Calories with frying?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I'd look up a toasted ravioli entry in the database and just use it.

Have you considered just taking out a portion of frozen un-breaded ravioli for yourself and boiling it or baking it with some sauce? That is probably what I would do if calories were tight.

OP hasn't suggested she doesn't want to eat her son's birthday dinner, just that she's unsure how to calculate the calories. She's not looking for alternatives. There's nothing wrong with what she plans to eat, she just want to know how to calculate it.

You are right that she did not ask specidically about alternatives eating non-fried ravioli.
    She asked for suggestions though and I took that to mean "how would you handle this situation". I posted what I might do in that situation. I would use a similar toasted ravioloi entry in the database or just boil some ravioli for me so I can eat some more cake. The recipe I saw uses frozen ravioli that is breaded and fried. Boiling a portion of frozen ravioli is lower calorie, not much work and does not taste bad to me so I thought it a reasonable suggestion to bring up. If it causes her stress and difficulty to fit in this particular food into her day there is an easy option that she could consider.

If the OP really wants to eat the breaded fried ravioli then she certainly can and should.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Basic breadcrumbs are ~25 calories per tablespoon. Assume one ravioli will use about 10 calories worth. Eggs are 70 calories each. For simplicity, assume that one large egg will coat 7 ravioli. That's another 10 calories. Finally, assume that each ravioli will absorb about a teaspoon of oil. That's ~40 calories.

So, I'd add about 50-60 calories to each ravioli on top of the calories in the pasta and filling and call it done.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to know the calories? do you have to eat what he eats? he's the birthday boy, let him have his treat. you eat some boiled ones and call it a day.

OP wrote "it's hard for me to gauge how to eat through the day to help it fit," they're planning on having some too. Why not?

Yes, I saw that. I didn't think it was a big deal but I guess fried foods don't interest me as much as they interest OP.

That's the thing -- we're all interested in different foods. Some of us like fried foods, some of us like to try the foods we cook for special occasions, some of us like to share special meals with loved ones. All of these approaches are absolutely fine -- OP is figuring out how to fit this special meal into her plan.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How have I lived for almost 36 years and not had fried ravioli?! It sounds delicious!

It's really good.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    How have I lived for almost 36 years and not had fried ravioli?! It sounds delicious!

I've had it as an appetizer at restaurants a few times, and it's rather yummy :blush:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    summpear wrote: »
    I'm making my son's birthday dinner tomorrow and he wants fried ravioli. This is a Pioneer Woman recipe (hello calories!) that involves double breading ravioli and pan frying it in oil. The calories are not just a sum total of the ingredients. With the egg bath and coating, and the frying oil, not everything is absorbed into the food.

I've thought about measuring what I put out to use etc, then measuring what is left over, but 1) that's super tasky, and 2) there's no way for me to calculate the calories until after I make it, so it's hard for me to gauge how to eat through the day to help it fit.

Any suggestions?

Is this the recipe? http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/toasted-ravioli/

I have half a bag of frozen ravioli that my OH liked but I didn't - I bet breading and frying fixes them for me :sunglasses:

doesnt breading and frying fix MOST things???????? lolololol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    anyways, OP .... find a similar, high calorie one in the database and use it. Personally, i use the recipe builder and go by that.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

They are really horrible and you should never try them. I will save you by eating them all myself.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If OP wants to eat it, eat it. Log it as a cheat meal or cheat day.

For the record, I wasn't raised eating fried foods. I don't even know how to fry anything. That doesn't make me a stick-in-the-mud.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    Log uncooked raviolis for the number you ate. Depending on how many you ate add 5 to 10g of flour, 5 to 10g of egg, 5 to 10g of canola or other oil... you won't be off by more than a couple of hundred calories! A small cutting error with your slice of cake will easily take care of that! :smiley:

Unless you participate in quite a few birthdays every month, neither inaccuracy (the ravioli or the potentially shaky cake slice cutting) will matter in the context of the ~730,000 maintenance calories a mythical woman eats in a year!

Happy (son) Birthday!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

They are really horrible and you should never try them. I will save you by eating them all myself.

We can't ask you to do that... pass the plate over here. Now let go... I said, let go!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    We can't ask you to do that... pass the plate over here. Now let go... I said, let go!

All I'm saying is that I have "fresh"(ly vacuum packed) ravioli sitting in the fridge!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

All I'm saying is that I have "fresh"(ly vacuum packed) ravioli sitting in the fridge!

Yes but we all know your weakness now. Look at this nice cup of coffee. What do you want with ravioli when you could be drinking a hot cup of joe with an unknown amount of creamer in it?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    coooooooooooooofeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! <no creamer today ;-)>