Logging exercise with Fitbit HR/Step counter

Options
Hi y'all. I'm just curious about whether to log my cardio in MFP or just let my fitbit track my steps/distance. I have linked my fitbit to MFP so it tells me the approximate calories I burn along with the steps, distance, active minutes and flights of stairs I've climbed throughout the day. I guess it's better to under estimate the amount of exercise/calories burned in a day than mistakenly over estimate so I don't put in MFP when I go for a run or walk. What are your thoughts on this and how do you track and log your calories burned. Looking forward to reading your replies.

-AJ

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I only log food on MFP and let FitBit calculate activity. They are synced with negative adjustments enabled and I’ve found this method very accurate. I have the Charge2. It auto detects walks, runs, swimming, aerobics, and “sport”.
  • AJ1416
    AJ1416 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I only log food on MFP and let FitBit calculate activity. They are synced with negative adjustments enabled and I’ve found this method very accurate. I have the Charge2. It auto detects walks, runs, swimming, aerobics, and “sport”.

I also have the Charge 2, I didn't know it was water proof? But yes I'm just going to keep it how I have it now like yours, synced with negative adjustments enabled.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I record food on MFP and auto record activity on Fitbit. On extremely rare occasions I might fiddle with the auto recognized activities on Fitbit's web site!

I am synchronized with MFP with negative Cal enabled.

Since my activity level regularly exceeds MFP very active, I am setup on MFP as very active, not sedentary. This does result in a more variable adjustment throughout the day ranging from -600 to +600 Cal.

I have linked Fitbit.com to trendweight.com and use my trending weight in my weight change calculations.

I review my monthly calories in from MFP (macros multiplied out) to my monthly calories out from Fitbit and the change in trending weight and determine a "Fitbit error" (I choose to view it this way, it could also be viewed as a food logging error, it's just that I prefer to blame my Fitbit as opposed to me!!)

The Fitbit error is usually between 0% and 5%.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I believe the Charge 2 is water resistant, not water proof, swimming/showering is not recommended. But yes, let Fitbit track it all, you only need to log food into MFP. Any manually logged exercises should be done in the Fitbit app, then Fitbit will let MFP know.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge 2 and only input food and non step exercise (Pilates) to MyFitnessPal. I let Fitbit do the rest including my daily walk. I set it to record walking over 20 minutes.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I also have a Charge 2, but I don't sync it to MFP. I use it primarily as an activity tracker - to motivate me to move more. I get about 12000 nonexercise steps a day - just regular activity. I manually enter my "planned exercise" to get a clearer picture on my calories burned during exercise.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Log food directly into MFP.
    Activity tracker in my smart watch updates steps in Google Fit which updates steps in MFP
    Cycling is recorded in Strava which updates MFP

That pretty much it for usual activity.

We are having a Zorb Soccer team building day at work in a few weeks. I'll probably just manually log that as 'Football Casual' as it's a one off.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I see you doing some strength training.

That type of workout is best manually logged - Fitbit has slightly better database method of estimating calorie burn.
    HR based calorie burn is inflated.

Circuit training entry is reps 15-20, rests of up to a min before next machine.
    Weight lifting entry is reps 5-15 and sets, rests of 2-4 min.
    Those entries are based on studies (the whole database is actually) and that's what was behind those studies for usage.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    AJ1416 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »

I also have the Charge 2, I didn't know it was water proof? But yes I'm just going to keep it how I have it now like yours, synced with negative adjustments enabled.

I was told resistant but not 100% water proof - so you can only stay on the surface. I’ve honestly been afraid to try it