workout videos on you tube for obese, injured or elderly people.
    When I started walking more I had to increase my step count gradually over weeks and months. I needed better shoes too.

Watch your calorie intake.

I second this. When my dad was ill with blood cancer but had to exercise to keep from getting blood clots, I used to go over and do Youtube Sit and Be Fit type videos and seated yoga workouts with him. You can actually work up a sweat doing them, and there's no strain on your knees or other joints.