Staying in a hotel for a month. Gym or kitchen?

Options
BusyRaeNOTBusty
BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Let's say you are staying in a hotel room for a month, out of state, away from family and friends (so lots of spare time). Which would you pick, and Airbnb with a kitchen, or a hotel with a gym, microwave and min-fridge?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say kitchen, at least for myself... there is only so much non-homecooked food I can handle. While my training is super important to me, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable in a hotel gym and they likely wouldn't have what I want/need anyhow. I would bring my workout clothes, shoes and my resistance bands though to get some workouts in.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Let's say you are staying in a hotel room for a month, out of state, away from family and friends (so lots of spare time). Which would you pick, and Airbnb with a kitchen, or a hotel with a gym, microwave and min-fridge?

I would choose a vacation rental with a kitchen, only that I will prioritise locating a nearby gym.

• valzippy
    valzippy Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Kitchen, for sure.
    The best way to control calorie intake is to prepare your own meals.

There are many body weight exercises you can do in the comfort of your room to maintain your fitness routine. A jump rope, some resistance bands and you'll be good to go!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Hm. Airbnbs are 45 min to 1 hr from work site. Hotels are 30 min. Still might be worth it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    I did a month with just a microwave and mini fridge previously. I actually lost weight because the work was hard and I was too tired to go out, so I ate random stuff in the hotel like pouches of tuna, carrot sticks, and microwave popcorn for dinner.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Extended stay hotel with a kitchenette? I'm all about minimizing my commute (says the lady with the 4-minute drive to work)!

If this is an option, go for it. Best of both worlds. That said, my father-in-law used to do a lot of last-minute travel for 1 week to 1 month, and he found he could cook a sufficient variety of food with a George Foreman electric grill and prepared food at supermarkets. He was pretty tolerant of eating grilled steak or chicken over and over and over again, though.

Otherwise, I'd choose the AirBnB, but the commute would make it a close call. I suppose it's too far to bicycle?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    edited June 2018
    Options
    George Forman grill is an awesome idea!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I had to do that, stayed at a nice extended stay Candlewood with both. I could go down the hall and get in a morning workout, then back to my room and cook breakfast.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    George Forman grill is an awesome idea!

Or an Instant Pot?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You can get a workout without a gym. Walk, run, or hike if the area is safe for those things. Bring resistance bands, dumbbells, a yoga mat, sports equipment, whatever you need (or rent/buy it when you get there, if possible). I haven’t been in a gym in well over a year.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ehh, there are pros and cons to both. Either way, I'd look for a gym to use elsewhere.

I'd want to stay in a hotel if it included breakfast, was quiet, had fast and free wifi, a shuttle service, and was in a nice area with lots of things to do. I could always eat room service, or order food in.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If it’s a safe area to walk or run, go with the kitchen.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Kitchen.... look for a local gym if you can. I actually stayed at a hostel that nearly had a professional kitchen. Gym was a 5 minute walk.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I'm all for decreasing stress for work day - so the closer venue with the workout would be my draw. But I would also be needing to plan for healthful eating. It's possible, but more expensive without an actual kitchen.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the odd one out, here, but I'd stay at the hotel with a gym, mini-fridge, and microwave. Microwaved scrambled eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, and any number of healthy things you can microwave (frozen meals, etc.) or you can always pick up a big, healthy salad from the supermarket.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Kitchen. Eating out everyday is just too expensive. I'll just improvise workouts and running requires no gym.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    airbnb