Best Affordable Multivitamin for Women?

Options
I am trying to get on a good multivitamin but the ones that look the best are like $60! Currently with my financial situation (and planning a friend's wedding with her) I cannot afford to pay $60 for vitamins. Have you guys found any that you like?

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    A One-A-Day is just fine. Unless you're missing a whole lot of nutrients, ie eating almost nothing but candy & chips, you don't need the absolute best.
  • jenmarie8784
    jenmarie8784 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been taking one a day womens multivitamins for at least 2 yrs and I like them.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i take a generic one a day.

of all the things i spend money on, overspending on vitamins isn't one of them. you pee most of it out anyways lololol
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    What is your reason for taking a multi vitamin? Are you deficient? Honestly, most vitamins are just expensive pee unless you have an actual deficiency.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm paying about $4-5 for a bottle of 100 generic one a day multivitamins. I started taking it because I was feeling run down. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism but still take the vitamin because I have it and it may help a bit. From what I have read generic is just as good as a name brand.

What do you think you need from a multivitamin and why do you think a $60 bottle is better than a $5 bottle?
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm a one a day girl too and even still have neon yellow pee sometimes so I'm pretty sure you don't really need those $60 ones
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The last I heard was that studies showed that vitamins didn't increase the longevity or health of people studied except in those with actual deficiencies (who are taking specific vitamins in larger doses such as iron, B12, folate etc rather than than a multivitamin.) So personally, I wouldn't bother, I especially wouldn't spend $60 on it. (I've seen expensive vitamins before, I think the extra expense is the marketing, not the product, myself.) If you really want to take one, just get something basic from your chemist.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Find something without copper, it can have nasty consequences if you have too much.

If you are under 60, not getting elderly, in good health, with a good, broad ranging diet you should have no need of vitamins and minerals.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Since I am over 50yo, I use over 50 vitamin supplements. I spend $7 for my generic of 125 caps.
    Never would spend over $10.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to pay $60 for any supplement.

Generics are fine, if you find there's something specific that you want to supplement additionally, a mineral one a day or a joint health one a day or a B Complex one a day, etc still shouldn't cost you $60
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've tested deficient in is Vitamin D so I take a basic 2000 IU of that each day. Otherwise, there's really no point. Have you checked with your doctor? He/she can do the tests and let you know what you specifically need.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    What is your reason for taking a multi vitamin? Are you deficient? Honestly, most vitamins are just expensive pee unless you have an actual deficiency.

This. More and more evidence that if you have a reasonably healthy diet it's a complete waste of money unless a blood test has found something very deficient. Eat real food, more variety is better, ditch the vitamins.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I actually think that most multivitamins are pretty worthless. The kind of people that actually regularly take the darned things usually eat well enough to not need them, and the people that could benefit from them usually aren't willing to take them regularly.

I save my monthly supplement budget to focus on protein and gut health and buy protein powder/bars and probiotics/enzymes instead.