Hard to focus on counting calories and nutrition at the same time

I have just 10-15 lbs. I want to lose, and I know that even a 5-10 lb. loss can make a difference in one's health. I don't eat Snickers bars all day, but I don't eat kale all day either. Right now, I am focusing on getting the extra weight off and eating things that I enjoy that fit within my daily calorie goals. So in other words, I eat oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, etc. but I also eat things that can't really be deemed health food by any stretch of the imagination.

I figure that getting the extra weight off now is more important than making sure I have my 5-7 servings of fruits and veggies every day. I plan to focus more on nutrition in the future, but trying to stay within my calorie goals *and* focusing on superb nutrition at the same time is only stressing me out.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Concentrate on calories first and foremost. Next look at macros and find a balance that works for you taking into account your preferences and what helps most with satiety. Lastly look at micronutrients. If you do it all at once it will be overwhelming. This is a lifelong journey, not just a quick weight loss fix. If you want the weight to stay off you need to find a plan you can stick with forever.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    No one is perfect my friend! Even trainers and models gotta eat some tacos or pizza! Instead of focusing on cutting calorie dense indulgences out, switch to a focus on adding whole nutritionally dense foods more. I had to let go of the idea that food is "bad food" or "good food". It's all feeding your body and your mind in different ways.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    I have just 10-15 lbs. I want to lose, and I know that even a 5-10 lb. loss can make a difference in one's health. I don't eat Snickers bars all day, but I don't eat kale all day either. Right now, I am focusing on getting the extra weight off and eating things that I enjoy that fit within my daily calorie goals. So in other words, I eat oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, etc. but I also eat things that can't really be deemed health food by any stretch of the imagination.

I figure that getting the extra weight off now is more important than making sure I have my 5-7 servings of fruits and veggies every day. I plan to focus more on nutrition in the future, but trying to stay within my calorie goals *and* focusing on superb nutrition at the same time is only stressing me out.

For many folks, easing your way into healthier lifestyle changes is helpful. I started with logging my foods first. Then when I felt ready, I also added more excercise to the mix.

Logging your foods that you have eaten helps you gain more understanding of which foods fill you up/which foods keep you satisfied longer, and which foods have the best nutritional value.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Make small changes over time. If you ard not used to eating much fruit or vegetables, maybe add one serving to your day. When you are used to that maybe add another.

You don't have to be perfect to lose weight and be healthy. It is okay if you don't have a perfect diet ever.