Women’s Multivitamin Suggestions?

Options
I currently don’t take a multivitamin and have been trying to research the best for women. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are you deficient in?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I no longer take multis, as when I found one with all the forms and quantities of what I wanted, it was cheaper to just buy individuals. (Re forms, for example you want natural vitamin E (d-Alpha Tocopheryl), not the cheaper synthetic (dl-Alpha Tocopheryl / rac-α-tocopheryl acetate). The studies that showed adverse effects for vitamin E use were using synthetic E.)

I wouldn't bother with a multi that only goes to 100% of RDA. That's just enough to prevent deficiency diseases like scurvy.

For supplements specific to women, I have fibroids and am near menopause, so I take Black Cohosh. I'm 52 and have never had a hot flash, for which the Black Cohosh may or may not be responsible.

I'm anemic so take iron in the form of iron bisglycinate.

I used to take Dong Quai but didn't see any benefits so dropped it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don’t take any medication or vitamins. I just recently had a health exam for life insurance and the lady was shocked that I don’t take any vitamins. I’ve been wondering if I need to?? How would I know if I’m deficient in something?? This is probably a stupid question.
  • StephaBling
    StephaBling Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don’t take any medication or vitamins. I just recently had a health exam for life insurance and the lady was shocked that I don’t take any vitamins. I’ve been wondering if I need to?? How would I know if I’m deficient in something?? This is probably a stupid question.

This is exactly how I’ve been feeling too. I have no idea what I need or if I even need to take multivitamins.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    One a day- women's formula.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I like the NatureMade brand multis.
  • Amy8Lyn
    Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I take Zenwise pre-natal vitamins, it gives me the extra boost in the areas I need it, I also like it for the hair and nail support. I am plant based and find that a multi helps fill in any gaps I might have that day due to nutrition/food choices etc. I have had no stomach issues with these.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Re: testing for deficiencies, I do believe this is a good idea when possible so one is not uselessly creating expensive urine.

However, it is also safe to make some assumptions - people living in the North are statistically likely to be deficient in Vitamin D. People who don't consume iodized salt, foods supplemented with iodine, or sea products, etc., could be deficient in iodine.

Because my life really stinks when my anemia is untreated, I do get iron levels tested at least yearly. If I had thyroid issues, I would monitor this and iodine levels.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

If you're worried you are low on something, take a multi. It probably won't cause any problems as you'll pee it out if you don't use it. You can ask for blood work from your GP. I only found out I had low iron from blood work taken for another medical issue.

OP, when I took multi vitamin, it was Centrum for Women - https://www.centrum.ca/products/centrum-women
  • kshama2001
    Options

Normally deficiencies manifest in unpleasant symptoms.

I have crippling fatigue when my anemia is not treated properly, and I shed a lot of hair.

There are many other conditions that cause fatigue, though, so when you have symptoms like that it is good to get tested.

There are also symptoms when you are over-supplementing - too much beta-carotene and you can turn orange.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I take the generic version of One A Day Women's multivitamin.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If you feel you need a multi-vitamin (that's a different topic!), go to Walgreen's or CVS or whatever, and get the least expensive generic house brand. With the caveat that the inclusion or exclusion of iron might be relevant, all the "Special Formula Just For Special Snowflake You!!!!!!!!" is money-wasting woo.
  • categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I use well woman max- it’s three pills an omega, calcium one and micronutrient one per day.

I’m not qualified to advise on the science but personally I seem to have felt better for taking them and my skins looks clearer and my pmt is not as bad

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

The only way to know if you're deficient is to get a blood panel done and ask for vitamin levels as well, because a regular CBC and CMP don't include these. Like another post mentioned, many people living in North America are chronically low in vitamin D. So make an appointment and get your physical done ☺
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Been buying the Kirkland brand from Costco. They have a women's and a men's formula. Seem to be pretty good.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    hmmm.. I was under the impression that, except in specific medical circumstances, multi vitamins were only really useful for making expensive pee
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Been buying the Kirkland brand from Costco. They have a women's and a men's formula. Seem to be pretty good.

Kirkland's actually are one of the few that are tested & verified by USP (US Pharmacopeia), an independent lab. That's meaningful, since it's an unregulated supplement industry where anything goes. Nature Made are on their list too.

I'd say a multivitamin is a good idea while in a calorie deficit (nutrient deficit), especially since few eat "healthy" 100% of the time. But ask your Dr if you're unsure.

And no, it doesn't cause "expensive pee", unless you consider 10 cents a day expensive. :+1:
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Unless you've had tests in which your doctor recommended you take supplements due to a deficiency, spending your money on them is unnecessary. There have been SO many studies that concluded supplements don't do much of anything cept turn your pee colors. I believe they found some benefit in supplemental B vitamins that your body can get some benefit from. But instead of spending $20 a month for multis, just make sure you're getting all the vitamins and minerals via the food you eat.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options

The only way to know if you're deficient is to get a blood panel done and ask for vitamin levels as well, because a regular CBC and CMP don't include these. Like another post mentioned, many people living in North America are chronically low in vitamin D. So make an appointment and get your physical done ☺

I had a panel done and needed vitamin D. I'm taking prescription D supplements now but hopefully I can fix that with a little more vitamin sun