Counting Calories while training for 1/2

Options
I started running in May 2011 and started calories counting via MFP in Jul. I have lost 20lbs and feel great! I am training to run a 1/2 in Dec 2011. My only concern is I keep being told I should not count calories while training. Any thoughts? I am loving the weight loss but don't want to risk injuries, etc.

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    just make sure you eat enough.
    "not counting" can be someone's way of saying "not RESTRICTING".
    Don't have a large deficit. You need fuel. Set your lifestyle to very active, set your goal to 1 lb per week, and aim to REACH that daily.
    Counting can actually HELP, because if you didn't count you may end up undereating for a day or 2 and that would leave you weak and tired and hinder your run.
  • Jillyc72
    Jillyc72 Posts: 13
    Options
    Every pound you are overweight, you will be less fit and run more slowly! I ran my first half in April and counted calories up until the week before. I did 'carb load' a little on the last week mostly just eating all my exercise calories too, but I found I had plenty of energy.

In saying that i set my calorie goal fairly high and 'only' aim to lose 1 pound per week, so I don't restrict myself stupidly.

Good luck with your half!

Jilly x
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    haha i made this mistake...i counted calories and ran a LOT for my local half marathon and wound up underweight with very low blood pressure. you should make SURE you have enough protein and fuel so that you can actually RUN your half marathon!! remember that your body needs fuel, and if you are too worried about going over your calorie limits (yet you ran about 10k that day) you shouldnt worry about it. your #1 goal should be preparing your for this race, not losing weight. (i cant run my half marathon anymore because my doctor wants me to gain weight before i do any training...so dont make the same mistake i did!!) good luck, i hope you make the best choice! <3
  • kbeebop
    kbeebop Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your very helpful input! I had my weekly goal set for 1 1/2 lbs so I went back and updated it for 1 lb. I now have about 200 extra calories/day so it'll be interesting to see if I can tell the difference. Have a great day!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Just don't do what I did when I trained for a HM in march- ate what I liked and didn't count calories. I ended up putting on about 4lb so you still need to watch what you eat and keep within your goal- the good news is you can burn off over 800 - 1000 cals from a long run and then u can enjoy eating more!
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I have been training for a half (I run it next weekend) and I have been counting calories for over 7 months now. That being said....I have also been on maintenance for over 3 months. I eat about 1700 calories per day...feel great and ran a practice half marathon last week (only I did 14 miles instead of 13)!! I ran the whole way and completed my practice half in 2:09 and the 14 miles in 2:19!
  • lp0007
    lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I am training for a half marathon and find mfp is great as I know my calorie targets. It means I won't under eat or over eat :)