• jenmarie8784
    jenmarie8784 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I didn't say that. I can do both. Lol
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Like the poster above me said, make sure you weigh and measure everything (but that's true for here too) but that'll keep you on the right portion size. Freestyle requires a higher vigilance with portion size since so much stuff I like is 0 points. I did online for a 50 pound loss and then went to meetings for goal and lifetime. I'm here now for tracking purposes as it's a bit "truer" for me and what I want to accomplish.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I was on and off Weight Watchers a bunch of times over the past 20 years, and I have to say that I really don’t like their new program. Giving me so many “free” foods while making everything else REALLY high in points is just disastrous for me. I find calorie counting so much easier AND livable. What you pay for mfp premium for a year would be eaten up in a couple months on WW online.
  • kayafit37
    kayafit37 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nice enough meals but lacking in portion size
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to sign up Friday. Wondering if it's worth the money. Lol

With so many foods being free, why bother logging? Plus MFP is free or cheaper (if you use premium). Jmo
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I never believed WW is worth the money, especially if you are doing online only. Their website and their app are terrible. There are few support features, no forum like the one here on MFP, just a part of the app where people can post images, but no in-depth interaction with other members. If you have a great in-person group, it might be worth it if you can afford it, but for what they charge, their online tools are greatly lacking.
  • ginjennie
    ginjennie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have done both ww meetings , online and mfp. Yes I did lose weight with ww and kept it off but it was easy to over eat and I myself had far too much processed diet ww food. Personally I prefer mfp features especially nutrutional and macros features which has really taught me about what I am eating.

• BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I can't make it work. When a 200 calorie protein bar is 1/3 of my daily points, and an occasional piece of cheesecake is ALL of my daily points **plus** some weekly points...that's just setting myself up for failure.

I think if you are a super healthy eater and don't have a sweet tooth, it could work!
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've never tried WW so cannot comment on their methodology, I do feel it's accountability due to having to pay?

I feel my time on MFP has given me a far deeper understanding, sure I've had some clashes in the fora, but that gave me strength to analyse what I was doing to be right and to challenge my Dr's with my MFP reports.
    If it weren't for MFP, I wouldn't have known my electrolytes were low, a fact my Dr's didn't think it important to tell me. Well in my life it was, it transformed me, upping my Potassium, Magnesium and Selenium. No way would I have had that info on a closed system.

Al the best which ever road you take.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I signed up for online membership. I was a WW member more than 20-30 years ago when they had you track protein/carbs/dairy/etc. I still hate that they don’t do that anymore. Yes, you do get more food on their plan, so that’s my range....MFP for low end, WW for high end.

Also, I didn’t really join to be able to “count points” - I’m currently in the process of trying to get the lap-band and still have a hoop or two to jump through before doing it (and today, a wrench was thrown into it a little) - but the appointments with the surgeon are every month.

I’ve ended up going to the WW meetings so that I can weigh in each week instead of once a month at the surgeon’s office. It helps ‘keep me legal”. Otherwise, I’d have 3 weeks of gains and 1 week of loss or something doing the, “Duh - I dunno why I’m not losing more.....”LOL

It’s been worth the money to go have the weigh-in. They know who I am. I went in there back in April after having been gone for a few years, and one of the clerks who was weighing people in remembered me. They’re a fun group.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I can't make it work. When a 200 calorie protein bar is 1/3 of my daily points, and an occasional piece of cheesecake is ALL of my daily points **plus** some weekly points...that's just setting myself up for failure.

I think if you are a super healthy eater and don't have a sweet tooth, it could work!

This is exactly how I feel. Eating a candy bar should not "ruin" my entire day when it easily fits into my calorie goals. Just speaking personally, that plan would set me up to binge because I've "already ruined it" anyway with something as simple as one dessert, when MFP shows me that I can easily eat the things I want in moderation.

I also think that unless you eat super healthy foods all day long (i.e. a normal dinner for you is plain chicken and vegetables) WW sets you up to undereat by deciding that certain "bad" foods are worth tons of points even if they're not that high in calories. This again sets people up to binge because they just get too hungry.

I could see the in person weigh-ins being motivating, but if you're just doing online anyway idk why you wouldn't just stick with this site for free.
  • ha9032761
    ha9032761 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I kind of want to sign up and find the highest points possible per meal while staying in a calorie deficit, going to a meeting and hearing them berate me while i then step on the scale and lose weight. Then ask them to explain.

Just for funzies

They would shut you down so fast this really happened in a class that I attended someone spoke up about calories do matter and portion control she quickly changed the subject

WAste of money imo
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,320 Member
    Options
    I did WW for about 10 years but I quit when sugar became a huge part of their points calculation, because of the exact effect that @BlessedMom70 pointed out.

That said, WW was the first program that ever gave me any weight loss success. The current WW program is obviously trying to lead people to eat food that is more healthy: more veggies, fruit, lean proteins, whole foods, and so forth. If that's what you are looking for, or even if you just want a change, it could work great for you. Yeah, they are trying to make money, and I agree with much of what was said above, but there's a lot of negative feedback here and I wanted to point out that WW isn't ALL bad.