Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are likely not eating enough.

Hello All, some days I train - run \ walk and may chew up 400 - 600 calories. At the end of the day I log my meals and then get presented with "Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are likely not eating enough." "Completing your diary with fewer than the minimum calories noted above will not generate a news feed post for that day, or show a five-week weight projection.". So, basically unable to show the 5 week program. If I don't train on a particular day and eat the 'same food' as the day I did train, then I'm in the correct zone, around 1350 calories So, on the days that I do train, am I then supposed to open a few beers just so I can get a projection and be in the 1200 - 1500 zone, or basically not train at all, or not train as hard? This seems counteractive when trying to lose weight? Thx.

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    1350 while exercising heavily does sound pretty light on food for a male. Don't know that you need to have beer to get some more calories....I'd consider eating more food though.
  • davidxproctor
    davidxproctor Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks All, okay this is what I see:

Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are likely not eating enough.

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

So I've been eating enough to consume 1350 calories to be in between 1200 - 1500. Perhaps this is not correct? and on days that I train I run off 600 calories. My goal according to MFP is to consume no more than 1838 calories per day in order to lose weight - 82kgs down to 77kgs.

If I run off 600 calories, should I then consume an extra 450 (74%) back plus my daily target of 1838? This would see me eating more than I'm supposed - 2288 which means I wouldn't lose any weight?

I weigh the food that is not labelled ie bread rolls, and also select from the pre-defined database. Thx.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    I get loads of peeps on my friend list doing this double deficiting (ya know the 450 and sometimes less net amount)...the deficit is already built into mfp goals (you input your goals, etc into the system), so taking that deficit, plus exercise and you will be undereating pretty drastically. You may lose weight/fat faster and probably lose lots of lean mass with it, but your hormones and body will not be thanking you later. Eat all of your exercise cals back.
  • davidxproctor
    Okay thank you All. I guess it just didn't make sense to run off 600 calories and then go eat 600 calories straight after. Looks like big breakfasts coming up after my run.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Okay thank you All. I guess it just didn't make sense to run off 600 calories and then go eat 600 calories straight after. Looks like big breakfasts coming up after my run.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • davidxproctor
    Thanks for the link TavistockToad, this does now make complete sense to me. I've actually been pretty hungry over the past couple of days, but just thought I was over eating before...
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    However, IMHO be sure you are running off 600 Kcals....how are you estimating this?

Last weekend I played 2hrs of tennis. MFP gave me 1469 Kcals when I logged it under the cardio section. Now someone who's actually good a tennis might burn that many but I'm fairly certain I didn't even burn half of that.

All of the advice above is good sound and practical advice but just as people caution that you need to be tight with logging/weighing etc. You need to be realistic with calorie burn too. (I'm not saying your not.)

30mins Running (jogging), 8 kph (7.5 min per km) gives me 367Kcals
    30mins Running (jogging), 16 kph (3.7 min per km) gives me 734Kcals

If I wore my Garmin it would probably give me a different number again base on HR.

I know this is why people say only eat back a portion but I think people need to be careful there eat back a portion of the correct estimate.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    edited June 2018
    However, IMHO be sure you are running off 600 Kcals....how are you estimating this?

Last weekend I played 2hrs of tennis. MFP gave me 1469 Kcals when I logged it under the cardio section. Now someone who's actually good a tennis might burn that many but I'm fairly certain I didn't even burn half of that.

All of the advice above is good sound and practical advice but just as people caution that you need to be tight with logging/weighing etc. You need to be realistic with calorie burn too. (I'm not saying your not.)

If I wore my Garmin it would probably give me a different number again base on HR.

I know this is why people say only eat back a portion but I think people need to be careful there eat back a portion of the correct estimate.

running is easy to calculate an accurate burn for:

bodyweight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles

So time and speed don't have any effect on calories burned?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

So time and speed don't have any effect on calories burned? Or current fitness levels?

not as much as you'd think, no.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

So time and speed don't have any effect on calories burned?

Not a significant difference, no.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Actually that's an interesting formula.

I've always used Kcal = BMR X Mets/24 X hour 

Using my stats for an 8 mile run gives me:-

1043 Kcal - 14mph
    936 Kcal - 8mph
    952 Kcal 4mph

Your formula gives 1033 Kcal which I think is surprisingly (at least to me) accurate and much easier to work with.

However MFP gives me 1239Kcal for 8 miles at 8mph which I still think is a bit high.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Actually that's an interesting formula.

I've always used Kcal = BMR X Mets/24 X hour 

Using my stats for an 8 mile run gives me:-

1043 Kcal - 14mph
    936 Kcal - 8mph
    952 Kcal 4mph

Your formula gives 1033 Kcal which I think is surprisingly (at least to me) accurate and much easier to work with.

However MFP gives me 1239Kcal for 8 miles at 8mph which I still think is a bit high.

If you want the science behind the number look here.

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20843760/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn/