low energy levels

Options
Hi all,

I recently started using MFP properly and have already seen a good first week lose of 3lb - whoop!

however, I'm finding that this week, I'm feeling really lethargic and tired.

Any low calorie energy boosting foods that people can recommend?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    calories are what give you energy, so...

what is your current calorie goal? you may need to decrease your deficit.
  • Trufflepig1
    Trufflepig1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1490 daily. After my daily exercise I'm normally only left for between 10 - 150 for the day so I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough - I weight everything atm as just starting....
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Could you open your diary? It might help if we can see
  • Trufflepig1
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Could you open your diary? It might help if we can see

how do I do it?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1490 daily. After my daily exercise I'm normally only left for between 10 - 150 for the day so I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough - I weight everything atm as just starting....

have you cut out fizzy drinks and coffee?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I just jump into a diet. It is better for me to transition over a week of gradually eating less. It could also be what @TavistockToad is suggesting that you need to decrease your deficit (lbs per week to lose). Some people choose 2lbs per week no matter what and that can be too aggressive depending on your stats.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Did you create a large deficit quickly? Are you also exercising?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Op go into your diary settings and click an option like make public.
    You may be creating too large of a deficit. Or it just could be a strange week because of the new diet.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sleeping enough?
    How much and often do you workout? How intense are your workouts?
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Everyone is the same. Calories are energy, reduce the normal intake and your body suffers, doubly so if you do what I did and go from 3 lattes a day to 1. I tried to set aside an extra hours rest a day and added back one black coffee. There is no magic food I'm afraid.
  • Trufflepig1
    edited June 2018
    Options
    100_PROOF_ I've made it public and looked over the last week - there were a few days where there were over 200 calories left :o so I'm making more of an effort to make sure I actually eat the calories I'm supposed to.

TheMrWobbly - I have reduced my coffee intake a bit so may try having a black coffee now and then again.
    erickrib - I don't know about enough sleep but I do sleep well - asleep as soon as I hit the pillow until my little ones wake me around 6am
    mabearof6 - I've been making an effort to get out walking a lot more than I used to and it has been very very hot this week here - although I do make sure to keep hydrated with water.
    TavistockToad & NovusDies - I'll look into what you have both said too.

Thank you all for the tips :-)
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I tried the Paleo diet to lose weight. It worked; I lost weight. I had chronic fatigue while I was on it.

I went to see my physician to try to figure out what was wrong. They took my blood pressure that morning and it was 95/54. The nurse asked me, "Is your blood pressure normally this low?" To which my immediate, and shocked reply was a loud, "No." I had just had coffee for breakfast 30 minutes before my appointment and thought it would have been higher than that at least! The nurse asked me if I felt tired and I definitely did. The coffee had not helped to perk me up.

After several months of being on the Paleo diet and not knowing what was causing my fatigue, I started doing some research on complex carbohydrates. Turns out several of the foods I had eliminated on the diet were foods full of complex carbohydrates and energy. I added brown rice and steel cut oats back into my diet and that helped immensely.

Your portions of complex carbohydrates don't have to be big to get some energy. I typically eat a 1/4 cup of steel cut oats for breakfast in the morning and a 1/2 cup of brown rice at lunch and with dinner.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ I've made it public and looked over the last week - there were a few days where there were over 200 calories left :o so I'm making more of an effort to make sure I actually eat the calories I'm supposed to.

TheMrWobbly - I have reduced my coffee intake a bit so may try having a black coffee now and then again.
    erickrib - I don't know about enough sleep but I do sleep well - asleep as soon as I hit the pillow until my little ones wake me around 6am
    mabearof6 - I've been making an effort to get out walking a lot more than I used to and it has been very very hot this week here - although I do make sure to keep hydrated with water.
    TavistockToad & NovusDies - I'll look into what you have both said too.

Thank you all for the tips :-)

It seems like exercise/work in hot weather zaps my energy no matter how many calories I eat.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Raisins and bananas are good for energy
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is like my rocket fuel.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would guess it is one of three things:

1. You aren't eating enough.
    2. You lost electrolytes (sodium/salt) with some early water weight so you are having symptoms of low electrolytes (fatigue, headaches, moodiness, bm issues and muscle weakness)
    3. you have something else up in the body like illness, injury or(if female) it's around that time of the month.

My guess is low sodium. Try a salty cup of broth/boullion and see if it helps. It's the simplest fix to try too. :)